Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Venom Customs!?

IDAHOAASHOOTER

I have been talking with I believe his name is Don, seems very nice and down to earth. Quick turnaround times and he builds some cool s#!t. Has anyone dealt with him on warranty work, or just with him on his build process? Guns run out of the box without issues? It's not that I don't trust what the gentelmen is telling me, I'd just like to hear some feedback if possible before spending that kind of coin!

Thanks gents

Ben 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive owned one of his guns. Ran out the box, and id buy another in a heartbeat. hes a member on here and there are many other buyers who are members here as well. Never heard a bad thing about his guns. Gooldy took 10th at open nationals with one of his guns.

Don builds amazing guns. They just flat out run. If you have any issues (you most likely won't) he is just a text or a call away and he will be happy to get you squared away.

As my (only) example, I was practicing one day and all the sudden my gun just locked up. Took it apart and the first lug of my barrel chipped. Like right on the hood. I called and left him a voicemail, then took a few pictures and texted them to him. While I was waiting I cleaned my gun up to get a good look at if there was any other damage, whi h there wasn't.

He called me back and asked a few questions about the slide, the barrel, and what it did when it locked up. Then he said yep, that randomly happens sometimes. Seen it with every brand of barrel, no rhyme or reason to why. It will probably keep running like nothing ever happened if the slide looks fine (it did), but if not we will get a new barrel put in it right away. Test fire it and see what happens.

Trusted him and tried it, and it has been that way for about 4k now, without a single malfunction since. Gun has probably 18k on it this season.

10th at Nats. And it certainly wasn't the gun that kept me from being higher.

Edit: and if you are wondering if his cerakote is high enough quality to hold up to hard use, here is a picture of my gun after a year of not-so-gentle use by me. Only wear is the bottom of the frame where it rides on the holster and the trigger guard.14e37c15a8a9eb9e7437f4486b0a834c.jpgfd98a9fad24f0c8bc7a2cc3018117fba.jpg

15 minutes ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Thanks for all the feedback fellas! I didn't have much holding me back and now I certainly don't. I have a 6" EMG limited I'm gonna find a new home for. I just sold my DVC open a few days ago so I will be shooting one if his guns very soon! 

That's what we like to hear!

20621915_10159047285315459_1063960886414559217_n.thumb.jpg.9fc169cfceff28c89ac4e6f888ed41e0.jpg

This is one of the family photos I have from Don. A few of these have been adopted out to other members of the enos universe.

I first started to build with Don back in late 2014 when others in my area pointed me in his direction when I wanted to build a custom 2011.

My first experience with Don was dropping off a box of parts on a Friday and having a completed gun that was cerakoted and test fired by Sunday afternoon. At the time, every major builder was north of 6 month wait time (even if I supplied the parts). I was blown away by how fast he was able to work and the true custom design he came up with.

Overtime I have built many guns with him (Close to 15ish now). Many of my open guns have seen over 50K+ in a year. They always ran extremely well and continue to do so.

Im in the processing of getting parts together to build another 2 open guns in the off season with him. Overtime Don has become much more than my builder, he is a close friend. I was sad to see him move to Nashville but knew it would allow him to go full time gunsmith like he always dreamed of. Im a bit Bias, Clearly, but you won’t find anyone out there that cares as much as Don does and is as reasonable priced.

Edited by Maximis228

Don's guns are top notch in every respect. Aside from his guns running from day one, his turn around time is scary fast and he's a great guy. Put it this way, I have had guns built from multiple big name 'smiths that cost significantly more and took 8+ months to receive...sold them all once I found Don.

Edited by accu9
Broken picture link.

Big question of the day....
Why is 9 major so common now? Just the headache of chasing brass? I hated always trying to find every possible piece of brass with 38SC. I've heard the 9 major guns are harsher to shoot? Anyone confirm or deny?
Brass is the big reason

Super gives some slight advantages with loading options but for most not enough to overcome free or cheep brass.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Big question of the day....

Why is 9 major so common now? Just the headache of chasing brass? I hated always trying to find every possible piece of brass with 38SC. I've heard the 9 major guns are harsher to shoot? Anyone confirm or deny?

The only thing a 9 major gun has over a 38sc is the brass aspect,  the 38sc round is better at EVERYTHING else,  and anyone that wants to convince themselves different of this fact is just lying to themselves.  A 38sc has more options to create a load, is softer shooting flatter shooting and more reliable as a whole.  So bring on all the"not my gun" stuff but it's just noise.  If you have committed to 38 you have the reality that you either pick up every piece of brass you can or the cost of not picking is outrageous.  When I shot 9mm minor I still picked up brass, mine and anyone else that didn't,  it's just free money on the ground so picking up 38sc isn't a new thing for me. 

1 hour ago, Acsr said:

The only thing a 9 major gun has over a 38sc is the brass aspect,  the 38sc round is better at EVERYTHING else,  and anyone that wants to convince themselves different of this fact is just lying to themselves.  A 38sc has more options to create a load, is softer shooting flatter shooting and more reliable as a whole.  So bring on all the"not my gun" stuff but it's just noise.  If you have committed to 38 you have the reality that you either pick up every piece of brass you can or the cost of not picking is outrageous.  When I shot 9mm minor I still picked up brass, mine and anyone else that didn't,  it's just free money on the ground so picking up 38sc isn't a new thing for me. 

While I'm new to open and only have a 9 major gun, I have to agree with this. I can't coment on the .38 SC being softer but the cost of 9 major is why I chose it over SC. If the price would have been equal I would have gone with SC. I'd guess everyone else would as well. 

I don't pick up brass. When I'm done with a match, I'm ready to leave not stick around for another hour. In between shooters during the match, I'm either getting ready to shoot or loading mags or helping so, I don't want to be hunting for brass. 

Edited by B_RAD

I've shot both, and this just isn't true.

A 38 can be easier to get to run well. Both can be 100% reliable... as evidenced by the tons of people shooting reliable 9s.

A 38 could theoretically be flatter I suppose, but when we are shooting guns that are as flat as we are it just isn't the case. My gun is as flat as anything I've ever shot, whether 38 or 9mm.

There isn't a difference in softness, at least one that is perceptibly significant. Especially on the clock.

Brass presents a significant cost difference in favor of 9mm. I used new brass for my majors this year, which was the first time I've ever bought a single piece of brass. You can buy 9mm much cheaper and still shoot it until it cracks, or not feel bad at all to just walk away from it.

The difference is that in general, people use slower powder with 38 so they think it feels better than 9mm. If they actually would use slow powders (HS6 or slower, IMO) in 9mm they would understand the reason 38s feel better.

Shoot 115s with slow powder. Be happy.