Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 vs 550b - when to upgrade??

I’m gonna be upgrading soon. My loadmaster gets it done pretty much as fast as I need. I can comfortably do about 500rds per hour, including filling primer trays and all. But as I get older I have less and less time. So a 1050 with a bullet  feeder will double my output. My wife and I don’t even have kids yet. I can only imagine once I have to take them to sports practice and this and that my time will be even more limited. It’ll be nice to spend a Saturday morning making enough  ammo for 6 months. I’m gonna add an anmobot at some point too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the used Dillon 1050 last week for $1,000 cash out the door including 9mm dies.  Heck of a deal.  WOW!!!! what a difference from the 550b!  This thing runs as smooth as silk and just cranks out the rounds.  The difference vs the 550b is night and day... this feels like an industrial/commercial system vs. a recreational system with the 550b.  Not to disparage the 550b at all, I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds on my 550b with essentially no problems.  But, the 1050 with the case feeder simply leaves the 550b in the dust.  Without any real effort I was able to load 100 rounds in 6 minutes!  The biggest problem is keeping the thing fed with primers, bullets and to some extent cases!  I'm finally able to stay ahead of how much I'm shooting without feeling like I'm a slave to the reloading press.  Anybody considering a 1050, like so many others said above, Go for it and don't look back!  Thanks to all who pushed me to pull the trigger on this thing.  Now all I gotta do is save up some coin for a Mr Bullet Feeder.  Not because I need it, but just because I WANT it!

41 minutes ago, Max It said:

as far as i know it the 1050 IS a Commercial machine! as such Dillon only warranties for one year. check it out.

the 550 is lifetime warranty no matter who owns it. I have 2.

you are correct... if the warranty is a factor, then the 1050 is not for you.  

You're right, the 1050 is only warranted for 1 year.  Dillon told me that's because they assume that many of the 1050's will be used commercially and may be run many hours per day.  It's also much more robust in terms of design than the 550/650, which supports high volume usage.  The 550/650's are generally used by individuals who may only use them a few hours per week.  Dillon is comfortable warranting the lower use machines, but since they can't reasonably predict the frequency of use of the 1050, they only warrantee it for a year.  But, they do stock parts for the 1050 and fully support it with phone advice, etc.

I bought mine from a commercial reloader who is scaling back his business due to a slowdown in the market for reloaded ammo.  He said the market has slowed, especially in 9mm, because of the current low online prices.  It cost me a little over 11 cents per round for 115 9mm using Bayou Bullets.  I've seen 115 9mm advertised for 16 cents per round including shipping.  Saving a nickel per round means a $1,000 press doesn't pay for itself until after 20,000 rounds.  That assumes that once you buy the press it has no resale (i.e., residual) value, which we know isn't true.  In my case, I'm fairly confident I could sell this press for what I paid for it for the foreseeable future.  So, I'll pocket the nickel per round savings and be able to custom tailor my loads for my gun.  Win-Win!

20 minutes ago, Butterpuc said:

you are correct... if the warranty is a factor, then the 1050 is not for you.  

I now disagree. Strongly.

Those of us who only had experience with the 550 and 650 worried about this because we had lifetime warranties, and the 550 and 650 feel similar. So why go to a “beefed up 650” and lose the warranty?

That changes when you operate a 1050 once. I looked back over at my old 650 expecting to see a Fischer Price logo on it; it feels like a children’s toy in comparison. 

A recreational user who loads to feed his USPSA hobby is not going to wear things out the way they did on the 650. Which, to be fair, is already a premium recreational press and rather tough.

Sure, if you do bust something you may have to pay for it, but it’s worth it to have this machine around. Wish I’d upgraded from a 650 years earlier.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I now disagree. Strongly.

Those of us who only had experience with the 550 and 650 worried about this because we had lifetime warranties, and the 550 and 650 feel similar. So why go to a “beefed up 650” and lose the warranty?

That changes when you operate a 1050 once. I looked back over at my old 650 expecting to see a Fischer Price logo on it; it feels like a children’s toy in comparison. 

A recreational user who loads to feed his USPSA hobby is not going to wear things out the way they did on the 650. Which, to be fair, is already a premium recreational press and rather tough.

Sure, if you do bust something you may have to pay for it, but it’s worth it to have this machine around. Wish I’d upgraded from a 650 years earlier.

I am not sure what you disagree with... I agree with you...

if warranties are your concern then the 550/650 is an excellent tool for that job...

when you step to a 1050, the thought of warranties goes out the window (at least it did for me).  I have not once ever thought "I wish I would downgrade to a 550/650, so I can have a lifetime warranty".  

Dillon has always treated me excellent with their customer service, if I break something, I fix it.  

I've been using a Dillon 550b for loading 9mm the past 8 years.  I'm currently shooting 1,500 to 2,000 rounds per month.  Just wondering if it makes sense to move to a Dillon 1050?  I can buy a used one fully set up for 9mm for about $1,100.  Go, no go???  I'd keep the 550b for .45acp even though I don't shoot that very much...
I went from a 550b that I had for about 20 years to a super 1050. I was shooting a lot more, and I wanted a faster machine. There was a big learning curve going to the 1050. I blew up my first primer ever because I wasn't used to the "feel" of the machine.

After that I got a bullet feeder. Then I got tired of pulling the handle all together and bought an Ammobot. The Ammobot was the best decision that I've made. That was the game changer. It is fast, and makes high quality ammo.

So I'm happy I switched, however, the only regret is that the caliber conversions (Mr. bullet feeder, shell plate, and primer conversions) are a lot more expensive.

$1100 for a fully setup super 1050 is a steal. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk