Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution - General Discussion

No...9mm.  .40.  38SC currently.  

It is a problem and his revolution is back to Mark 7 for the 4th time I think.  Its lighting off primers every 10th case or so.

He has had so much trouble I think he just got a lemon....but M7 has not just replaced the whole thing.  He just ordered 3 Ammo bots and a Alpha priming system instead of continuing to deal with his revolution.  

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Smithcity said:

Follow up questions.

Why move to the electronic powder drop. Is it any more accurate?

Why is M7 installing the collator? Should i assume if i buy one i should aend my machine back for proper fitting?

I have a very early machine (single digit serial number), and although I had it all running pretty smoothly this year MK7 offered to do a full refurbish on it to upgrade all of the fasteners to the latest spec, measure all of the tolerances, etc. and do a full function test on it, and while it was there I told them to just install the collator at the same time since I had already ordered it.  Per MK7 the digital measure is their most accurate.  I'll find out how it compares when I get it back, I was at about .2 gr variance with the old powder measure running at 2100 rph with a 3.1 gr of Titegroup target load.  I think the biggest advantage is having the drop be the same regardless of the press speed you're running.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 9:51 PM, tanks said:

I haven't seen more than an occasional +/- 0.1 grain deviation (I check every 200 rounds or so) from my electronic powder measure since they replaced it with the new model.

Same.  Though I never had the old model.  When I first ordered my Revo i  was advised the electronic had some emi issues and to stay mechanical.  My first Revo had issues ...after much remote troubleshooting, I got a new one and sent the old one back.  I upgraded the new one to digital powder measure and primer collator with new style bowl.   I get about a .1 max deviation also.  I was testing every 10th round for the first 5,000 or so. Now about every 2-400. I keep mine on 3stage, and it has that ‘waggle’ programmed in at the top of the stroke.  

For primers , I get a flipped one maybe every 1-2000. I notice it’s a higher rate of flips when the bowl is nearing empty. This new Revo has been virtually trouble free.  I’ve only loaded about 20 thou on it, and processed another 40 thou or so.  My only complaint is even on clutch setting of 1 I still bend or break MA decapping pins in an obstructed case.   But that’s my fault. I’ve got a lot of outdoor pickup and occasionally a piece of crushed granite from the range is hiding down in the case and didn’t come out during my dry tumble session. 

Like others have said - sometimes it’s not as fast a resolution as you’d like,  but the M7 team is great to work with, and they’ll stay after it to resolution. I’ve had Misty and Chris text me after hours or on weekends more than once to answer a question.  I’ve had Anthony and Misty on a FaceTime session  till midnight working thru an issue on the old press. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 2:46 PM, miser201 said:

Can you trim 300 Blkout with the Evolution with no modification to the tool head?  The Super 1050 requires a different tool head, is this the case with the evolution?

There is an offset toolhead available for trimming down the 223/556 cases to 300 Blackout. Recommend is 2 trimmers in the same toolhead to cut the case twice to smooth out the process. 

Link to youtube video: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Primer Orientation sensor is the bees knees, love it on my Revo, but the new digital powder measure with the smaller drum cavity for pistol is amazing. I've weighed over 1000 throws this past week, charge I want is 3.20 grs TG, heaviest was 1 throw of 3.24, and then around 20 at 3.22 a few at 3.21, some at 3.18 and the rest 3.20 exactly. I weighed 500 immediately after setting it up, and then 500 more randomly over the rest of the week of loading. 

11 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Wish they would let us trade in the garbage mechanical one for credit to a digital one. 

You might contact them. I have the manual powder throw. Nothing but problems when I first got it. Mark 7 ended up traded out my old problematic one for a new mechanical one. This was about 2 months ago. The new one is awesome very consistent throws.  About .04gr on my gem pro scale. And much smoother.

I had one of the first EVO. Misty at Mark 7 has treated me very well. My press always gave me problems.  However M7 totally rebuilt the press with pretty much all new parts. They even shipped packaging and return label. So I could send it back to them. Customer service has been top notch. And they are really trying to solve the issues of their early released products. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 10:44 AM, slavex said:

The Primer Orientation sensor is the bees knees, love it on my Revo, but the new digital powder measure with the smaller drum cavity for pistol is amazing. I've weighed over 1000 throws this past week, charge I want is 3.20 grs TG, heaviest was 1 throw of 3.24, and then around 20 at 3.22 a few at 3.21, some at 3.18 and the rest 3.20 exactly. I weighed 500 immediately after setting it up, and then 500 more randomly over the rest of the week of loading. 

Yeah. I just got a chance to install mine finally. Once I got it dialed in , its awesome.  I almost never have flipped primers, but occasionally would get primers stuck right at the bottom of the ramp...like right where they go into the disk. So it was really easy to to miss that they weren't feeding for quite a few rounds before you noticed it and rectified. Quick clean of the ramp would solve it, but still left a bucket of rounds with powder in it and a bunch of rounds to pull. Looks like those days are over!

Edited by OptimiStick

I do admit I would love to have a sensor that was detecting upside down primers on the ramp itself, as one of the primers I use are so soft they are not salvageable like Federal and CCI are (yes I pop em out and reuse em)

• 5 weeks later...

I posted this in the Evo troubleshooting thread by accident...it's really should be here. 

I'm finally getting my new reloading space set up. I bought my Evo from DAA in early 2018 and it was delivered in early November of 2018. In June of 2018 we sold our house with the intention of downsizing. However, the contractor could not get the planning board to get out of their own way, so after a year in a two bed-roomed apartments with two kids and a dog we gave up an bought another house. Since I'm an architectural designer I could not leave anything untouched we rehabbed the entire house (well, inside for now...outside will have to wait).

