Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

I guess I’m in the cool guy club now. Never had any issues with either of my zev oz9c until this happened on the last stage of our local match. Gun has been fed a steady diet of 147 black bullets over titegroup at 950fps. I had planned on shooting open that day a switched to carry optics the night before because I was having some feeding issues in my open gun that I am blaming on some old weak mag springs. Got to the match and had my open ammo in my bag instead of the carry optics minor ammo and ended up borrowing some Winchester white box 115 from a buddy and last stage of the day the lug sheared off and locked the gun up pretty good. I emailed zev some pictures and they sent me a new barrel. Ran 500 rounds through it yesterday with no malfunctions and it still had the same point on impact so I’m happy about that. Hopefully this barrel doesn’t cause any other issues.

4507FF0C-D8B8-42ED-9D58-6C78D3222AF8.jpeg

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up an OZ9 Elite Standard and am looking forward to competing with it in carry optics despite all the hiccups listed in this thread. 

What I haven't seen is anyone posting about getting and using the tungsten grip module.  I spoke to someone at ZEV and he said that because they're so busy, he's not sure when they'll be released again.  Anyone get their hands on one and using it?

I'm also considering putting in a Glock Store pure tungsten guide rod to increase weight.  Anyone have one of those installed?

Anyone using the compact module with a standard size grip module and ZEV XL G34 size slide?  I'm considering this as a backup gun when and if the competition slides are released again after redesign due to KC leaving.

17 hours ago, MattYvip said:

Is this a common thing in all their barrels or have they fixed the issue? 

I believe this was an issue with some of the initial production runs, but they have since fixed a majority of the issues. 

Only seen like 1 person on here that was able to snag the tungsten grip module before it sold out. I was hoping they’d release some more soon, but it doesn’t sound like it’s high on their priority.

I have the Jentra ultra heavy tungsten guide rod in mine since it was like half the cost of the GS pure tungsten rod. Not sure how close in weight they are though. The best bang for the buck for weight are the tungsten CR123 batteries for a WML.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:07 PM, telligentgunner said:

I just picked up an OZ9 Elite Standard and am looking forward to competing with it in carry optics despite all the hiccups listed in this thread. 

What I haven't seen is anyone posting about getting and using the tungsten grip module.  I spoke to someone at ZEV and he said that because they're so busy, he's not sure when they'll be released again.  Anyone get their hands on one and using it?

I'm also considering putting in a Glock Store pure tungsten guide rod to increase weight.  Anyone have one of those installed?

Anyone using the compact module with a standard size grip module and ZEV XL G34 size slide?  I'm considering this as a backup gun when and if the competition slides are released again after redesign due to KC leaving.

I managed to get one of the tungsten grips and they very much balance out the gun if you put a GS pure tungsten guide rod in it. Actually had to up the recoil spring weight by a pound or two when I added the two. 

I also wouldn’t hold my breath on the 34 length slide anytime soon either. They told me slightly over a year ago that they were redesigning it when they canceled my 30 day old order for one. Have one of the last nonKC 34’s they made I think. 

I assume they are selling everything they can make, and branching out in collaborations with companies like Sig, that their R&D/Competition department isn’t the priority. Stinks for us but business wise I get it. 

On 4/17/2022 at 7:07 PM, telligentgunner said:

Heavy Weight Zev OZ9 Thread

On 4/18/2022 at 6:04 AM, tt350z said:

The best bang for the buck for weight are the tungsten CR123 batteries for a WML.

Damn, didn't know these existed. Thanks.

8 hours ago, USCSBarney said:

Actually had to up the recoil spring weight by a pound or two when I added the two.

What weight did you go with?

On 3/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, Fitzghan said:

Spent some time on phone with ZEV.  Recoil spring is 17lbs, Striker spring is 5lbs, Connector is 3.5lb, Trigger spring is xtra power, and safety plunger spring is lightened. According to ZEV all rated for carry applications but I'm rocking the Suarez slide with all stock internals for that anyway.

Anyone know if the striker is an extended tip striker?

