Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

Been dry firing a ton with the Timney trigger. Emailed Zev, lets see what happens. In the mean time, I cut down a reduced power spring just long enough to hold the cup springs to reduce the power and impact on the firing pin.

6nPTJ8I.jpg

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Damn. I have never trusted those lightened firing pins and I will replace mine.

I shot my hypercomp today for the first time, also with the timney trigger. The trigger is fantastic, ill post in the timney thread but it really is nice.

I shot 250 rounds of PPU Nato ammo and as time went on, failures to eject happened more often. I probably had 7 or 8 total. All were in the last 150 rounds so im not sure what that is about.

I also shot 150ish rounds of old carry ammo (hst 124 / 147, both +p) without an issue, shooting a mag every so often in between mags of PPU.

Anyone know why the hotter carry ammo wouldnt cause an issue but the cheap ball would? I dont get it. Fingers crossed i can figure this out because it shoots really nice with the ported barrel.

No screw drag into the extractor plunger, and i have the newer one marked with the zev //.

Edited by P226X5fan

Zev requested proof of purchase and pictures of the striker, which I sent. They emailed me back and said they’re shipping me a new one. So painless process.

The great thing with the Timney is that you can run the Glock OEM striker/spring for reliability and still have an amazing trigger pull. I’ll probably use the Glock OEM setup as well.

Only thing i could think of is increased slide speed causing the extractor to slip off the rim? Is your extractor plunger the longer one as well? Because in theory that should increase the extractor tension.

Edited by tt350z

On 2/4/2021 at 3:53 PM, P226X5fan said:

Good to hear.

Yeah mine has the longer plunger / red plastic on the internals.

It only choked on the weaker ammo, the hotter carry ammo didn’t have any problems.

Sounds like a problem with the chamber or slide to barrel lockup dimensions. Something's too tight, so there's more rearwards force needed to unlock the casing from the chamber / slide from the barrel. As a result, the slide and barrel stays locked together for longer, and some of the energy that's normally spent on pushing the slide (only) rearwards, is used to smack the slide/barrel against the locking lug hard. 

As a result, the weaker ammo doesn't create enough rearwards force to reliably cycle, since less energy is leftover to eject the casing. Which is the cause of failure to ejects. A temporary fix would be to use a softer recoil spring. 13 pound might work better, maybe grab a sampler pack with different weight springs and test them out. Of course, lighter recoil springs might have their own issues, so, temporary fix. 

The duty ammo does create enough rearwards energy to cycle the slide reliably. However, that's even more force being applied to that barrel lug. I'm guessing that if you only use high pressure ammo, that lug is absolutely going to break sooner rather than later. In the same way the others in this thread had their lugs break. 

TL:DR Swap to a lighter spring for now, swap to non zev slide/barrel in the future. Good luck. 

I appreciate the response jtac. I am a dummy - it was having failures to extract, not eject.

The spend round would be left completely inside the chamber with the next round stuck on the feed ramp behind it. All the malfunctions were exactly like this. I have a spare stock glock extractor I will try but with ammo so expensive this kind of tinkering isn't as feasible as it used to be.

Shot 300ish again with an apex extractor and didn’t have any problems. Tried a few different types of ammo too. Not a huge fan of having to screw with it from the factory. Can’t deny it shoots really nice though with those giant ports. The timney trigger I put in it is the best part though to be honest.

3 hours ago, P226X5fan said:

Shot 300ish again with an apex extractor and didn’t have any problems. Tried a few different types of ammo too. Not a huge fan of having to screw with it from the factory. Can’t deny it shoots really nice though with those giant ports. The timney trigger I put in it is the best part though to be honest.

Did you use part number 102-109/gen 4?

I tried the 102-104 gen 3/5 and it didn’t extract all all. Went back to the Zev and. It worked.

9 hours ago, tt350z said:

Did you use part number 102-109/gen 4?

I used the Gen 3 part 102-104. That is super weird. It extracted and ejected everything really well even a single round of weak ass 115gr and no magazine in. I do have the 30274 ejector in as well.

The apex extractor wouldn't work with the Zev extractor plunger though (I could barely physically get the slide cover on), so I used a stock plunger with the apex spring.

Edit - mine is a oz9c and i see yours looks like a regular oz9? Not sure why that would make a difference though.

Edited by P226X5fan

2 hours ago, P226X5fan said:

I used the Gen 3 part 102-104. That is super weird. It extracted and ejected everything really well even a single round of weak ass 115gr and no magazine in. I do have the 30274 ejector in as well.

The apex extractor wouldn't work with the Zev extractor plunger though (I could barely physically get the slide cover on), so I used a stock plunger with the apex spring.

Edit - mine is a oz9c and i see yours looks like a regular oz9? Not sure why that would make a difference though.

Thanks for the info. I have the 30274 ejector as well, of course it doesnt do anything if it’s not extracting haha.

Yea mines the standard OZ9, should be different though. I did use the Zev plunger and I was able to get the cover plate on. I didnt have my other glock with me so I didnt have an OEM plunger on hand with me at the time. Did you use the LCI or non-LCI spring loaded bearing with the OEM plunger with the 102-104 extractor?

• 1 month later...

Well I am looking to pick one of these up for a carry/range toy.  Is the FTE being addressed at all by ZEV in newer production or is this an ongoing thing? Looking for some honest thoughts, I don't want to mess spending a huge amount of money and than spending more to fix things if possible lol 

10 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

Range toy? Go for it.

Carry gun? No damn way.

