Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Products to make shoes sticky?

RAINY0DAYS

My Solomon's work great outdoors, but not so great at indoor matches. Any tips or products you guys use to make your shoes tacky? There's usually a wet rag we can step on that helps for about 30 seconds, but it's not that great of a solution.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Zap the soles of your shoes with some cheap hair spray.  I get a can at the local grocery store that will last most of the season.  Adds a bit of grip on concrete floors.
How long does it last? Do you spray your shoes before every run?

+1 on changing your shoes. Nothing says you have to wear your “shooting shoes” to shoot, especially if they’re not ideal for the situation. I wear my everyday Onitsuka Tiger shoes for indoor matches and have never had an issue on concrete floors. 

11 hours ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

How long does it last? Do you spray your shoes before every run?

I'm not sure how long it will last.  I just give the ball of each foot a quick spray before each run.

For indoor matches I wear shoes that have a much less aggressive tread.  Something like deck shoes is ideal.

The only negative so far is if the range is really dusty, the dust will stick to the shoes and needs to be hosed off before I go into the house.

Change your shoes. Solomon’s are terrible indoors. If you still need more grip. There used to be these clipboard type things with tear offs we used for basketball. You scuffed the bottom of your shoe on them a few times to get them good and grippy. Then it had tear offs as they wore.

Change your shoes. Solomon’s are terrible indoors. If you still need more grip. There used to be these clipboard type things with tear offs we used for basketball. You scuffed the bottom of your shoe on them a few times to get them good and grippy. Then it had tear offs as they wore.
I don't use Solomon's indoors, poor choice of wording on my part.

I'm pretty sure the reason it's so slick is because of dust, so not sure scuffing up shoes would work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 12:43 AM, APL-G35 said:

I wear my Solomon's indoors and I have no issues with them at all and they seem to grip really well for me.  They are pretty new and possibly the performance will degrade over time.  

I had been wearing sneakers indoors for years. The bottoms on my last pair were wearing down smooth and became slippery on our concrete floor.

I tried my Adidas trail running shoes before I ordered another pair of sneakers. They work better indoors than the sneakers did. No slipping at all.

I use standard running shoes and modify them to suit.  At our old indoor range the owner mixed a tube of play sand per bucket of paint, so with the floor already rough, I just hit my soles with a wirebrush every month or so to raise small cuts/ridges in the sole.  Not enough to wear them, just a little extra grab.

Now I shoot at 2 different indoor ranges, one smooth old concrete, one smooth NEW concrete. I now use T-rex Duct tape.  I use a strip about 3/4 of the length of my sole, cut in half.  Just stick it on smooth side down and walk on it for a while.  The backer wears off and you constantly have 4 strips of stickey goo running the length of the shoe (the outside edges of the tape).  For extra grip, plant the ball of your foot and do the twist for a couple of rounds...  Replace the tape every couple of weeks.  After doing this a few times, you build up a residue on your shoes that is still stickey even if you walk through dust or sand...

Edited by barrysuperhawk

On 12/1/2018 at 11:51 PM, RAINY0DAYS said:

My Solomon's work great outdoors, but not so great at indoor matches. Any tips or products you guys use to make your shoes tacky? There's usually a wet rag we can step on that helps for about 30 seconds, but it's not that great of a solution.

Those shoes are not for cement. Change your shoes to basketball sneakers or something

Indoors I like indoor soccer shoes and I also like to spray hair spray on the bottom of my shoes before each run.

Any indoor court sport shoe would be better than a trail running shoe like Salomons. I've fallen a couple times indoors by not wearing better shoes and not appreciating how slippery the floor could actually be.

I've worn converse or vans rather than my normal outdoor shoes. But I also stand by the hairspray trick, coat the bottom of my shoes with Aquanet while in the hole. I also bet the very tacky grip sprays would work as well. You obviously wear it off in the course of just one run, but it does help.

Edited by rowdyb

Tried the Speed cross 4's and hated them outside as well as inside...  moved over to this:

https://tacticalgear.com/salomon-speed-assault-black-black-magnet?dl=b&gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAqEiwA4NTO6yr-IzwbcVf23oTLYEsZKP5nGKrTDKK9sDJnPeLbLu5QCbJtT5r9lRoCLj4QAvD_BwE

sole compound is vastly different than the Speed cross, I have zero issues on concrete or any other slippery/ wet surface.. 

2 hours ago, 2011BLDR said:

Tried the Speed cross 4's and hated them outside as well as inside...  moved over to this:

https://tacticalgear.com/salomon-speed-assault-black-black-magnet?dl=b&gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAqEiwA4NTO6yr-IzwbcVf23oTLYEsZKP5nGKrTDKK9sDJnPeLbLu5QCbJtT5r9lRoCLj4QAvD_BwE

sole compound is vastly different than the Speed cross, I have zero issues on concrete or any other slippery/ wet surface.. 

Interesting, I will have to check those out. Thanks for sharing!