Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Venom Customs!?

IDAHOAASHOOTER

Ammo is Nashville bound for test fire, super pumped to get this blaster in my hands. I'm getting the infinity mount that's about an inch further back mounts on both sides. Anyone have experience with these? Little anxious never shooting one before how the transition will be. 
They are nice. There is some anecdotal evidence (and my experience would echo it) that they have less flex and therefore less dot "noise" than a one sided option.

The only negatives I can think of with them are that they are farther back which theoretically could increase your chances of ejection issues and that they are expensive. But since it came on the gun you won't notice the cost difference and since Don built it your shouldn't have any ejection troubles. So it is a win on both fronts.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Bullets tested today, they worked! Barrel was reemed a tad bit for my bullets. All mags work perfectly as reported by Don. Should see it Saturday or Monday! 

Nice!  Excited to hear more when you get it.

Got my build details finialized with him yesterday. 

On 12/19/2018 at 1:34 AM, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Ammo is Nashville bound for test fire, super pumped to get this blaster in my hands. I'm getting the infinity mount that's about an inch further back mounts on both sides. Anyone have experience with these? Little anxious never shooting one before how the transition will be. 

I just sent a box full of parts to Don yesterday for a 9 major hybrid barrel build. I’m also switching to double sided mounts  on each of my guns, 1with an infinity and the other with a ipsc Alex Mount. Mainly because of gas from my popples dirtying up my RTS2 fairly quickly on my current main blaster . Crossing my fingers I don’t come up with ejection issues. Very excited to finalize build details and get it back in my hands . His machine work looks incredible. 

5 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Anyone have a phone number for venom? I want to see about having some work done to my open gun

Send me a message on the link Max posted and We can chat about the work you need done. I am happy to speak with you but like to set up a time that works for both of us. That way I’m not always stopping production. 

13 hours ago, Knguyen1904 said:

I just sent a box full of parts to Don yesterday for a 9 major hybrid barrel build. I’m also switching to double sided mounts  on each of my guns, 1with an infinity and the other with a ipsc Alex Mount. Mainly because of gas from my popples dirtying up my RTS2 fairly quickly on my current main blaster . Crossing my fingers I don’t come up with ejection issues. Very excited to finalize build details and get it back in my hands . His machine work looks incredible. 

Recieved them today!! Can’t wait to get started!!!

15 hours ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Bullets tested today, they worked! Barrel was reemed a tad bit for my bullets. All mags work perfectly as reported by Don. Should see it Saturday or Monday! 

Box is dropped off and on it’s way. 

Thank you!! 

I was finally able to put some rounds down range today. I took quite a bit of video I just have to go through and chop it up to it all makes sense call posted to YouTube and post the link here for when I get it done. gun just flat-out shoots had a couple Mo malfunctions when the gun was brand-spanking-new first 10 or 15 rounds once the gun warmed up a little bit it went flawless

1 hour ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Looks super flat. I talked to Don before Christmas about what I want to do to my trubor. He’s got my business for sure. He took like 45 mins to go though everything and answered all my questions. Whenever I have a custom gun built from scratch it’s gonna be from him. Gonna send him my open gun probably this coming week. Super excited. 

So this was at 1430-1460 a few 1470 fliers. So that very high 170's in PF. I'm hoping for 1360-1380 with the 124's with enough gas to work the comp. I have a ladder loaded as follows 

Winchester auto comp 

3N38 

Silhouette 

AA7 I haven't charged any yet I'm still doing some research. 

So 8.8 of 3n38 using a funnel to fill the case is at the very rim, I will see what they produce as far as PF #'s. I'm hopeful the 8.6 makes it, reason being these PD bullets sit in the case like .564 to get me 1.160 oal at 8.6 it's just barely a compressed load. More of a projectile "touching" the charge load. 

So I'm going to find the absolute best 124 then also the best 115 load data. All will be accompanied by some slow motion muzzle tracking zideos. All said and done I will let 3-4 more experienced open guys run a few drills and get their experience on film. 

MORE INFO TO FOLLOW! I shot my tabletop review that I need to add in a few pictures and edit then I will share that in a few days. Got family in town we are busting out the sleds tomorrow to get lost in the Idaho Backcountry! Happy New year's f*#kers....... 

Edited by IDAHOAASHOOTER

11 hours ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

3N38 

So 8.8 of 3n38 using a funnel to fill the case is at the very rim, I will see what they produce as far as PF #'s. I'm hopeful the 8.6 makes it, reason being these PD bullets sit in the case like .564 to get me 1.160 oal at 8.6 it's just barely a compressed load. More of a projectile "touching" the charge load. 

So I'm going to find the absolute best 124 then also the best 115 load data. All will be accompanied by some slow motion muzzle tracking zideos. All said and done I will let 3-4 more experienced open guys run a few drills and get their experience on film. 

An empty & sized 9MM case should hold around 10.2 grains of 3N38 level with the top of case ( or 13.8 grains of AA#7).

I've burned a bunch of 3N38 in 38SC and like it a LOT (slow burning, lots of gas and clean), but there are much better options for 9 major.

AA#7 is even slower than 3N38 (slower=safer pressures, more gas for comp) and isn't compressed even with 10.8 grains under a 115. It meters great and is less expensive. The only downside to AA#7 is that it burns a little dirtier than 3N38. This has never been an issue for me.

Trying to make 3N38 work for me with 9 major, I settled on 8.8 grains 3N38 at 1.130 OAL and MG124JHP's for 170PF. I normally load to 1.165-1.185 with 124's, but reduced the OAL in this load to make PF and have enough bearing surface between bullet & case to better maintain OAL (not fall out of case). Great thing about 3N38 is that it is a very slow and consistent burning powder. Primers looked fine with these short OAL 170 PF loads out of my gun.

The bad thing is that this load is very slow and messy to load and PF went down when the OAL's lengthened over time - caused by powder springing back after being compressed.

I also tried a powder ram to pre-compress the 3N38 before seating bullet... not a good solution with 3N38. The ID of the cases were enlarged slightly by this process and bullets were not held in place as firmly.