Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution - General Discussion

25 minutes ago, RGA said:

It's a powder measure, not rocket science.

Ha ha!  Even more reason to believe that MK7 knows what they're doing.  When I sent my powder measure back they sent me a detailed analysis of the results of their testing using the same powder that I use, acknowledging the variance and explaining why it was happening, and giving me the engineering diagram for the revised powder measure linkage that will fix the problem.  I don't know what more you could ask for from a company.  So what else is there to talk about until the revised linkage passes testing and is in production to roll out to everyone?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be clear, I don't think there is any conspiracy or covering up going on. I just have a hard time grasping the ''splash back'' theory. There is no mal intent but I do think they are barking up the wrong tree.

But fair enough, we will see what happens.

3 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

Ha ha!  Even more reason to believe that MK7 knows what they're doing.  When I sent my powder measure back they sent me a detailed analysis of the results of their testing using the same powder that I use, acknowledging the variance and explaining why it was happening, and giving me the engineering diagram for the revised powder measure linkage that will fix the problem.  I don't know what more you could ask for from a company.  So what else is there to talk about until the revised linkage passes testing and is in production to roll out to everyone?

Would be interesting to see the engineering diagram of the revised linkage.

Did they tell you whether it will be a drop-in fit or does the installation require sending the powder measure to them? (very interested in this since I don't want my powder measure to be out of use again for 1,5 months...)

Loading 9mm on my Evo with Titegroup I am getting a .2 gn spread which is translating to a 15 - 20 SD at the chrono.  To do some testing with a Dillon powder measure, I borrowed a friends extra off his 650 and made a bracket to activate the rod.  Didn't take too long and I am getting consistent 3.2 gn throws.  I will load some up tomorrow and when the weather clears will chrono.

I know I was getting a 4-6 SD with my 1050 Mark 7. Will see how the chrono goes in a couple of days.

Dillon PM Mod.jpg

So not only is the throw weight speed dependent but the spread increases with speed as well.

The spread of 0.130 (WAC data 1000/min) is not a total disaster but the spread of 0.222 (WAC data 2200/min) would bother me.

I wonder if the spread is throw weight dependent. In other words if the average throw for WAC was around 3.4 at 1000/min (instead of 6.8)  would the spread be around 0.065 instead of 0.130?

That would work for me as I'm shooting minor PF and 3.4 would be close to what I throw depending upon exactly which powder we're talking about.

51 minutes ago, ddc said:

So not only is the throw weight speed dependent but the spread increases with speed as well.

The spread of 0.130 (WAC data 1000/min) is not a total disaster but the spread of 0.222 (WAC data 2200/min) would bother me.

Spread of 0.130gr is actually, in my opinion, pretty good result. I didn't have the analytical scale when I had a Dillon so I don't have good data of the consistency of Dillon powder measure, but generally I would say that most vendors market their powder measures with accuracy of +/- 0.1gr... 0.13gr total spread is about half of that.

0.2gr spread I don't personally like, as then I need a higher average to keep even the low end in major...

51 minutes ago, ddc said:

I wonder if the spread is throw weight dependent. In other words if the average throw for WAC was around 3.4 at 1000/min (instead of 6.8)  would the spread be around 0.065 instead of 0.130?

I don't yet have that data, but friend of mine is coming to load some with TiteGroup in coming weeks, I'll measure the consistency of that too.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:26 PM, mikamarj said:

Would be interesting to see the engineering diagram of the revised linkage.

Did they tell you whether it will be a drop-in fit or does the installation require sending the powder measure to them? (very interested in this since I don't want my powder measure to be out of use again for 1,5 months...)

Take it with a grain of salt since it hasn't actually been released yet, but at the time they sent me the info they said that I should be able to install the new linkage on my powder measure myself.  We'll see if that holds after it's released, but that's what I was told at the time.  I don't want to post the diagram they sent me since I don't know if it's the final one or it's continued to evolve, and I don't know if they want it shared or not due to how the internet internets information like that.  Maybe they'll post it on the MK7 owner's forum after it's released?  

1 hour ago, ddc said:

That would work for me as I'm shooting minor PF and 3.4 would be close to what I throw depending upon exactly which powder we're talking about.

