Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading need help on 9mm major loads

Practicalomaha

I am shooting and STI open 9mm and I will be  reloading ammo final and trying to decide on what bullets and loads to use. Yes I have done my searching and read a lot but still not sure what to go with. Here is what I am thinking for bullets unless anyone has any better suggestions. 115 gr. Rn blue bullets or 115 gr jhp Everglades bullets. Would really like to use the blue bullets but mostly want to use what is most accurate and soft shooting. Any help and suggestions is appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Practicalomaha

Pcrecision Delta  124jhp or 115jhp. I love the 115 grain. I’ve tried blue at 115 an I didn’t like pushing em at 1480fps. The blues 125 tc sized at .356 are very accurate an a lot less powder to push. 

For open 9mm stick with jacketed bullets because cleaning the comp is a lot of work. 124 gr Bullets is what I prefer with CFE or Autocomp. For practice you can shoot coated Bullets but you have to spray the comp with a case lube every so often to keep stuff from sticking to the comp.

I have no experience loading or shooting 9major.

However from a general reloading background I would suggest:

1. You are new to reloading

2. You have a factory load that you are happy with

3. You can buy the same bullet the factory load uses

4. I would try to find out what powder the factory load uses and either use that or research the closest available substitute

5. Consider using the factory load parameters as a starting point... i.e. COL, crimp, etc.

6. With respect to #5: Check out a couple or three load manuals to ensure that using the factory parameters isn't sending you into the deep end of the pool right off the bat.

7. Research the concept of starting low and working up your load

I'd also suggest that starting your reloading career it's nice if you can find a mentor.

I would think that is especially true if you are starting with a 9major load from the getgo.

Edited by ddc
typo

18 minutes ago, ddc said:

I have no experience loading or shooting 9major.

However from a general reloading background I would suggest:

1. You are new to reloading

2. You have a factory load that you are happy with

3. You can buy the same bullet the factory load uses

4. I would try to find out what powder the factory load uses and either use that or research the closest available substitute

5. Consider using the factory load parameters as a starting point... i.e. COL, crimp, etc.

6. With respect to #5: Check out a couple or three load manuals to ensure that using the factory parameters isn't sending you into the deep end of the pool right off the bat.

7. Research the concept of starting low and working up your load

I'd also suggest that starting your reloading career it's nice if you can find a mentor.

I would think that is especially true if you are starting with a 9major load from the getgo.

#6 is generally N/A when it comes to 9MAJOR. I initially got all of my load info from these forums. 

8 minutes ago, Sarge said:

#6 is generally N/A when it comes to 9MAJOR. I initially got all of my load info from these forums. 

I agree, I forgot that 9major is it's own special animal that doesn't really exist as far as the load manuals are concerned.

Still, perusing a couple of load manuals for the general reloading information provided would be time well spent for someone new.

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you aren’t planning to load a JHP at least until the gun is sorted out, if not permanently, I do not believe you did that much research.

Agreed...

Seems like nearly every day there is a post like this, and we answer, and then the next guy comes in asking the same questions...

It's not rocket science! Pick a bullet and powder, and work up to major. It's what I had to do...

Edited by RiggerJJ

11 hours ago, Practicalomaha said:

I will be  reloading ammo final  115 gr. Rn blue bullets or 115 gr jhp Everglades bullets.  

I'd skip the BB's and use the JHP's - 115's are great, but most people use 124's.

I've used 124's and 115's with AutoComp (WAC) and HS6.  Both are good.

With the 124 gr, I use c. 6.7- 7.0 gr WAC or 7.5- 7.7 gr HS6.

But, it's important that you start low, and work up slowly with a chronograph.

Good luck, and welcome to reloading    :) 

Everglades loads their major ammo short, so the first thing to do is see how long a round passes the plunk test.  BTW, only use JHPs if you want the best accuracy and cleanliness.  You may have to get the barrel throat reamed to load long.  Loading long decreases pressure and generally improves feeding.

In my Open gun, Everglades major hits my hand hard.  That's because they use a 'medium' speed powder and not enough gas is generated to work my very efficient comp.

My advice to you is to load to 1.160" or longer as long as that length works in your barrel.  Start with 124gr JHPs and slower powders like AA7 or Major Pistol powder.  Pressures will be relatively low and you'll generate a lot of gas.  Do the Brazos test with your load after you reach 170 PF.  If it passes, try working up loads with 115gr JHPs.  You'll generate more gas.  The idea is to make just the right amount of gas to work the comp and have very little exiting the front of the comp.  That will give you the softest feel.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

Everglades loads their major ammo short, so the first thing to do is see how long a round passes the plunk test.  BTW, only use JHPs if you want the best accuracy and cleanliness.  You may have to get the barrel throat reamed to load long.  Loading long decreases pressure and generally improves feeding.

In my Open gun, Everglades major hits my hand hard.  That's because they use a 'medium' speed powder and not enough gas is generated to work my very efficient comp.

My advice to you is to load to 1.160" or longer as long as that length works in your barrel.  Start with 124gr JHPs and slower powders like AA7 or Major Pistol powder.  Pressures will be relatively low and you'll generate a lot of gas.  Do the Brazos test with your load after you reach 170 PF.  If it passes, try working up loads with 115gr JHPs.  You'll generate more gas.  The idea is to make just the right amount of gas to work the comp and have very little exiting the front of the comp.  That will give you the softest feel.

Thanks for the info. I will try to work off of this. Thanks!

sence you are using a STI you should be able to load 1.160 to 1.170 length.

Look at 9x21 load data to get a idea of what you need to do. Go slow use a chronograph 

ive been loading 9 major for awhile and have tried a few combos, plated, coated ,JHP 115 and 124

AA#7 and Autocomp.

i have found this works best for me, with no powder spillage from case and isn't a compressed load either 

7.0 grains out Autocomp

124 grain JHP  " i use precision deltas "

1.160  - 1.165 OAL

You will still need to chrono to verify your PF

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2019 at 10:01 AM, zzt said:

Do the Brazos test with your load after you reach 170 PF.  If it passes, try working up loads with 115gr JHPs.  You'll generate more gas.  The idea is to make just the right amount of gas to work the comp and have very little exiting the front of the comp.  That will give you the softest feel.

Whats the Brazo's Test?

Hold the barrel a couple of inches away from a white no shoot, or white cardboard.  Pull the trigger and examine the hole.  At worst it should be slightly speckled.  If it is more than that, you have too much gas going out the front of the comp.

Here is his article.  http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0607.htm  scroll down for the picture.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Hold the barrel a couple of inches away from a white no shoot, or white cardboard.  Pull the trigger and examine the hole.  At worst it should be slightly speckled.  If it is more than that, you have too much gas going out the front of the comp.

Here is his article.  http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0607.htm  scroll down for the picture.

Thanks! That article is great

Edited by jbultman