Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
ranger

Value of folding stock on a Precision style rifle

I am looking at chassis like stock for a rifle. I notice that some of the chassis offer a folding stock. Looking for input on folding stock for a precision style rifle - is this a positive or negative. I assume a positive is shortening overall rifle during transport. Another idea is folding stock during bore cleaning so to not hot raised cheek rest. Other pro or con? Thanks

you've listed about the only positives in my mind, most of the new stocks and chassis have fantastic lockups so the stability is good to go but usually it adds weight to the system.

You hit the nail on the head. Not really any advantages besides those. I’ve had 1 hinge come loose and need to be sent back to the maker to be re-epoxied. Couple other models I saw had loose hinges that didn’t do a lot for your shooting comfort or  confidence. 

I've had both and prefer non-folding.  Other than taking it from the bag to a range and looking super awesome snapping it into place...  

Yeah, that's about it.  

Cleaning, sure. 

As for the pros, you have listed them.  As for the cons, it would have to be price.  I just purchased a Accuracy International AT, and the cost difference between the folder and the non-folder was over $400.  And that was dealer cost!!!!  I would say save the money.  Get a non-folder.

FWIW, in a non-folding stock, take a look at the KRG Bravo.  Sub $400 and pretty awesome.  If I hadn't totally committed to FTR this year I'd have grabbed one.  

Yes, I picked up a KRG Bravo with 10% off and free shipping through Brownells special. On backorder but I have time.

Do you enjoy hearing it snap into place when you open it? Yeah, that's about all.

I have a RPR with a folding stock- no problems. Easy to transport and clean.