My ideal minor load is 3.1gr of Titegroup, so I just set the measure to throw around 3.2gr at 2200rph and then loaded around 12k rounds in the past 2 weeks.  I randomly checked a drop every 1000 rounds or so, all were between 3.098 and 3.267.  Perfect or ideal?  No.  Acceptable for now?  Yes.  I'm not scraping power factor at 3.1 anyway, I chrono'd at 134pf at Nationals with that load.  So not a huge deal either way, this is not a reason to not buy a Mark 7 Evo at this point IMO.

1 hour ago, Tanfastic said:

... I just set the measure to throw around 3.2gr at 2200rph and then loaded around 12k rounds in the past 2 weeks.  I randomly checked a drop every 1000 rounds or so, all were between 3.098 and 3.267.  Perfect or ideal?  No.  Acceptable for now?  Yes.  ...

You are at 0.102 grains variation at the low end and 0.067 grains variation at the high end. I'd call that very acceptable for a progressive press regardless of the brand.

2 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

My ideal minor load is 3.1gr of Titegroup, so I just set the measure to throw around 3.2gr at 2200rph and then loaded around 12k rounds in the past 2 weeks.  I randomly checked a drop every 1000 rounds or so, all were between 3.098 and 3.267.  Perfect or ideal?  No.  Acceptable for now?  Yes.  I'm not scraping power factor at 3.1 anyway, I chrono'd at 134pf at Nationals with that load.  So not a huge deal either way, this is not a reason to not buy a Mark 7 Evo at this point IMO.

I've got my 650 boxed up for a move along with all my data but my recollection is that if I was set to 3.25 then the vast majority of my throws would be between 3.20 and 3.30 so a total spread of 0.1 or probably just a bit more. So 0.13 would be ok but I think perhaps a bit more than I was getting with the Dillon.

I could be wrong and it will be a while before I can actually test out how close my memory is to what is actually happening.

Did some powder measure testing today with AA7, using both the Mk7 and Dillon powder measures at manual loading speed.  20 rounds each, using a GemPro 250 scale. 

Dillon:  Avg 10.50 gn, range 0.10 (0.95%), SD 0.031.

Mk7:    Avg 10.365 gn, range 0.46 (4.4%), SD 0.107. 

I've always liked the Dillon for accuracy (and the UniqueTek micrometer stem for easy adjustment), and the setting doesn't wander.  It's staying on the press.  😏

We are about to close on a new house and since I'm an architectural designer I'm drafting up the changes we'll be doing. Part of those changes is a new reloading/fun room for me. I decided to model up my MK7 Evolution so I could get a sense for where I will put it and how much room it will take up. I screen captured a few images from the owners manual and a few other I found online. In my drafting application Revit (which is really good at architecture and not meant for manufacturing) I imported and scaled the images to be 1 to 1. As Revit draws everything 1 to 1 I was able to mock up the press. Its close enough for government work and will allow me to very carefully set up the space. I will post additional images as I moving through the process but attached a few I created today. The application is 3D so it's easy enough to create views, however, you do need to put in the work of building everything. Call me a nerd but this stuff is cool.

Garage Section_1.jpg

Mk7 Evolution Press_1.jpg

I've had a Mark 7 1050 PRO since 2016. I have depriming sensor, swage sense, and bullet sense.  I have an RF100 primer filler.

I was wondering if the current EVO is more or less temperamental than my current set up.   I don't know if I'm an outlier with things, but it's rare than I can load more than 500 rounds without sometime happening that takes anywhere from 5 sec to 15 min to fix.  I've probably got 125-150k rounds through this set up. Things that happen include cases getting hung up as they enter the shellplate, upside down cases jamming the shellplate between station 1-2, primers getting jammed in the primer slide station, the snap ring on the Dillon depriming die breaking or the primer pin bending on a titled case or debris in a case, primers getting 'stuck' in the tube and I don't realize it until I see powder on the shellplate, etc. I just installed the emi filter kit and hope this will stop the sudden re-boot of the tablet which is a pain, also.

Basically I'm happy with this machine, but I was wondering how much genuine improvement an EVO will make over my current process. I'd buy the EVO manual press and the conversion kit etc to use my current autodrive, so it's be ~$4k total now (in addition to the ~$3k I spent in 2016 plus the sensors as they became available). I just don't know if the improvements warrant that.

And how much time does it take to change calibers (pistols only...9mm to 45 ACP etc)?

Clint

On 2/21/2019 at 8:14 PM, Clint007 said:

I've had a Mark 7 1050 PRO since 2016. I have depriming sensor, swage sense, and bullet sense.  I have an RF100 primer filler.

