Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Value of folding stock on a Precision style rifle

ranger

I am looking at chassis like stock for a rifle. I notice that some of the chassis offer a folding stock. Looking for input on folding stock for a precision style rifle - is this a positive or negative. I assume a positive is shortening overall rifle during transport. Another idea is folding stock during bore cleaning so to not hot raised cheek rest. Other pro or con? Thanks

You hit the nail on the head. Not really any advantages besides those. I’ve had 1 hinge come loose and need to be sent back to the maker to be re-epoxied. Couple other models I saw had loose hinges that didn’t do a lot for your shooting comfort or  confidence. 

As for the pros, you have listed them.  As for the cons, it would have to be price.  I just purchased a Accuracy International AT, and the cost difference between the folder and the non-folder was over $400.  And that was dealer cost!!!!  I would say save the money.  Get a non-folder.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a Sig Cross folder. It is a real pain in the@#$ to make it fold.  You push down on the pin and then monkey around trying to get the rear in the exact position to fold. Once in awhile I pull the hand grip down and the rear up at precisely the right microsecond and it folds easily. The only advantage is hearing the sweet sound of the unsnap on those rare occasions when it does work.

Cleaning is the biggest advantage. Another is that it makes longer files fit in my safe easier.  Transport is a toss up in my opinion.. makes for a thicker case and I don’t have a problem with long cases in my truck 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My precision guns are the longest guns I own.  For the AR style I separate the halves, but for the non-AR styles, I LIKE the idea of folding the stock for a shorter OAL for transport and storage.  I agree that some systems suck, and I had one that every time I shot it it would rip out my facial hair somehow, but the concept is Great....

I like the folding stock on mine for easier portability and storage in the safe. I don’t shoot it much and am not experienced enough with precision rifle shooting to know if it helps or hurts my ability. 

I would not have bought it if it didn’t have the folding stock option. 

Edited by Cuz