Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best mags for G17 in Carry Optics Division?

nnylf7

8 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: When the spring relaxes a little bit you will be able to get 23 in there easier. My G17 mags are the old ones so they maybe a little different since I can do a reload to 23 in the mag with a closed slide. Thanks, Eric

Good to know. Thank you.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, nick779 said:

Has anyone had issues with the TTIs since you have to bend the spring a bit to get the extension off?

I haven't had an issue but I don't clean mags often. Even with the TTI extensions they tend to run dirty.

Hello: I am not worried about bending the spring on the TTI base pads but wearing out the plastic on the sides of the magazines. That is why I like the Arredondo, Dawson and Zev base pads. The TTI base pads work great on my all metal magazines. Thanks, Eric

Been using the +5,6 pads for over a year and have had no problems with the springs bending while taking pads off. However I’m using both the ISMI and Wolff 12 coil springs. I heard that the TTI springs don’t hold up as well. 

Aren’t these base pads $40-$50 apiece on top of the cost of the G17 magazines all for two more rounds than the Magpuls that are less than $20 for the whole magazine. It seems like a lot of money to spend for 23+1 versus 21+1 and an occasional decreased number of magazine changes per stage. Plus there can be feeding issues across the transition from the base into the bottom end of the magazine, right? 

9 hours ago, Paul49 said:

Aren’t these base pads $40-$50 apiece on top of the cost of the G17 magazines all for two more rounds than the Magpuls that are less than $20 for the whole magazine. It seems like a lot of money to spend for 23+1 versus 21+1 and an occasional decreased number of magazine changes per stage. Plus there can be feeding issues across the transition from the base into the bottom end of the magazine, right? 

Yes your right. I bought both of mine on sale and saved a few bucks. Never had a problem with feeding over a year of using them. I trust the oem more than the aftermarket ones, plus they look better on the gun. But your correct you can get 2 mags for the price of one TTI.

9 hours ago, Paul49 said:

I don’t shoot Glock in CO, I shoot Walther. If I had the option of a reliable aftermarket 21rd mag?

I’d run four of those 90% of the time (three on the belt, one spare in the bag) and have one pair of 23rd extended mags for the rare stage where it saves you a reload. Just to prevent wear on the $$$ mags.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I don’t shoot Glock in CO, I shoot Walther. If I had the option of a reliable aftermarket 21rd mag?

I’d run four of those 90% of the time (three on the belt, one spare in the bag) and have one pair of 23rd extended mags for the rare stage where it saves you a reload. Just to prevent wear on the $$$ mags.

This. 

The only disadvantage to the Pmags for CO is they’re very light so sometimes they may not drop as quickly as I’d like. Other disadvantage is that the 17 round pmags only have one witness hole at 17 rounds so that’s annoying for production shooters. 

All of my pmags in the various variety have been 100% reliable. 

Edited by Helios

21 hours ago, Helios said:

This. 

The only disadvantage to the Pmags for CO is they’re very light so sometimes they may not drop as quickly as I’d like. Other disadvantage is that the 17 round pmags only have one witness hole at 17 rounds so that’s annoying for production shooters. 

All of my pmags in the various variety have been 100% reliable. 

I added some stick on wheel weights to the sides and back of my Pmags to help them drop free, and add weight while shooting. Adds a couple ounces, but every bit helps. 

I have one TTI for 24 round paper stages. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 10:31 PM, nnylf7 said:

I was going to buy some Arredondo +5/6 mag extensions for my Glock 17 mags, but I believe it will make them too long for Carry Optics Division. What mags or mag/mag extension combo is best for a Glock 17 in Carry Optics Division? Should I just get some of the factory Glock +2 extensions, or is there a better option?

Thanks all.

The TTI base pads are pretty nice. They have tool less disassembly and so far can handle a beating.  

While I shot CO, the Zev and Taran base pads both performed great. Same capacity out of both 23 rounds if I stuffed them, 22 reloadable. I preferred the Zev due to it being easier to take down than pushing the Taran pin out. Both fit the gauge.

Ive had good luck with the TTIs so far, not a scratch on them even after dropping on gravel. No feed issues. They will fit 23, but its very tight; I usually only load to 22.

Ill be picking up a few pmags for short stages and for the indoor matches so im not dropping $70 mags on concrete.

I only have 2 of the ETS mags and neither have malfunctioned but they seem slightly oversized compared to my OEM and Pmags and are much more likely to get hung up/not drop free. YMMV. 

• 3 weeks later...

TTI & Arrendondo hold 23 + 1 reloadable reliably (or will when the spring takes a set). 

Taylor Freelance brass mag extension holds 22 + 1, reloadable.

Dawson Precision holds 23 + 1 reloadable, but it's tighter than the Arredondo and TTI. 

All are super durable. I've never had one break or fly off. 

Dawson bases can be found at very reasonable prices on Brownell's. The rest are in the $30.00-$40.00 range. 

As stated by Eric, Arredondo are easiest to get off with the little tool they provide, and don't stress the spring. 

I like the Arredondo extensioins for Glock. Their M&P extensions blow. 22 + 1, and the retention part binds on the spring, locking the follower at the bottom of the magazine at the worst possible time. They're cheap, but they suck.