Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best mags for G17 in Carry Optics Division?

nnylf7

I was going to buy some Arredondo +5/6 mag extensions for my Glock 17 mags, but I believe it will make them too long for Carry Optics Division. What mags or mag/mag extension combo is best for a Glock 17 in Carry Optics Division? Should I just get some of the factory Glock +2 extensions, or is there a better option?

Thanks all.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrendondo are 140mm and should fit gauge. TTI are also another option that don’t need a tool to take apart. Running a basepad to get 23+1 is your best bet vs just running a +2 extension. 

6 minutes ago, RJH said:

One tti or something so you got a 23 round "big stick"  and a few of the 21 round p mags

Wouldn’t two P mags and one in the pipe at start give 43 rounds? What kind of stages are you guys shooting if that is not enough?

24 minutes ago, Paul49 said:

Wouldn’t two P mags and one in the pipe at start give 43 rounds? What kind of stages are you guys shooting if that is not enough?

Yes, but sometimes there is  a 22 round stage with 2 pieces of steel and those extra couple of rounds come in real handy.  It is more about opening up stage planning than total round count. But by 

using mainly p mags you can save some dollars, and they are good mags

I have used the pmags most of the last year. They have worked great. Even sent them back to  magpul because the springs were getting weak and they replaced them under warranty. I find them on sale at primary arms for $15 regularly. I do have 1 TTI that will give me 23+1. As stated above, it gives you more options when stage planning. 

Hello: I am using Pmags 21 round, factory G17 magazines with Arredondo +6 and also Zev base pads. The Arredondo will give you 23 plus 1 if you use the factory spring. The Zev will give you 22 rounds with the Zev spring. The Dawson's are the same 22 round. All fit the gauge. A note that the Pmag 17 round with the Zev extension will not fit the gauge for carry optics. I start with the Arredondo setup and reload to the Zev setup. I use the Pmags for indoor and have not broken one yet. Thanks, Eric

Get one TTI plus six mag extension, you can install on a oem mag or a ETS. That gives you 23+1 reloadable. Then get 2 TTI plus 4, that will go on a oem or ETS mag also and that gives you 21 plus 1. I am partial to oem Glock mags, I have shots thousands of rounds through them without any problems. They just plain work. I have some ETS, they are cheap and work really well, but if dropped in sand or dirt you can just hear the followers scraping, and unless you have easy off base pads they are a little difficult to take apart. Glock mags unless they are dropped in mud I pretty much shake em out and run them. Nothing is really cheap in this game, the TTI base pads are expensive but I have been running mine for 5 years they are beat to s!!t but they still work and are super easy to remove.

Wow! LOTS of great info. I am surprised that the TTI and Arredondo fit on a stock Glock 17 mag and are still under 141.25 mm for Carry Optics Division. I'm going to look over all of this info again and I will probably buy one each of a couple that have been mentioned to try them out.

Thanks all.

Hello: The Arredondo base pads come off easily with the tool that is included. Some of the other base pads are not that easy to remove or slide off the base pads. The Arredondo are easy to do a reload with 23 rounds in the mag. The Arredondo base pads are lighter than the others so they may drop as quick as some of the heavier base pads buy I have not had a problem with them. I would pick the one you like the best and are easily removed. Thanks, Eric

I’ve only used the pmags and the TTI extensions for OEM mags; maybe I’m paranoid but I don’t love taking the TTIs on and off anymore than absolutely necessary. I feel like they have a tendency to go on not quite straight and booger up the polymer lips at the bottom of the mag if you don’t guide them on just right. YMMV. 

If you want your TTI mag bases to go on and off more easily you can take a razor blade and remove the little bumps on the mag body. Doing this mod means you cannot go back to oem pads because now they will come off easy to.

2 hours ago, rooster said:

If you want your TTI mag bases to go on and off more easily you can take a razor blade and remove the little bumps on the mag body. Doing this mod means you cannot go back to oem pads because now they will come off easy to.

Did that with a box cutter for my JWH Custom aluminum bases, added for weight not increased capacity. They were a way too tight fit otherwise.

You can trim the tabs in stages, removing a thin layer, try fitting the magazine base, and quit trimming once it’s acceptable.

These aluminum bases fit just like the OEMs but they are solid metal and don’t flex. Even those mags where I completely removed the tabs still work as long as I ensure that the round protrusion on inside spring base plate snaps into the round hole in the magazine base. Been using them that way in competition with no spontaneous disassembly even after dropped on the ground.

Edited by Paul49

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've had feed issues with Taran extensions of all sizes. (g43, g19, g17) Also had one Taran extension eat the bottom of a magazine and the mag fell apart when making ready before a stage. I'm using dawsons now and have not had any issues yet but it hasn't been long since I had them

I ordered and received three new Glock 17 mags and 3 Arredondo extensions. Installed them and tested them out today and they work great! More use will really show how they perform, but so far I am very happy with them. The Arredondo extensions, when installed, are extremely secure. 23 rounds fit in the mag and function well. It is pretty difficult to get that 23rd round in the mag. If I was using these and performing mag changes with the slide forward and a round in the chamber, I would only load them to 22. When loaded with 23 rounds, you cannot press down the top round in the magazine at all; there is absolutely no room left in the mag and the spring is fully compressed. I tried loading a full 23 round mag into the gun with a round in the chamber and the slide forward and it was quite difficult to seat; not something I would want to do on the move because I'd be likely to fire the next round then end up with a mag on the round and an empty gun.

All-in-all, very satisfied so far and I really like the way this mag/extension combo looks and performs.