Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
BamaShooter88

How often do you train? Poll.

Recommended Posts

I’m bored and started wondering. I thought it would be cool to see where everyone stands. I’m new to competition shooting. I’m working on a training program. So I was wondering. What class did you start out in, what class are you in now, how long did it take you to get there, how often do you train and how do you train? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started C class in production, took about 6 months to make B class, where I'm currently at.  Sitting at 72% hopeful to make A class this year.  I dry fire 25 to 30 mins a day four to five days per week.  I try to live fire once a week, but many times it ends up being once every two weeks 400 - 500 rounds per session.  If you don't already have it, Ben's books are great, I also do a lot of dry fire work from Anderson's Refinement and Repetition.  Since your new, I'd check out Shoot Fast Podcast, Practical shooting after dark, That shooting show, and Make Ready Podcast.  Tons of good information between those podcasts for free.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at all in the past four years. Have gone from midpack B to lower A at a glacial pace because of it.

 

Shooting matches on free weekends is a priority for me; training I simply do not have time for. I’m lucky to fire a gun 25times a year - but each time I make I make it to a monthly match, it makes me wish I had the time to make a push for an “M class within 12 months” kind of goal.

 

They only stretches I’ve dryfired consistently? Those were the time periods where I bumped into B class, and out of it into A class. Funny how that happens. ;) 

 

I’ve never been able to livefire train more than 2 times a month, ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dry fire 2- 3  times a week for about 15 - 20 min a stretch.  Live fire training sessions, on average 2 - 3 every two weeks.  Monday evening indoor league (72 rounds) almost every week in the off season.  Try to get at least two level I matches a month.

 

Started USPSA in the fall of 2015 in C class but didn't follow up until this spring.  I didn't shoot a match in 3.5 years and didn't shoot much handgun at all in the same period.

 

Decided to get back in the saddle last December so took the winter to dry fire heavily and shoot outside when it got tolerable.

 

Right now I'm finishing mid pack overall in the USPSA level I's I've been to and in the top ten overall in the IDPA level I's.  Goal is to be in B class by end of season.  Stretch goal is to shoot one level II or III match this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dry fire 5-6 days a week and normally 20-45 minutes a day. A few weeks here and there I miss a few days. I follow the Ben Stoeger books that he has written and they work great. I try to live fire ever other week to validate the dry fire I am doing. I currently just started this routine this winter in December. I am currently a B Class Shooter and ofcourse my goal is to become GM

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a terrible example. Don't be like me. 

 

I haven't dry fired in probably close to two years, and honestly (because of me and my wife having a baby) I haven't spent any time practicing in 8-10 months. 

I think I originally classified as M, and It took me about a year or year and half to make GM? That timeline could be a little off. 

 

About 85-90% of (my) shooting ability is somewhat like riding a bike, and doesn't take much to maintain.  However, that 10-15% is super critical, and is where the small nuances that it takes to win reside.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm a terrible example. Don't be like me. 
 
I haven't dry fired in probably close to two years, and honestly (because of me and my wife having a baby) I haven't spent any time practicing in 8-10 months. 
I think I originally classified as M, and It took me about a year or year and half to make GM? That timeline could be a little off. 
 
About 85-90% of (my) shooting ability is somewhat like riding a bike, and doesn't take much to maintain.  However, that 10-15% is super critical, and is where the small nuances that it takes to win reside.  
You're not lying. Paper GM is one thing but to compete at the top level of a major or national match everything goes into it. Movement, speed, efficiency, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't recall what I initially classified as in 2015, but I believe it was C. I'm currently an 83% A (somewhat sandbagging against my will; I generally finish with the middle-of-the-pack Ms) that practices 6 days per week. The length of a training session varies by the day. Some days, I can only fit in 15 minutes of dryfire. Some days I do 90-120 minutes of live fire and then do another 30-60 of dryfire. 

 

I think I ramped up my training at the end of 2016 and it was mostly what it is now by early 2017. I've actually dialed back the quantity of training in the past year in exchange for better quality. (E.g., I was doing 90-120 minutes of dryfire six days per week during 2017)

Edited by Sliv2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Started shooting oct 2018 first classification was January 2019 at B 67%,  February was A 79% March made M 86%. Since October 2018 I’ve shot over 18,000 rounds of 9mm. I was dry firing 15 min to 1 hour every night from oct until last month when I made M. Live fire I would shoot on Wednesday morning if I was off work. I will get the range at 8am shoot a couple drills till 9:30 then shoot with the old timers on two uspsa stages. Stay and shoot more drills, typically 500-1000 rounds. 

Edited by Bwillis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

first classification was B in 2014. made A six months later. made M a year after that. have gotten to 93, 94% in Prod since then like 4 times in as many years. never bumped into GM.