I was wondering if the current EVO is more or less temperamental than my current set up.   I don't know if I'm an outlier with things, but it's rare than I can load more than 500 rounds without sometime happening that takes anywhere from 5 sec to 15 min to fix.  I've probably got 125-150k rounds through this set up. Things that happen include cases getting hung up as they enter the shellplate, upside down cases jamming the shellplate between station 1-2, primers getting jammed in the primer slide station, the snap ring on the Dillon depriming die breaking or the primer pin bending on a titled case or debris in a case, primers getting 'stuck' in the tube and I don't realize it until I see powder on the shellplate, etc. I just installed the emi filter kit and hope this will stop the sudden re-boot of the tablet which is a pain, also.

Basically I'm happy with this machine, but I was wondering how much genuine improvement an EVO will make over my current process. I'd buy the EVO manual press and the conversion kit etc to use my current autodrive, so it's be ~$4k total now (in addition to the ~$3k I spent in 2016 plus the sensors as they became available). I just don't know if the improvements warrant that.

And how much time does it take to change calibers (pistols only...9mm to 45 ACP etc)?

Clint

Of course the answer is, "it depends". The first "it depends" is on the quality of your brass. Is it well sorted, did you pre-process your brass, etc... For example, I fully pre-process my brass (sort, wet tumbled, roll sized, decapped, 3 sizing dies, wet tumbled) before it touches my evo. By the time I'm done processing, I have some really well sorted well sized brass, actually allows me to run the evo pro at a clutch setting of 0 for loading 9mm! Some other things can help, I've found the mighty armory decapping die to be superior than the dillon die, i.e. you aren't going to have snapped decapping rings. I've had a couple upside down cases (out of 4k rounds) with the evo-pro, partially dependent on how well you adjust the case feeder. I've never had a single primer problem, never had a tilted case. EMI might be an issue however I avoid EMI problems by running everything off a high quality UPS. The Evo pro is plugged into the battery powered side of the power supply, everything else runs off the surge protected only side of the UPS, isolates the electrical accessories from the main press drive. You can still have hiccups if you don't adjust the dies correctly and or don't lubricate the machine, between torque sense, clutch sense, swage sense, powder sense, and bullet sense, there isn't much of anything that holds me up and I have peace of mind while the machine runs. I can easily crank through more than 500 rounds without stopping to fix a problem. Might have more of an issue with unprocessed brass.

Edited by Smithcity

On 1/30/2019 at 10:21 AM, Ocrrhbow said:

So as to keep the technical thread as clean as possible I will make my comment here.  Thank you very much.  I am certain the Mark 7 Evolution will get any glitches it currently has worked out and will represent the gold standard for consumer reloading for many years to come.  I feel fortunate that I was able to get one of the first units, at a very discounted price point from the current offering.  even at the current price point the quality of materials,workmanship, and versatility of the press is amazing.  I would advise anyone who is on the fence about buying one to go ahead and make the purchase now.  Even at the current price point I believe Mark 7 will have all the business they can handle.     

Will the swage on my mark 7 work fine with mill 9mm brass?

• 1 month later...

I, almost exclusively, use military 9mm brass for reloading.  My machine was one of the very first Evolutions sold; #21 I believe.  Initially I had a problem with properly seating the primers in WCC head stamped military 9mm ball casings.  I had the folks at Mark 7 look at my press and they were able to easily fix it.  The press has run perfectly since then.  Your press should process military 9mm brass with no problem.  If you do have a problem the tech support folks at Mark 7 can help you get it to 100%.  They are very helpful.

Edited by Ocrrhbow

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, Matty0132 said:

Will the swage on my mark 7 work fine with mill 9mm brass? 

3 minutes ago, Ocrrhbow said:

I, almost exclusively, use military 9mm brass for reloading.  My machine was one of the very first Evolutions sold; #21 I believe.  Initially I had a problem with properly seating the primers in WCC head stamped military 9mm ball casings.  I had the folks at Mark 7 look at my press and they were able to easily fix it.  The press has run perfectly since then.  Your press should process military 9mm brass with no problem.  If you do have a problem the tech support folks at Mark 7 can help you get it to 100%.  They are very helpful.

Anyone received their primer collator? I was told back in December that I was in the next batch of ones to be shipped but here we are 4/19 and I still don't have a primer collator. I also ordered this almost a year ago.

I find it hard to believe that I was in the next batch of ones being built in December.