Venom Customs!?

IDAHOAASHOOTER

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Fo0 said:

How does 38 super compare to 38 super comp vs 9mm

Super and Super Comp only difference is SC is rimless Super is semi rimmed. SC affords more room in mags and reportedly extracts more reliably.

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Super and Super Comp only difference is SC is rimless Super is semi rimmed. SC affords more room in mags and reportedly extracts more reliably.

I've always heard that SC FEEDS more reliably...no semi rim to hang up on in the mag. 

Your Just making my point even more, I simply stated that the only advantage to 9 is brass cost or lack there of, you can tell yourself all you want that 9mm is just as good as 38 but there really is no need to justify why you run what you run and others choose a different caliber, I accept the cost of brass in exchange for a softer flatter more reliable round. If 9 was superior I'm certain that all the "pro"shooters would be shooting it, and in reality the majority of them run a better round for shooting a race gun, cause the cost for them is zero or close to nothing so they choose the better more reliable better tracking softer caliber.  So go ahead and make a list of 9 major shooters and check that list with the 38 guys and see how it stacks up.  Be happy with what you shoot and accept its short comings regardless of what they may be. 

Your Just making my point even more, I simply stated that the only advantage to 9 is brass cost or lack there of, you can tell yourself all you want that 9mm is just as good as 38 but there really is no need to justify why you run what you run and others choose a different caliber, I accept the cost of brass in exchange for a softer flatter more reliable round. If 9 was superior I'm certain that all the "pro"shooters would be shooting it, and in reality the majority of them run a better round for shooting a race gun, cause the cost for them is zero or close to nothing so they choose the better more reliable better tracking softer caliber.  So go ahead and make a list of 9 major shooters and check that list with the 38 guys and see how it stacks up.  Be happy with what you shoot and accept its short comings regardless of what they may be. 

It has no shortcomings... that's the point. Go ahead and justify the cost of 38 to yourself if you want to, but it isn't any better. If it were any better at all I would pay the extra money for it, I have no problem doing it for a few extra percent.

But it isn't. So no reason to waste the extra cash.

Goldylocks,,
you shot the Nationals,,
how many shot 9 major 
We will know once they post the results from the nationals equipment survey.. but I'm guessing at least 50%.

Second place and tenth at least were both 9mm. Don't know what everyone else shoots. 1st and 3rd were 38SC I know.

5 hours ago, Acsr said:

So go ahead and make a list of 9 major shooters and check that list with the 38 guys and see how it stacks up.  Be happy with what you shoot and accept its short comings regardless of what they may be. 

What is your classification in Open and where did you finish at Nationals?

We have Ryan @Gooldylocks who finished top 10 at Nationals (after being injured and barely able to practice for it) telling us major 9 is no handicap. With the finishing position to back it up.

I’m curious how your skill level compares.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

12 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What is your classification in Open and where did you finish at Nationals?

We have Ryan @Gooldylocks who finished top 10 at Nationals (after being injured and barely able to practice for it) telling us major 9 is no handicap. With the finishing position to back it up.

I’m curious how your skill level compares.

I didn't shot open nationals, I'm classified as master in open,  I'm certainly glad he has a rahrah section cheering him on,  so he finished 10th, no love for the guys who finished ahead of him who shot 38, funny thing is there is advantages to shooting super and the only down side is the cost of brass, which could be costly if all you did is lost brass matches, but like I stated early accept what you shoot both can work but the only downside to 38 is brass cost if that's a deal breaker shoot 9 simple as that.

there is advantages to shooting super and the only down side is the cost of brass, which could be costly if all you did is lost brass matches, but like I stated early accept what you shoot both can work but the only downside to 38 is brass cost if that's a deal breaker shoot 9 simple as that.

It isn't as simple as that though, that's the point. For someone that doesn't shoot either, and is trying to gather information about which caliber to choose, you make it sound like 38 has all these advantages. It simply doesn't. But it does have one significant issue 9mm doesn't have, that being greatly increased brass cost.