 

in the almost two years from B to M, I shot a match every Saturday of the year. Every. In those years I took 3 classes. I bought a SIRT gun. I dry fired 3x a week and live fired 1x a week for those two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, B21 said:

Started C class in production, took about 6 months to make B class, where I'm currently at.  Sitting at 72% hopeful to make A class this year.  I dry fire 25 to 30 mins a day four to five days per week.  I try to live fire once a week, but many times it ends up being once every two weeks 400 - 500 rounds per session.  If you don't already have it, Ben's books are great, I also do a lot of dry fire work from Anderson's Refinement and Repetition.  Since your new, I'd check out Shoot Fast Podcast, Practical shooting after dark, That shooting show, and Make Ready Podcast.  Tons of good information between those podcasts for free.  

Awesome thanks! Will definitely check them out. If your training that much you should hit a class very soon. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Not at all in the past four years. Have gone from midpack B to lower A at a glacial pace because of it.

 

Shooting matches on free weekends is a priority for me; training I simply do not have time for. I’m lucky to fire a gun 25times a year - but each time I make I make it to a monthly match, it makes me wish I had the time to make a push for an “M class within 12 months” kind of goal.

 

They only stretches I’ve dryfired consistently? Those were the time periods where I bumped into B class, and out of it into A class. Funny how that happens. ;) 

 

I’ve never been able to livefire train more than 2 times a month, ever.

That’s still good match results for no training 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JayTac556 said:

I dry fire 5-6 days a week and normally 20-45 minutes a day. A few weeks here and there I miss a few days. I follow the Ben Stoeger books that he has written and they work great. I try to live fire ever other week to validate the dry fire I am doing. I currently just started this routine this winter in December. I am currently a B Class Shooter and ofcourse my goal is to become GM emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

Good dedication! Good luck! That’s my plan also!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bwillis said:

Started shooting oct 2018 first classification was January 2019 at B 67%,  February was A 79% March made M 86%. Since October 2018 I’ve shot over 18,000 rounds of 9mm. I was dry firing 15 min to 1 hour every night from oct until last month when I made M. Live fire I would shoot on Wednesday morning if I was off work. I will get the range at 8am shoot a couple drills till 9:30 then shoot with the old timers on two uspsa stages. Stay and shoot more drills, typically 500-1000 rounds. 

That’s awesome! Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So from this information that everyone is giving. It takes a lot of dedicated training to get to gm and maintain it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BamaShooter88 said:

So from this information that everyone is giving. It takes a lot of dedicated training to get to gm and maintain it.

Correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good dedication! Good luck! That’s my plan also!
I've been shooting 3 years now and got into it hard this winter. I have seen lots of progress already. Never realized how much dry fire helps. Good luck brother.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started late 2015 and classified B in open. Made M in <2yrs and GM within 2.5yrs. I shoot just about every weekend and either 1 practice session (150-200rnds) or a steel match during the week. 

No dry fire practice. Tried it. It sucks and is boring. I rather just shoot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been shooting USPSA for 2 full years. Originally classified as a B March of last year, moved to A in January this year, currently at 77%. I’ve been shooting one match a month since mid 2017 but bounced around divisions for a while hence not getting classified for a year. I’ve been able to train with live ammo maybe a half dozen times outside of matches; I dryfire on average 30-60mins 5x/week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JayTac556 said:

I've been shooting 3 years now and got into it hard this winter. I have seen lots of progress already. Never realized how much dry fire helps. Good luck brother.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

Thanks! You too! I’m just getting started and I’m gonna dry fire 5-6 days a week and shoot 2 matches a month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, echotango said:

Started late 2015 and classified B in open. Made M in <2yrs and GM within 2.5yrs. I shoot just about every weekend and either 1 practice session (150-200rnds) or a steel match during the week. 

No dry fire practice. Tried it. It sucks and is boring. I rather just shoot. 

Yea I agree but until I start  reloading I’ll have to dry fire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks! You too! I’m just getting started and I’m gonna dry fire 5-6 days a week and shoot 2 matches a month
IMHO 2 matches a month is great. I try to do 1 a month and try and live fire more. I get more out of live fire than a match. Start listening to shoot fast podcast. Cody Axon and Joel Park are great dudes to listen to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JayTac556 said:

IMHO 2 matches a month is great. I try to do 1 a month and try and live fire more. I get more out of live fire than a match. Start listening to shoot fast podcast. Cody Axon and Joel Park are great dudes to listen to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

Will do! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a live fire training session just for USPSA every Tuesday. We have a local match at least every other weekend. I typically dry fire 3-4 days a week for about 20-30 minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, rowdyb said:

... in the almost two years from B to M, I shot a match every Saturday of the year. Every. In those years I took 3 classes. I bought a SIRT gun. I dry fired 3x a week and live fired 1x a week for those two years.

 

This is the best answer. And I'm jealous... 😊

 

I've only have about 22 Matches down so far, in 3 years and the Ranges are 2-4 hours away. I'm right in between 2 major Cities and if I am lucky, only get to 1 or 2 matches a month. 😧 About ready to move to a city that has more ranges that are closer together. I really wish I could get to a Match ever Saturday and for 2 years.  

 

I drove solo to a Match last Saturday, 120 miles away. Had a blast, didn't place to well. Just wish I could be more active. At least I have a close Range, I can practice once a week. Dry fire daily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...