Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warming Up

Boudreaux78

So I just returned from the USPSA Handgun Nationals. I made a point of warming up and stretching each morning. A lite jog mixed with a lot of moving stretches really helped. I noticed the biggest difference on the first couple of stages. Every other sport in the world warms up, but all we do is drink a lot of coffee and walk around the stages trying to figure them out. Getting the blood moving in your body helps the mind and the body! 

23 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Not at my age ….    :eatdrink:

The older we get the more important it is to take care of our bodies. When your young, you need less to do more. When your older it takes longer to recover from injuries. Don’t have to run, just get the blood flowing and loosen the joints!

On 08.11.2018 at 03:00, Boudreaux78 said:

Чем старше мы становимся, тем важнее заботиться о наших телах. Когда вы молоды, вам нужно меньше делать больше. Когда вашему старшему требуется больше времени для восстановления после травм. Не нужно бегать, просто кровь течет и ослабляет суставы!

disagree

Anyone dry fire before matches?  I’m not talking about the 30 seconds st the safe table, I mean 15/20 min before heading to the range. I think most people are cleaner on the gun handling after a few min have passed in out dry fire sessions and it warms up our hands and shoulder.  Why not get that out of the way before headed to the range?

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 6:28 PM, hrhawk said:

Anyone dry fire before matches?  I’m not talking about the 30 seconds st the safe table, I mean 15/20 min before heading to the range. I think most people are cleaner on the gun handling after a few min have passed in out dry fire sessions and it warms up our hands and shoulder.  Why not get that out of the way before headed to the range?

I know it's a super late post, but I do this at every major.  I started doing this leading up to my first area match win, as I saw more value in mental and physical prep the day of the match.

At nationals I simply would tape up my hands in the hotel, put my rig on, and dry fire draws, movement, reloads, and more for about 20 minutes.  This made it so that when I warmed up on the practice range I already felt comfortable with the gun.  

Agree with the post. 10 to 20 min dry fire before the match is great. As it's been already said, it gets your blood running and joint loosen up.  We tend to feel this on our hands and arms not as much as we do on our feet or legs.  I have noticed that my trigger control and grip pressure get better after some warm up. Next time get to a range, do a bill drill cold run at 10 yards, dry fire another 15 min and do another and you will see the difference.

Reality is always different. When the match starts at 7:30AM and you have to get up at 6 and dry fire, that's tough for me.

• 5 weeks later...

Good topic...i tend to show up and do a few draws at the safe table...i think this season i will be sure to stretch prior to putting my gear on.  I am no spring chicken and limbering and loosening up can help.  

• 9 months later...

Good read guys!  Before, i never did any stretching and hydration prior the match.  Twice i had pulled calf muscle in 6 months.  Ever since then, ive been stretching everyday and hyrdating 2 days before the match.  So far i haven't have any injury anymore. 

Edited by Joeyxbat
Add more content

On 11/2/2019 at 6:49 PM, 920webb said:

I have to agree . It doesn't hurt to stretch and warm up before a match . But it doesn't mean I always do it . 

yea, but even the smallest amount of jogging or small warm up exercised get the weird looks from everybody else...there is something about the shooting community and their aversion towards physical activity (except when the buzzer goes off!)

I always arrive to local matches very early to help setup. the movement and carrying things tends to help get you moving in the morning, you get to see the stages a bit and it helps out the match. worth every minute. Once I finish setup I will usually put on my gear and Dryfire draws and sight pictures in the safety area. Trying to remind myself that Pushing will not help and that all I need to do is shoot my skill.

Its always the Little things that make a difference.

Dry firing and warming up has been very helpful.  Ask yourself if you are  better at the beginning of a dryfire session, or 20 minutes into a dry fire session. Get the kinks out before you are 2/3 stages deep. 

On 10/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, Joeyxbat said:

Good read guys!  Before, i never did any stretching and hydration prior the match.  Twice i had pulled calf muscle in 6 months.  Ever since then, ive been stretching everyday and hyrdating 2 days before the match.  So far i haven't have any injury anymore. 

I also, as soon as i wake up in the morning of a match, I eat a banana and bring some to help prevent cramps and of course lots of fluids.