Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying a used STI?

rlyons124

Possibly looking to get into a 2011.  Found a used STI Tactical 5.0 9mm in a local gun shop.  It looks to be in good shape, operates smooth, trigger feels good.  Barrel looks good to the naked eye buy I'm not a gun smith.  Price is 1500 out the door with two STI mags.  Seams like a good price but they have no history on it, no known round count, no reason why it was traded in.....  What is your opinion with buy a used STI with no history?  Didn't ask if I could shoot it or ask about what happens if the gun doesn't run right the day I buy it.  If I go in there with cash in had I think he will be more open to those questions, possibly.  A used STI worries me that I am buying someone else problem child but it does seam like a good deal.  Let me her your thoughts.  

STI actually has a pretty solid warranty even if you’re not the original owner. I see what you mean about not getting a problematic gun but even a brand new 2011 may fit this category. The good news is that often minor tweaking/tuning can resolve issues. I’ve had to go through both of my edges and a costa that had to be sent back to STI.  Only one of those three was new when I bought it. Weigh the cost savings against potential headaches of used but know that even new STI’s get sent back for issues from time to time.

A used factory STI is still an STI under warranty. I don't think you'll go wrong.

If you have a buddy with some know how, you could have them look to see if it has been modified or "customized" in any way that could be an issue. Or post pictures here and people could weigh in on possible issues. 

I recommend reviewing how to properly check the safety function of a 2011, and maybe a firing pin function test. I've never been in a gun shop that wouldn't let me at least do safety function check and a bore light/pencil test on used guns when I asked.

with a used gun, i'd try to see if they'll let you shoot it and bring it back same/next day if it's not working properly.  sti should take care of it if it's not working properly, but why deal with that hassle if you don't have to.

20 minutes ago, davsco said:

with a used gun, i'd try to see if they'll let you shoot it  

That's one of the big advantages of buying a used gun - you can try it out first.

Check for functioning (with factory ammo, or they'll blame it on Your Reloads)

and accuracy - try a solid platform at 15-20 yards.

Good luck with it.    :)  

Awesome advice guys, I'll look up some articles on safety/firing pin function test.  This week I'll go down with some cash and lean on them to let me test fire it that day.  Are there any specifics issues you would look out for on a STI when inspecting on the bench or test firing?  Thanks again.  

load up both mags with a variety of ammo and see how they/the gun works, reliability and accuracy-wise.  you want frame etc to all be tight.

have them (or you) disassemble it before you buy/try it and just look over everything, make sure none of the internals are scratched up or damaged.  i think (need to look) they serial # the slide and barrel, make sure they match the frame.

safety check is pretty easy.  empty of course, cock it and keeping your hands off the beavertail (back of grip) try to pull the trigger, the hammer should not fall.  cock it, click the safety on, hold the gun like you are shooting it (hand depressing the beavertail), again hammer shouldn't drop.

i have these in 4", both lite and regular, both are nice guns (as are the rest of my sti posse), good luck!

Check barrel fit and slide to frame fit. I wouldn’t want to buy a used one out of a gun shop unless you can shoot it. Second hand from a competitive shooter is a little different. Buying from classifieds on here is a little different. I’ve had great success because most are shooters and have gear that runs and works.

Awesome info guys, thanks. I’ve been checking out the classifieds here but you have to be quick. The good deals don’t seam to even last a day before their gone. I’d defiantly rather buy from here or a local competitor.  Thanks again for the advice. I’ll give it a once over, hopefully she’s a shooter. 

Something you may have already thought of but just want to make sure. If you are using it for USPSA you will be limited to minor pf shooting with a 9mm. An STI is best suited for limited division in which case a .40 maybe better for you so you have the option of shooting major pf and can always download pf for minor if you desire. I have seen a couple of really good deals on STI Edges in this forums classifieds recently,maybe check them out. They have been .40 caliber

Often a used STI will have upgraded parts and have all the kinks worked out. I have bought many used STI and have not had any issues. In fact now that I think of it I have never bought a new STI period. Some good deals are to be had this time of year but you must jump fast. 

Matt 

Edited by Posvar

I will agree I have bought 3 STI’s all used and from  competitive shooters and all 3 run great. I have found its better to buy used and tuned because all the potential hard work has been done. Thank goodness for honest people and great guns.

7 hours ago, cconnection said:

My memory says the Tactical does not have an adjustable rear sight?  If you plan to compete, this is very important. 

I prefer fixed sights.  No chance of them shifting or breaking. 

BTW, I've had 2 adjustable sights (came on factory CZ TSO .40) break on me and had the nut that captures the left/right adjustment screw on the kensight/bomar type sight fall off during a major match, resulting in the notch part of the sight sliding to the extreme right.  Now I put some locktite on that nut and check before every match.