Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution - General Discussion

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holding off here too.  I not overly impresses by the editing on their facebook page when someone asked about the smaller pistol drums on the "Powder measure anyone?" post and the comments below simply won't load/deleted.  I for one would like to know as I probably won't get a machine until they do a smaller drum

7 hours ago, Avenida said:

Are all machines affected or only the ones with autodrive?

I have a Revolution and I have not had any issues for several months and thousands of rounds. I am tuned now to run it at 3,000 RPH setting. 

My manual version has been amazing.  I have press #25.  It was a learning curve for me getting used to the dillon 1050 type operation, and adjusted swage and stuff, I had some learning to do on how to adjust dies for my 223 loading and was one of the early people to get the 2nd guide rod which really stiffens up the press for rifle.  I have done about 2500 rnds 223 on it, and about 4000rnds 9mm.  Overall very happy with this press (manual version).

ETA:  I initially got the rifle version with rifle powder measure.  For pistol, I just put a hornady LNL powder measure on and it works really well, especially since I can't manually crank this thing up much beyond a rate of 1500/hr

Edited by jcwallace84

I now have more than 100k rounds loaded on my Evolution Pro. Running okay with Dillon casefeeder and Dillon powder measure.
Now just thinking of getting the 3500rph motor upgrade as mine is the older 2500rph generation. On the older motor it's not possible to run >1600rph without using case lube..

On 6/16/2019 at 6:36 PM, Avenida said:

I was thinking of upgrading to a Mark 7 but after reading all these issues I feel more like.... just keeping my 650.

can anyone confirm what is the status of the current Evolution presses. I can't afford to wait for a 'working' press of going through teething pains so if this is the case I will refrain from looking into this any further. thanks!

What do you want to know?  I have over 40,000 rounds through my very early Mark 7 Evo press, which I added the autodrive to after 10k rounds to make it an Evo Pro.  Most of the "issues" that I had early on last year were addressed a while ago with new parts and those have all been incorporated into the latest version of the press.  I think the bottom line is if you're mechanically inclined and able to troubleshoot problems, it's not difficult to keep this press running smoothly.  I typically run several hundred rounds at a time with nothing other than needing to refill the primer tube.  The vast majority of stoppages are non-issues that I clear and keep rolling, such as decap sensor errors.  Occasionally I get a sideways primer or something like that as a hard stop that takes a few minutes to clear out.  Simple test would be:  Can you completely disassemble and reassemble your press?  If so, you'll be fine.  

8 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

What do you want to know?  I have over 40,000 rounds through my very early Mark 7 Evo press, which I added the autodrive to after 10k rounds to make it an Evo Pro.  Most of the "issues" that I had early on last year were addressed a while ago with new parts and those have all been incorporated into the latest version of the press.  I think the bottom line is if you're mechanically inclined and able to troubleshoot problems, it's not difficult to keep this press running smoothly.  I typically run several hundred rounds at a time with nothing other than needing to refill the primer tube.  The vast majority of stoppages are non-issues that I clear and keep rolling, such as decap sensor errors.  Occasionally I get a sideways primer or something like that as a hard stop that takes a few minutes to clear out.  Simple test would be:  Can you completely disassemble and reassemble your press?  If so, you'll be fine.  

Yea that is not an issue for me, know my Dillons inside out.

for me to purchase the Mark 7 I wouls have to sell the Dillon so dont want to be left hanging without a working press if I do get a mark 7. 

I am very interested in since it seems well built. The new lyman acquisition concerns me a bit as this could mean a new set of growing pains and therefore lack of support.

Wondering if there is anybody here who has gotten a recent build just to see if these are trouble free.

I received my powder measure that has been rebuilt for the second time now.  I loaded about a thousand rounds last week and the measure seems consistent within 4.70-4.80 grains of ramshot competition that I use which is a flake powder and this was with garbage mixed brass that I didnt bother to clean all that well.  I did not see any more issues with the powder measure sticking like I had before.  I run mine at 2800 RPH with a few of the settings tuned such as bottom dwell and index getting an actual RPH of about 2600.  

My buddy just got his updated revolution with a newer edition of the primer colater and ran several thousand 9mm with little trouble.  He did have a few flipped primers but is going to be getting a new bowl or something like that soon that is supposed to help. 

In the thousand that I loaded on my evolution the only stoppages I had were related to primer pull back which I guess I am just going to have to deal with. The decap sensor catches it, its just annoying with it happening 2-5 times per 100.  This is using the first generation of the Mighty Armory decap die.  Im unsure if it has been corrected since or if it just the brass I happen to have on hand.  The other issue I would see is the bullet feeder dropping two bullets occasionally, no matter how many times I try to perfect the die.  I had luck using rubber bands to hold more tension on the dropper but they dont last long.  There is an aftermarket spring thing that fixes it but they want $30 just for shipping and I refuse.  On the bullet feeder pro the brass piece is about twice the size and I imagine fixes this issue as well over the standard bullet feeder.  

5 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

In the thousand that I loaded on my evolution the only stoppages I had were related to primer pull back which I guess I am just going to have to deal with. The decap sensor catches it, its just annoying with it happening 2-5 times per 100.  This is using the first generation of the Mighty Armory decap die.  Im unsure if it has been corrected since or if it just the brass I happen to have on hand.  The other issue I would see is the bullet feeder dropping two bullets occasionally, no matter how many times I try to perfect the die.  I had luck using rubber bands to hold more tension on the dropper but they dont last long.  There is an aftermarket spring thing that fixes it but they want $30 just for shipping and I refuse.  On the bullet feeder pro the brass piece is about twice the size and I imagine fixes this issue as well over the standard bullet feeder.  

