Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you train? Poll.

BamaShooter88

On 7/15/2022 at 11:05 AM, Shady said:

Started USPSA in the beginning of 2020, as a C class shooter in CO.  Shortly there after I got the PCC bug and sit in B class currently.  I seem to struggle with finding time to practice for both.  I also struggle with consistently finding the time to dry fire.  However, I am more committed this year, have all the dry fire books, just need to time and will to see it through.  

After reading this post, to me it seems that Dry Fire practice/training is one of the most common points among most high level shooters.  Although several people didn't list their classification, so I made the assumption that they were a higher level.  (why bother with all the practice if you never move out of D class, thus I assume D class shooters aren't practicing all that much, or they would either move up a level or two, or they must be practicing wrong. )  

I dry fire 4 times at week. Live fire for confirmation twice a month 200 rounds each time. Every Thursday I go to an idpa practice and shoot 50-100 rounds. I have done 4 idpa matches and each time I’ve improved. I am still unclassified and I’m only shooting a local match that says it’s class 2. Regardless last match I placed 7th overall and had the fastest time before points down. My evaluation from last match is to improve entries and accuracy. This last match I ranked in the middle of a bunch of masters. It’s ambitious to say I’m master level but I know I’ll be there soon with more practice. I’ll take a classifier soon I just am practicing now and I’ll do some nationals events next year. I’m doing this all for me not any other reason. I’m very competitive and after the first match I was hooked. 

I have a schedule and I stick to it about 90%. I do take brakes for a few days if my body needs the rest. I also do hand strength and hand stretches once a week. I work with my hands (mechanic) so I have to be careful to not over do the strength exercising. 

Wake up get dressed, do ten medium paced draws everyday.  My carry rig is my competition rig. Mondays I practice transitions, Tuesday I work on fast triggers presses and hand exercises. Wednesday I do draw practice, Thursday I shoot a practice stage live at my local club, Friday I work on reloads. Saturday/Sunday I do a live practice on whatever needs the most work and some drills I keep a log book on for time and accuracy. If I don’t do a live practice I’ll work on moving entering, exiting and drawing and reloading while moving. I shoot for 15 minutes but a lot of days I end up going 30-45 minutes because I feel like I could need doing better so I’m pushing.

If I ever get to a point that I feel good enough I’ll probably reduce practice to 2-3 days a week and in those days I might try working on everything, not just focusing on one thing. Oh before each practice I do a minimum ten trigger pulls at speed. Mainly because my accuracy sucks, I pull shots and I push the gun down.

Edited by Twilk73

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, JGus said:

My only training is shooting local matches.  I try to shoot two to three a month when not in the winter months.  I know it's not really training, but it's as close to training as I do.  That's why I'm stuck in high B in Carry Optics, Production and SS, could probably get to A with a minor amount of practice.  But it's just not that big of a deal for me. 

My training use to be shooting 5-7 matches a week because I really enjoyed shooting but realized I was doing the same mistakes over and over again, it wasn't until I went to the range and had a "practice" session and broke down my times from the draw, splits, to transitions is where I learned what was slowing me down. 

I dry fire 15 minutes everyday, 3 live firing sessions (practice) a week and I shoot 2-3 matches a week and sometimes live practice sessions do fall on a match day except for the weekend. I'm still very new in shooting that I enjoy practicing often especially if it is a craft I want to improve in.

12 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I want your ammo budget.  5-7 matches a week?

Yes, in Arizona there is a match everyday and each match is roughly 100-150 rds. Even at these prices we're looking at $30-40 in ammo. I don't think its nothing out of the budget for anyone.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Back when I was on a tear to make M and came within a percent to GM, I was shooting 2 or 3 times a week for about 1 to hours per session. Plus dry fire probably 4 or 5 times per week.

Plus Avg. about 2 matches per month. More when my other allowed.

now: shoot once or twice per month. 1 match every 2 months. Sometimes go several months with no shooting. Suffice it to say my classification is much higher than current ability. Self inflicted. 😏

On 9/26/2022 at 7:33 PM, mule169 said:

Yes, in Arizona there is a match everyday and each match is roughly 100-150 rds. Even at these prices we're looking at $30-40 in ammo. I don't think its nothing out of the budget for anyone.

Jeez I need to move to where you're at. We get a match a month where I'm at and the next closest is a 2 hour drive. 

I try to touch the gun every day but it usually amounts to 4-5 dry fire sessions a week. Usually spaced out in 5-10 minute sessions a few times through the day in between study sessions. I shoot once a week for about 1.5 hours and 100-150 rounds. One match a month, 2 if I get lucky and have a weekend off from school to travel the 4 hour round trip to a nearby club. 

I definitely am not making the progress that I'd like to see but I am on the cusp of making A class which is my current goal.

56 minutes ago, CC3D said:

Jeez I need to move to where you're at. We get a match a month where I'm at and the next closest is a 2 hour drive. 

If it helps, where I'm at the closest matches are both 2 hours away. If I'm willing to drive 3 plus for a club match I have more options. And these clubs shut down for 4 months of the year. When I started there was only 1 club 2 hours away, improving my classification was kind of a bitch back then. Glad I don't worry about that anymore. I think I shot 4 classifiers in 2022. lol

• 3 months later...

When im on it and wanting to do well i dryfire every night for a few hours

would love 2 days of live fire but i take Friday for training

i love shooting 1000 rounds but it really is not productive 

i find after 2-300 i start to get silly

i use to think dryfire was ok good for reloads and few other things but I decided one day to try something entirely different and make stages or parts i struggled with

lots of fun and not boring

I can’t dry fire for more than about 30 minutes at a time or my hands get tired and I catch myself not gripping the gun appropriately. Usually I’m pouring sweat at that point too. Not doubting anyone but when they say they dry fire for hours, I just can’t see it. I lift weights 5-6 days a week and my last VO2 score was 60.

I live fire once a week sometimes twice, 4 matches a month is always my goal, and dry fire at least 4 days a week. I’ve only been competing since the end of February though. My current avg is 73 and I’m pretty confident I would have made A this weekend if we didn’t have a family vacation planned. My goal is to shoot matches over 90% of available points and be competitive. Hoping to make M along the way. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if you would call it training, but I shoot at least twice a week. I shoot a couple of hundred rounds every range trip of 22lr with my understudy gun, a 617 model, and than shoot about 3 cylinders of my carry gun which is a .357 revolver. I also practice shoot off hand at a couple of hundred yards with my 22 rifles.

• 2 months later...

Unless its off season, dryfire every day (ideally at least 30 min but a lot of times im lazy and its closer to 15-20 nowadays).

If I shoot a match or live fire, I dont dry fire. I end up live firing one or twice a week usually during on season, and when nationals is coming up Ill live fire every day for the month leading up to it.