Thanks big time for the quick response, it is shocking for these firearms cost the issues that are happening and continuing to happen.  I know Zev doesn't exactly market them as Duty grade but still it has glock at its roots lol 

17 hours ago, Iceman2733 said:

Thanks big time for the quick response, it is shocking for these firearms cost the issues that are happening and continuing to happen.  I know Zev doesn't exactly market them as Duty grade but still it has glock at its roots lol 

For what it’s worth, all during matches because I dont shoot at the range for fun/practice due to ammo situation. I’ve had 2 incidents with FTE.

1. New gun with Apex extractor (Part number 102-104), multiple FTE during the first stage at a match. Swapped back to the Zev extractor, no issues.

2. Aluminum cased ammo, FTE during the first stage at a match. Went back to brass, no issues the rest of the match.

3. It’s been 100% when I didnt change anything with brass ammo.

17 hours ago, Iceman2733 said:

Man, read through this thread, I think it would convince you not to touch Zev.

FYI, remember that pro-shooter that shot for ZEV that chimed in? He's legit, Max is an absolute monster. However, since last posting, he has left ZEV and the OZ9's behind. He now shoots a pair of Shadow 2's. I forget why he left specifically, but he did cite the reliability issues to be one of the motivating factors for changing guns. 

• 5 months later...
On 1/15/2021 at 6:19 PM, max1337 said:

Hi guys, 

I think I should jump in and give you a good idea of what happened to the Zev OZ9 from start to where it's at right now, and that should clarify a lot of things and hopefully help you make a good decision or fix your current issues. 

I am a competitive shooter and i've been sponsored by Zev and shooting the OZ9's since the very beginning. In fact, I have the first batch that Zev ever produced, with all 3 of my guns serial number below 00100. I have over 130 000 rounds with the guns, so trust me, I've had probably all of the possible issues you could imagine or already had. Gun firing full auto or bursts, barrel lug sheared off, broken slide stop, broken slide post, failure to extract/eject, magazines (10 rounders) won't drop, etc etc. The good thing is, Zev have been very receptive and listened to the issues and fixed them very quickly. 

Here are the most common issues and fixes ;

- Gun firing auto/burst ; Zev Recall, they will replace your trigger bar/parts. It works very well, no issues anymore

- Extraction/Ejection issues ; Zev replaced the extractor for the new "enhanced extractor" with the new longer extractor plunger and spring. Look for the Zev // hashmarks on the new extractor. Also, I recommend you install a Glock Gen 4/5 Ejector (on the trigger housing)

- Barrel lug shearing off ; Zev have redesigned the barrel lug, new metal, new rifling. This one is in the mail and will have it next Wednesday and I can update you guys if interested. 

- Broken slide stop ; Zev are now making their slide stop in-house and the issue is fixed. I recommend you install a Glock Gen 3 slide stop if you have one. 

- Magazines won't drop ; Zev have replaced their magazine release for a new design that is narrower and will drop 10 round magazines no issues. 

Is this a pain in the ass ? Yes. Did Zev release the Zev OZ9 too early ? Probably. Did they work hard to fix all the issues ? f*#k yes. Remember that Sig had to recall all their P320 models because of the Firing Control Unit safety issues. It is not uncommon for a new firearm to face issues, the most important is that they do something about it, quickly. 

I have all the above fixes on my guns, all 3 of them, and I haven't had one malfunction in over 60 000 rounds. The most important thing for me as a traveling competition shooter and instructor is reliability, and I can say that now I can trust my guns to perform and function flawlessly regardless of what ammo I am shooting. 

This is my build for all 3 of my OZ9 for IPSC/USPSA Competitions ;

- Johnny Glocks Hybrid trigger w/flat shoe. (Reason for Johnny Glocks is I can adjust the reset to a very short one and glass break)

- Johnny Glocks Striker

- Johnny Glocks safety plunger

- Johnny Glocks safety plunger spring

- Johnny Glocks trigger return spring

- Johnny Glocks 4.5# striker spring (or Wolff)

- Zev ISMI 13# recoil spring

- Zev polymer red striker cups

- Zev polymer red channel liner

- Zev polymer red striker sleeve

- Zev polymer red extractor plunger pin

- Zev enhanced extractor

- Zev enhanced extractor plunger/spring

- Zev Optimized match barrel

- Zev Tungsten grip (coming soon, it is incredibly perfectly balanced, recoil is ridiculously flat)
- Gen 3 slide stop

- Gen 4 ejector

- Trijicon SRO 5 MOA

- #4-40 x 5/16 Torx plus flat head screws

- Glock 17 Gen 5 magazines

- Wolff +10% magazine spring

- Henning EDC PRO basepads

I hope this helps,

Max Latulippe

Any eta on the tungsten grips?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

End of year 2021 update:

Only just over 1,000 rounds put on the Zev OZ9 Compact this year. Since it’s been such a turd I’ve been shooting my 2011’s much more. I haven’t kept track of the total round count anymore because I just don’t care. It was sent back Zev twice in 2020 and came back better, but still not 100%. Now that 2021 is coming to a close the failure to extract malfunction is creeping back, and getting worse. It never really went away but is definitely getting worse, can’t make it through a full mag now without at least one malfunction. Every time I bring the OZ9c out I tell myself, alright this is the day that it redeems itself and works and I’ll love it. And every time I’m let down by it. I’ve tried swapping every part except the actual slide and barrel, which I will in early 2022. It’s just not worth it to keep it all Zev now, it’s just a paperweight taking up space in my safe now. 

• 3 months later...

Happy 2022,

Picked up a used OZ9 for $1k at LGS thinking "hey that's an $1,900 MSRP kit" (it came with the Comp V2) then I found this thread.

Opened it up to see the copper goop fully intact, and some carbon to clean up.

Looking forward to see if I have a unit that fires two rounds at once, snaps firing pins, breaks barrel lugs, breaks slide releases, FTEs, or shoot flawlessly.