Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whidden Gun Works or Forster Dies for PRS loading?

sasquatch981

I guess if I put this in the right forum I might get more answers  😆

So I have been lurking around the Whidden site, and am intrigued about the click adjustable dies.  However, I had been using Forster dies for my 6.5x47 Lapua.  I use the dillons for the .223, and pistol, but want the extra precision of the PRS rifle dies.  Any recommendations, or are the Reddings, or others just as good?  I have a 50% certificate for Redding dies that I could use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had some quality issues with Whidden dies. Was told they were the best, but was not seeing it. Others like them, but only use Forester now. Own quite a few sets including their press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2019 at 7:26 AM, RGA said:

Hi Stuey,

What kind of quality issues did you have?

Thanks.

I have the same question.

Whidden is in my home state and I'd prefer to give him the business....but only if the quality is up to expectation. 

• 3 months later...

I had a set of Whidden 6.5x47L dies.  They were incredible.  The gun was an absolute laser.  The ammo I built with those dies was awesome.  I sold the rifle and the dies went as well.  I'm bummed to hear that they're having some QC issues.  

I run Redding dies for my .223 FT/R rifle and am very happy with them. (I know they weren't an option).  Midrange.  Got me to Marksman first season.  I didn't shoot last year as I'm concentrating on pistol right now for a variety of reasons.  But the dies worked well for me.  

Everything rifle is loaded on a Forster CoAx.  

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

whidden made me a trim die for 6mm creedmoor (Dillon does not offer it) that I use on my Dillon 650 with a RT1200. It works great and I can trim cases quickly and accurately. It makes the trimming/loading process enjoyable. Reloads with 108 grain Hornady ELD bullets practically go through one hole at 100 yards out of my RPR. So far reloads are accurate to 1300 yards. I use Hornady match grade dies.

Edited by verla
additional infro

• 1 month later...

I have had a different experience than some of the others.  I have two sets of Whidden dies, one was custom for 6.5 Addiction and the other is for 6.5 Creedmoor, both are outstanding.  My experience with Forster has been just the opposite.  I had a set of 6x223 dies that kept cracking seating stems, Forester's answer was to say don't use compressed loads.  Using Whidden or Redding, I haven't had a problem, and have found that slightly compressed loads have usually been the best shooting loads.  I will happy buy another Whidden or Redding set (in that order), but I won't buy another Forster.

The Redding Dies are by far the best. The bushing dies are very useful when wanting to adjust neck tension, and their quality is amazing. You really can't go wrong with the Competition 3 Die set but the price is high for some. The key is having the ability to make several separate adjustments. For example, maybe just a shoulder bump is best and then next size only. Maybe you will eventually want to turn your necks? How about full length sizing which is popular in the PRS and NRL match shooters. Having the options is best because then you can go as deep into the reloading rabbit hole that you want. 

I personally use the Reddings and am amazed at their accuracy and quality. I am shooting 6.5 Creedmoor and using those with a Forster Co-Ax press and measuring to the nearest kernel of H4350, my number are very low. MOA much less than .5 MOA. 

I’ve used Forster for years!  I have them in 223, 308, and 30-06. 

I had problems with my 30-06 die and my M1 didn’t like how the sizer die was sizing them. I called Forster up and sent them a couple 30-06 cases that the gun liked and they took a couple thou off the die so it would sit lower.  Great customer service. 

Now with my 308.  That seating die is so incredibly consistent! That rifle is a tack driver and having a die that consistently seats is a plus!  Never put a concentricity gauge on it so dunno how the run-out is but I’m never going to shoot extreme long range.  

Edited by Atlasguy321

• 2 months later...