Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 vs 550b - when to upgrade??

I've been using a Dillon 550b for loading 9mm the past 8 years.  I'm currently shooting 1,500 to 2,000 rounds per month.  Just wondering if it makes sense to move to a Dillon 1050?  I can buy a used one fully set up for 9mm for about $1,100.  Go, no go???  I'd keep the 550b for .45acp even though I don't shoot that very much...

I can't give you an answer to that, instead let me offer you a way to think about it.

The way I think about that is what's your time worth? A 1050 is 2x or more the loading speed of a 550. When you find the need to reduce your time spent loading for a month by that much (other stuff in your life needs the time) and you are willing to pay that to get the loading time back... then you have your answer.

I still load all my pistol ammo on a 650 (I also have a 1050 that I use for processing. 233 brass) but that's what works for me.

I just upgraded to a 1050 couple weeks ago. Started on sdb then went to 650. The 1050 is it. Night and day compared to the others. Only been setting it up and messing with it a little do to space while building new house and I tell you I can’t wait to see what it will do in my new reloading room. You won’t regret getting it. 

I was in the same boat as you.  I could bang out rounds fairly fast (so I thought) on the 550.  Then I broke down and got the 1050.

Totally night and day especially if you are loading over 1000 rounds a month.  Sure you can do that on a 550 but why go through all that headache?  Think of it like needing to dig a ditch.  You can certainly hack away at it with a pick and shovel, but why go through that pain when you can use a tool designed specifically for the task like a ditch witch.

Get the 1050 for the higher volume ammo production.  And with the extra cash you saved over buying the 1050 new buy a bullet feeder.  You'll wonder how you ever got along without one once its all set up and running.  It's really nice being able to effortlessly bang out 1000 rounds in less than a hour.

11 hours ago, mvmojo said:

I can buy a used one fully set up for 9mm for about $1,100.   

Great price, obviously,

Great machine, obviously.

Don't forget, Dillon does NOT have an unlimited warranty on the 1050's - check out the condition of the machine.

p.s.   if you decide NOT to buy it, send me a message and let me know where you found it.    :) 

That's my plan - use the 1050 for 9mm, which I shoot about 2K rounds per month and keep the 550b for .45 acp.  From what I understand, it's much easier to change calibers with the 550b than it is the 1050, which is a production machine!  Gonna pick it up on Tuesday.  Now just trying to make room on the bench for two presses!

550 for load work up and odd calibers .1050 for production. 

Bought my 1050 a year ago best money i have spent in a long time.

Most 9mm that i get has crimped primers . this was the deciding factor.

223 process on 1050 load on 550.  life is good.

Jump on it!!!

I scored a 1050 for $1,500. $1,100 is an insane price. Grab it.

I jumped from a 650 with bulletfeeder to a 1050, and thought it was worth it beyond measure. Coming from a 500, you’ll literally be in heaven.

1,000 is done in an hour at a very casual pace. Very casual. With good brass and the press totally tuned flawlessly? Well over 1,00 per hour should be fairly easy to accomplish.

And yes you unbolt the entire upper half of a 1050 to change calibers. 70% of the press coems apart.

1050 owners either load several month’s worth of one caliber THEN swap the press over, or leave it set up for one caliber. If you always have been “make 200 of everything, go shoot it all, repeat?”  you’ll quit that on the 1050 fast!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

To answer the topic's title...

When you can afford it.

The 550 makes a lot of sense if you're not shooting as much or you're shooting a lot of different calibers as the conversions are cheaper. But honestly, if you could afford it? I think most people would just have rows of 1050's.

I don't shoot anywhere enough to really justify the 1050, but I can sit down and crank out hundreds of rounds in less time than any other press this side of an auto. Time becomes the most expensive commodity at a certain point in one's life.

I don't know that my time is worth much in terms of $$$, but like everyone, time is a precious commodity that once squandered  (OK, expended if you wish) can never be regained!  I don't find reloading particularly onerous, but in really I  don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I enjoy shooting.  I tend to sit down and load 200-300 rounds at a time (300 takes maybe an hour including primer tube loading, case gauging, etc.) then get bored and quit.  I'm shooting about 500-600  rounds per week, so that's 2 hours per week, 8+ hours per month, plus I'd like to keep several rounds in reserve.  A few hours/week is not that big of a deal, but if I can cut it in half that, why not?  Since I'm retired and have time on my hands, I can't make the numbers work in terms of the 1050 making economical sense, but in terms of me being able to crank out a weeks worth of ammo in less than an hour - who knows, maybe I'll shoot more and get better at it!  

I really appreciate all the comments - this forum is great for bouncing ideas around!

On 1/8/2019 at 8:30 PM, mvmojo said:

I've been using a Dillon 550b for loading 9mm the past 8 years.  I'm currently shooting 1,500 to 2,000 rounds per month.  Just wondering if it makes sense to move to a Dillon 1050?  I can buy a used one fully set up for 9mm for about $1,100.  Go, no go???  I'd keep the 550b for .45acp even though I don't shoot that very much...

For that money, if you can afford it, I would say buy it.... You will not using to full potential but better to have it and not need it that need it and not have it!!!!!

I upgrade to 650 from 550, not because I really wanted to but got a 650 for a price I could not pass up.....

Edited by mag17

1 hour ago, mvmojo said:

Yup, well stated.  I pick it up on Tuesday - got the price down to $1,000 cash fully set up for 9mm.  What's not to like?!

That’s a great deal. I thought I was getting a good deal. I paid 2k for s brand new 1050 in40cal and a new mbf for it. Pkg deal.