Part of the work was creating a 7 foot wide by 24 long swat out of the garage for my new man cave. The house work came first but I picked away at my space. It's finally getting there and this week I set up the press table and Evo. The table is an old electric Hamilton drafting table that can raise and lower, and the cement block are for added stability. I tested the table to make sure it would lift the press and extras and stopped after loading over 150lbs on it, so clearly the motor and 1 1/8" dia worm drive are up to the task. The table is super stable at sitting height but I noticed the extra weight of the case and bullet feeders caused some movement (vibration) when I elevate the table to standing height. I'm not actually producing ammo yet, just cycling the press to get a feel for it. I read here and on a few other forums that folks sometimes mount the case and bullet feeders on a wall so all that extra weight is not hanging off the press. Makes sense as it a lot of weight on a light gauge 1" square tubing. Making a frame and hanging the case and bullet feeders from the ceiling is not an issue and something that I could easily do, but I'm looking for feedback on what you guys think. Do you think the vibration will cause any issues......the powder die is my biggest concern? I really like the idea of changing the height of the press to suit standing or sitting or filling the hoppers or just looking at something without bending over, but I'm a tad concerned that my Hamilton table idea will cause other issue. Cheers.....

IMG_20200129_184116.thumb.jpg.916965d194ebf5139e1a6d17c45c3c30.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello all, 

I was looking into ordering an Evo Pro ASAP. This will be used to load 9mm. Ideally id like to be in around 5500$ to start. And would prefer not to have to buy anything twice so willing to sacrifice speed FOR consistency and safety to start.  On the other hand I’d also like the press to be adjustable with regards to the dies. And any options that will speed up the initial bring up.

Thank you,

looking forward to any input or recommendations

Edited by TheStagePlan

I do admit I would love to have a sensor that was detecting upside down primers on the ramp itself, as one of the primers I use are so soft they are not salvageable like Federal and CCI are (yes I pop em out and reuse em)

I do, too, although I set them aside for practice with the sticky-in-gauge rounds.

But what kind of primers are you using that are softer than Federal?

Quote came back with the whole Shabang for 6900. I guess sell my 1050 and the puts me right in the 5500 range 😶 anything I should add or remove I was going to skip all the additional accessories

would you swap out the powder measure ?  For the digital? 

503F76F2-1332-47A8-AF75-7116C32C6CA7.jpeg

Edited by TheStagePlan

Quote came back with the whole Shabang for 6900. I guess sell my 1050 and the puts me right in the 5500 range [emoji55] anything I should add or remove I was going to skip all the additional accessories

would you swap out the powder measure ?  For the digital? 
503F76F2-1332-47A8-AF75-7116C32C6CA7.jpeg.adf57b06a35c27ca2d14113d9703fb8d.jpeg

The new/fixed pistol powder drum on the mechanical powder thrower is working well.

0.02gr SD and 0.08gr ES using N320.

@Jim Watson using Ginex primers, softest primers I've ever used. It doesn't mean they are necessarily easier to ignite than Federal (I'd say they are about the same), but the metal of them is much softer. If I have an upside down one I have about a 30 percent chance of knocking it out successfully, most times it either distorts so much that the anvil and priming compound fall out and it gets a huge dimple in the face. Sometimes the decapping pin actually penetrates the primer and punches out all that stuff too. Super soft metal. 

@Jim Watson If I had my way I'd only use Federal all the time, but supply up here can be a bitch and I have to take what my sponsors give me. I keep the Federals for matches, next on the list would be CCI, and then S&B and lastly the Ginex, even though they are reliable, I don't trust them 100% yet

I'm newer to this game but I stocked up like mad on Federals when there was a crazy sale at a local store a few months back.  $39.99 Canadian a case plus there was the rebate too (in US$!!).  Won't be seeing those prices anytime soon again.....

Fiocchi's are very reliable for my auto's.

On 3/16/2020 at 12:05 PM, candiru said:

The new/fixed pistol powder drum on the mechanical powder thrower is working well.

0.02gr SD and 0.08gr ES using N320.

Good to know pretty much everyone that I have spoke with over the weekend had major concerns with the powder system on this press. I’m starting to consider holding onto the 1050.

What setup are you running. ? 

10 hours ago, Wheelsonly said:

Good to know pretty much everyone that I have spoke with over the weekend had major concerns with the powder system on this press. I’m starting to consider holding onto the 1050.

I think that's old news, I haven't seen anyone who has the newer small-drum pistol measure report any continued issues at all with powder charge consistency. There were LOTS of issues initially with the large drum measure for any of us who were loading light pistol loads, I was getting 0.2gr variance pretty much all the time. I'm now using the new small drum digital measure set on 3-stage drop, and it's nearly perfect, I set it to 3.10gr and I get 3.06gr-3.15gr, measured many times across multiple reloading sessions for thousands of rounds for the past few months running at 2000-2500 rph. It's been so consistent now that I don't even remember to check it for long periods of time since I'm no longer concerned with it, whereas previously I was constantly checking it.

Edited by Tanfastic

13 hours ago, Wheelsonly said:

The powder drop was the big thing that kept me away -- the original Mark7 owner's bulls#!t about the precision and accuracy of the original powder drop was off-putting to the say the least.  With the new small drum, the mechanical powder drop is finally actually good. The 0.02gr SD is the limit precision for my scale and across multiple 10-20 check runs the ES is averaging 0.06gr -- which is as good as I get on my well-tuned 1050.

My setup is Mark7 Evo Pro with the extra guide rod, mechanical powder drop, stacked primer system, regular MBF, and the regular case feeder. Now that the powder drop is working as it should, the most annoying thing is the case feeder that jams way too often.