5 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

It isn't as simple as that though, that's the point. For someone that doesn't shoot either, and is trying to gather information about which caliber to choose, you make it sound like 38 has all these advantages. It simply doesn't. But it does have one significant issue 9mm doesn't have, that being greatly increased brass cost.

You mentioned early that 9 major with 115 grn bullets and a slow powder is the way to go. Do you have a specific combo you'd suggest a new shooter start with so I can buy components in bulk? I'm also looking to have Don make my gun.

9 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

A more real advantage to 38 super (or 38SC) is a wider range of powders can be used. So, each has its advantages and disadvantages, 9mj with brass cost being cheaper, and the 38 super and variants having a wider range of powders.

A more real advantage to 38 super (or 38SC) is a wider range of powders can be used. So, each has its advantages and disadvantages, 9mj with brass cost being cheaper, and the 38 super and variants having a wider range of powders.
People say that a lot... What powders are you using that CAN'T be used with 9mm?

3n38? Works with 9.
AA7? Works with 9.
HS-6? Works with 9.
WAC/CFE? Works with 9.
Longshot? Works with 9.

In fact, I have a friend that has loaded all the way to AA9 with 9mm. Not recommended because it's a pain to load, but doable if you are willing to put up with it.

You mentioned early that 9 major with 115 grn bullets and a slow powder is the way to go. Do you have a specific combo you'd suggest a new shooter start with so I can buy components in bulk? I'm also looking to have Don make my gun.

Everglades 115 JHP V2
9.1 Hodgdon HS-6
S&B SPP

About 172 out of my gun. 5" super slow SV barrel with 2 big 3/16" holes.

The only other powder I would probably look at using would be AA7, probably about 10.5 should get you there even with a super slow barrel.

13 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

People say that a lot... What powders are you using that CAN'T be used with 9mm?

3n38? Works with 9.
AA7? Works with 9.
HS-6? Works with 9.
WAC/CFE? Works with 9.
Longshot? Works with 9.

In fact, I have a friend that has loaded all the way to AA9 with 9mm. Not recommended because it's a pain to load, but doable if you are willing to put up with it.

VV N105 is what I use in 38 super. You don't mention 3n37, Lil Gun, WSF, and a host of others that can be used.

VV N105 is what I use in 38 super.
Well that is a great choice, and probably only works for 38 you are correct. But pretty uncommon, in my experience. Way too bulky, like all those VV powders are. I like AA7 since you get the higher charge weights without the bulk.

What is your load? 11.5ish?

26 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Well that is a great choice, and probably only works for 38 you are correct. But pretty uncommon, in my experience. Way too bulky, like all those VV powders are. I like AA7 since you get the higher charge weights without the bulk.

What is your load? 11.5ish?

10.5 with a 115 MG JHP...and, it almost spills out of the case.

16 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Everglades 115 JHP V2
9.1 Hodgdon HS-6
S&B SPP

About 172 out of my gun. 5" super slow SV barrel with 2 big 3/16" holes.

The only other powder I would probably look at using would be AA7, probably about 10.5 should get you there even with a super slow barrel.

Any other cheaper bullet besides everglades? I ask because Everglades is in FL which means I'd have to pay sales tax for any purchase. 

Any other cheaper bullet besides everglades? I ask because Everglades is in FL which means I'd have to pay sales tax for any purchase. 
I like Precision Delta as well, and they are a good price.

Also RMR bullets are a good choice from what I've heard, but I haven't shot them personally.

8 hours ago, StandardError said:

RMR is the way to go currently having a sale on their bullets as well,  best price out there, and a great bullet

2 minutes ago, StandardError said:

I'm still learning but I do realize how fatiguing this debate must be to the more experienced crowd.

A thread about a builder is not a place for that convo. There are literally hundreds of threads about that topic on enos. Go beat the dead horse over there. No one cares anymore.