On 4/18/2022 at 6:04 AM, tt350z said:

I have the Jentra ultra heavy tungsten guide rod in mine since it was like half the cost of the GS pure tungsten rod. Not sure how close in weight they are though.

Wrote Jentra and they're 2.1 oz each. GS's are 2.5 oz each.

Edited by telligentgunner

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, I completely missed the tungsten grip release. It's a shame Zev is so s#!tty about actually stocking reasonable amounts of things like this. Hopefully they eventually release more of them. The Tungsten grip puts the weight on a G34 length gun very close to the Sig P320 X5 Legion and should make it pretty competitive with it.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:07 PM, telligentgunner said:

Just buy a lightweight aftermarket G34 slide from a different company, like Zaffiri Precision or similar. Zev is very, very slow with this s#!t. The OZ9 lower frame modular receiver was out of stock for like 1-2 years and just recently become available at retail again. Also, KC left Zev quite a while ago, and there's still no new Orion or other new G34 length slide by them. You could be waiting forever if you wait on them to replace the KC competition slide. Plus, that slide was milled for a not very popular Bushnell optic anyway. You'd be better off with a slide milled for an SRO or Romeo3 Max/XL.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

Has anyone use their OZ9 in the optics division for USPSA? I was wondering if after removing the magwell you had any issues with reloads.  I was told the bottom of the grip was intended to be used with a magwell   and there are some protruding channel like internals that look like they would cause issues with reloads

Adams I shot a competition model in Carry Optics with no issues. There is the lip the magwell hooks into and the section at the bottom, below the texturing, where it fits but I never had an issue with it. The lip actually almost seemed to give an index point for your initial grip.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2022 at 5:03 AM, USCSBarney said:

I managed to get one of the tungsten grips and they very much balance out the gun if you put a GS pure tungsten guide rod in it. Actually had to up the recoil spring weight by a pound or two when I added the two. 

I also wouldn’t hold my breath on the 34 length slide anytime soon either. They told me slightly over a year ago that they were redesigning it when they canceled my 30 day old order for one. Have one of the last nonKC 34’s they made I think. 

I assume they are selling everything they can make, and branching out in collaborations with companies like Sig, that their R&D/Competition department isn’t the priority. Stinks for us but business wise I get it. 

USCSBarney, what recoil spring weight ended up working best for you? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 5:31 AM, bulldog009 said:

I believe this was an issue with some of the initial production runs, but they have since fixed a majority of the issues. 

Thanks! Been humming and hawing about grabbing one but have been hesitant due to the issues reported here. Thinking I’m gonna chance it and maybe I’ll get lucky or maybe I’ll be back reporting my poor choices to y’all. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally picked up an OZ9 (against my better judgement based on what I read on this thread).  I only have 500 rounds through it but so far it has been great.  I'm hoping that it continues to be a good pistol.  Planning on shooting CO with it in USPSA and IDPA.  I think the only thing it needs (barring any of the major issues that might occur based on what I've read here) is a tungsten guide rod.  But so far so good.... Fingers Crossed.  If not then I guess there are a lot of dudes who can legitimately say they told me so!   

• 5 months later...

Got hypercomp compact last week put about 275 rounds and no malfunctions at all. Everything west smooth like butter. 115gr, 124gr, 147gr, federal hst 147gr, ran like a champ. 

What is the guide rod spring weight on this pistols? Is it 18lbs like glock 19 out of the factory? 

Thanks

G

23 hours ago, ThePatriotKuya said:

Got hypercomp compact last week put about 275 rounds and no malfunctions at all. Everything west smooth like butter. 115gr, 124gr, 147gr, federal hst 147gr, ran like a champ. 

What is the guide rod spring weight on this pistols? Is it 18lbs like glock 19 out of the factory? 

Thanks

G

Yes, 18lbs. All Zev compacts run that same weight. 

Any idea what the standard size run? also 18? or 17lbs?  To date I have about 1600 rounds through my OZ9, luckily no issues at all.  My dad bought one after shooting mine and he had a lot of extraction issues.  He switched to an apex extractor and its been flawless ever since.  Luckily it was a reasonably easy issue to fix.