Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution - General Discussion

1 hour ago, cool said:

Or this

aluminum piece it is necessary to adjust the tip to the file so that it fits perfectly the bowl, otherwise the cases come to hang on the tip and a screw to fix.
It is unacceptable for Hornady to make a bullet feeder that does not work properly.

20190201_171850-2.jpg

20190201_171936-2.jpg

I made a similar mod to my case feeder (LNL) by drilling a hole through the corner and inserting a small rod through it to make the ramp same idea as above just a different solution to keep cases from hanging up on the end of the ramp. I'll see if I can find a pick later

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Allenmat said:

Here are some Mods I made to my Evo to make reloading easier on me.

3. Case collator mod.  I do have the 3d printed part, but had cases coming up mouth first and getting caught on the point of the part.  This simple mod works fine.

I was having the same issue, the designer of the knubble says I should take out the screw heads on the shellplate and it would be fixed.  I personally just left the clamp in place on the printed fix.

My video with the test print (I reprinted one that looks better now):

18 hours ago, Allenmat said:

3. Case collator mod.  I do have the 3d printed part, but had cases coming up mouth first and getting caught on the point of the part.  This simple mod works fine.

I had the same issue with the 3D printed part and noticed that if I fill just ~300 cases to the feeder, it works as expected. Fill more and you start getting cases upside down.

Now I'm working on a new "bullet sense", that doesn't require the mirror assembly...

If you're on a time crunch like me, you can buy a Hornady case feeder fix pre-made from these guys.  I did the 3D printed part and it turned out great, it just had an interference of a few hundredths maybe, otherwise it'd be perfect.  As it was, it would catch a piece of 9mm neck first and get jammed.  It must be a tolerance thing. 

https://www.sassybrass.com/sassybrass/product/casecage/

11 hours ago, cool said:

Or this

aluminum piece it is necessary to adjust the tip to the file so that it fits perfectly the bowl, otherwise the cases come to hang on the tip and a screw to fix.
It is unacceptable for Hornady to make a bullet feeder that does not work properly.

20190201_171850-2.jpg

20190201_171936-2.jpg

Another good fix.  I think if you could put an 1/8 in liner inside the drum, it would fix everything.  No idea why Hornady has so much space between the wall and shell plate.

This just in from the MK7 Facebook page, looks like a new batch of Bullet Sense sensors are in the works!  I have one on backorder so hoping it will ship soon (even those these appear to be Dillon ones).

MK7BulletSenseMount.jpg

Edited by Tanfastic

Hello, having problem adjusting the index pawl screw on my Evo. Have tried two different allen keys (5/64) but none of them really gets a grep of the screw so it can be adjusted. 

They have a ball tip. Any ideas how I can reach that screw and inspect it and see if it's damaged? The angel and distance (4") makes it really hard to get a grip and be able to adjust it. My index plate isn't moving at all atm, new from the box :( 

image.thumb.png.277485e806e085aa2ab99dff7b0504a6.png

Edited by frang0

9 hours ago, frang0 said:

Hello, having problem adjusting the index pawl screw on my Evo. Have tried two different allen keys (5/64) but none of them really gets a grep of the screw so it can be adjusted. 

They have a ball tip. Any ideas how I can reach that screw and inspect it and see if it's damaged? The angel and distance (4") makes it really hard to get a grip and be able to adjust it. My index plate isn't moving at all atm, new from the box :( 

image.thumb.png.277485e806e085aa2ab99dff7b0504a6.png

First, the press has to be in the upper position.  The adjusting screw moves when the press in down.  

You can easily use a flashlight to see the screw.  My hex wrench is 3 1/2" long and sticks out about an inch so the reach is not 4 inches.

Also, make sure you can manually index the shell plate so you can rule out some sort of jam.

Al 

Thanks AI, I'm able to reach the screw but I can not get a grip of it so I can turn it. If you lift of the tool head and shell plate can you access and see the screw then? 

Edited by frang0

Today I measured how the speed affects powder charge. Powder was Reload Swiss RS24 which is an extured powder, very similar to Vihtavuori 3N38.

Balance was a very accurate analytical scale, confirmed to have max 0,0001 gram error.
Once I have time I'll do similar checks with TiteGroup and AutoComp also.
Units in the table are grains.

image.png.8debce5daad592500d3410837abbab58.png

21 minutes ago, mikamarj said:

Today I measured how the speed affects powder charge. Powder was Reload Swiss RS24 which is an extured powder, very similar to Vihtavuori 3N38.

Balance was a very accurate analytical scale, confirmed to have max 0,0001 gram error.
Once I have time I'll do similar checks with TiteGroup and AutoComp also.
Units in the table are grains.

image.png.8debce5daad592500d3410837abbab58.png

What do you have the top/bottom dwell set to?

9 minutes ago, Tanfastic said:

What do you have the top/bottom dwell set to?

For this measurement I used 3 for index speed, top and bottom dwells just to have as little as possible variations caused by other things than the powder measure.

Normally when reloading I've used 1900rph speed, index speed 2, dwells 1.

27 minutes ago, mikamarj said:

For this measurement I used 3 for index speed, top and bottom dwells just to have as little as possible variations caused by other things than the powder measure.

Normally when reloading I've used 1900rph speed, index speed 2, dwells 1.

Great, thanks for the info.  So this seems to support the explanation from MK7 that the "splash back" of powder due to the impact of the powder funnel against the actuating case and subsequent rapid rotation of the rotary drum is what causes the variation, since the impact is greater at higher press speeds.  

1 minute ago, ddc said:

mikamarj,

I am curious what your process is for capturing the data.

Do you run the press at a given setting for a while and then stop and weigh the case that was just filled?

I captured this data with the press empty except for the single brass that i was using for measuring the powder charges. So I had the case sized, primed etc. and just weighed the charge I got with that single case in the press. Difference in charge weight variation with different speeds was already remarkable, so I didn't really see a need to do anything more fancy...

1 minute ago, ddc said:

mikamarj,

I am curious what your process is for capturing the data.

Do you run the press at a given setting for a while and then stop and weigh the case that was just filled?

I captured this data with the press empty except for the single brass that i was using for measuring the powder charges. So I had the case sized, primed etc. and just weighed the charge I got with that single case in the press. Difference in charge weight variation with different speeds was already remarkable, so I didn't really see a need to do anything more fancy...

2 hours ago, mikamarj said:

Sounds good, thanks.

To believe that you'd have to believe that you know more than the engineers at MK7 do, and also assume that they are being dishonest about it.  I know that on the internet that's standard operating procedure to assume that everything is a conspiracy and that everyone's motives are nefarious, but I'm not buying it.  I'm fully expecting to get my revised powder drum linkage soon and that this measure will be just as accurate as anything else on the market.