I have a first gen Might Armory decapping die and had this issue early on. I spoke with Might Armory and they suggested polishing the tip of the decapping pin with 2000 grit. I have not had any issues with pull back since doing that.

1 hour ago, BlindAsABat said:

I have a first gen Might Armory decapping die and had this issue early on. I spoke with Might Armory and they suggested polishing the tip of the decapping pin with 2000 grit. I have not had any issues with pull back since doing that.

Just like any other die. Just put a small bevel on the tip. You can search for the issue here and find lots of fixes

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

Just like any other die. Just put a small bevel on the tip. You can search for the issue here and find lots of fixes

Ive beveled sanded polished rubbed begged pleaded and spit on. I have dozens of pins ive tried different things on.   Didnt have the issue with other dies.  The design of the die is great, no more jacking with tension nuts.  But have a lot of issues with pull back.

Ive beveled sanded polished rubbed begged pleaded and spit on. I have dozens of pins ive tried different things on.   Didnt have the issue with other dies.  The design of the die is great, no more jacking with tension nuts.  But have a lot of issues with pull back.

MA is releasing their spring based decapping stem later this week. Supposed to cure the suck back issue. I’ll be ordering 1 to try.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:52 AM, CrashDodson said:

I received my powder measure that has been rebuilt for the second time now.  I loaded about a thousand rounds last week and the measure seems consistent within 4.70-4.80 grains of ramshot competition that I use which is a flake powder and this was with garbage mixed brass that I didnt bother to clean all that well.  I did not see any more issues with the powder measure sticking like I had before.  I run mine at 2800 RPH with a few of the settings tuned such as bottom dwell and index getting an actual RPH of about 2600.  

My buddy just got his updated revolution with a newer edition of the primer colater and ran several thousand 9mm with little trouble.  He did have a few flipped primers but is going to be getting a new bowl or something like that soon that is supposed to help. 

Just glue a piece of lead or brass to it. It just needs more weight. Make sure the cables are not pulling, use zip ties to bring them closer to the die and let them hang with lots of slack and no tension.

the dropper has to move fast or it will let one or many bullets down.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:52 AM, CrashDodson said:

.  On the bullet feeder pro the brass piece is about twice the size and I imagine fixes this issue as well over the standard bullet feeder.  

Yep, MK7 sent me a new bowl a while back that fixed the flipped primer issue. And yes, the bullet feeder pro does not have the issue of dropped bullets that I used to have on the regular bullet feeder that was on my Dillon (rubber banding it to the crimp die had fixed it).

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RIIID said:

Maybe things might improve since Lyman has bought the company.

Rich

Lyman is bringing production scale... Mark 7 is staying on Florida.  I honestly do not want Lyman customer support that can troubleshoot a Lyman turret press, giving me advice on my Evo Pro.

I like being able to contact support at Mark 7 and being asked for video of my issue or to be in front of the machine so they can walk me thru troubleshooting process.

My support issues this past month were solved 2 of 2 with stellar service from Mark 7.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 10:47 PM, tanks said:

Available to PAY FOR, not quite ready to actually ship yet.  I pre-ordered it when it was first announced in March and was told last week that is should ship "soon".

On 8/2/2019 at 10:49 PM, Smithcity said:

Anyone bought the prime collator for the evo pro? How has it worked so far? The orientation sensor and collator sound great!

I don't remember seeing anyone else who had upgraded to the collator on an Evo Pro, but may have missed it.  My press is at Mark 7 now getting the collator installed, I should have it back next week and will post up about the collator upgrade after I get some rounds through it to try it out.  See comment above about the orientation sensor availability, yes I'm excited to get that added finally as well, it's the last piece of the puzzle of common things that can go haywire while loading that cause issues that aren't caught immediately.  I already have the decap, swage, powder check and bullet sensors.  I'm planning to be pretty well hands-off for 300 round batches now after the collator and that sensor are installed.  The bullet and brass hoppers hold 300, and now I'll be able to load 300 primers.

P.S. - I upgraded to the digital powder measure while the press was being refurbished as well.  In hindsight, I should have just bought a Revolution 2 years ago when I first bought the manual Evo press!  🙂

Edited by Tanfastic

3 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

I don't remember seeing anyone else who had upgraded to the collator on an Evo Pro, but may have missed it.  My press is at Mark 7 now getting the collator installed, I should have it back next week and will post up about the collator upgrade after I get some rounds through it to try it out.  See comment above about the orientation sensor availability, yes I'm excited to get that added finally as well, it's the last piece of the puzzle of common things that can go haywire while loading that cause issues that aren't caught immediately.  I already have the decap, swage, powder check and bullet sensors.  I'm planning to be pretty well hands-off for 300 round batches now after the collator and that sensor are installed.  The bullet and brass hoppers hold 300, and now I'll be able to load 300 primers.

P.S. - I upgraded to the digital powder measure while the press was being refurbished as well.  In hindsight, I should have just bought a Revolution 2 years ago when I first bought the manual Evo press!  🙂

Follow up questions.

Why move to the electronic powder drop. Is it any more accurate?

Why is M7 installing the collator? Should i assume if i buy one i should aend my machine back for proper fitting?

18 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

I have a friend who is loading commercially on the revolution with the electronic powder sensor.  He is seeing .4 deviations.  

Guessing he is loading rifle? 0.4gr spread for say a 4.0gr drop for 9mm wouldnt go over so well.