Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thoughts on second shot always to the left

jimbullet

I am a right handed shooter. I have recently been experiencing my second shots on an IPSC target landing on the far left. Very consistently the first shot is an Alpha but the second shot is a Delta to the left bottom quadrant around the 8 o'clock mark.

Anyone have some thoughts on this. 

I probably have developed a bad habit somewhere - although I try to repeat in my mind what sight picture I saw and its almost like I would have thought it was spot but obviously not.

Could be a few things. Is this only happening at speed? You could be tensing your whole hand when trying to shoot quickly which causes your shots to he pushed left for righties and right for lefties. I have been guilty of doing exactly this and found it during Vogel's world class pistol course.

The other thing you might be doing is attempting to look over your sights to see the target to look at your hits. This will be prominent when you get close and that is increasingly possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am a right handed shooter. I have recently been experiencing my second shots on an IPSC target landing on the far left. Very consistently the first shot is an Alpha but the second shot is a Delta to the left bottom quadrant around the 8 o'clock mark.

Anyone have some thoughts on this. 

I probably have developed a bad habit somewhere - although I try to repeat in my mind what sight picture I saw and its almost like I would have thought it was spot but obviously not.

you're relaxing your left hand on the second shot. left/right hits are always poor grip and/or too much finger on the trigger

Squeeze the palms together tightly towards the back strap of the grip

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

work on trigger control at speed,my guess is your smashing the trigger with second shot causing the gun to go left and sometimes down a bit to,work on dryfire drills watching the sights as you pull the trigger firmly but not out of control,watch the sights and work on keeping them still

21 minutes ago, jaysrgu said:

work on trigger control at speed,my guess is your smashing the trigger with second shot causing the gun to go left and sometimes down a bit to,work on dryfire drills watching the sights as you pull the trigger firmly but not out of control,watch the sights and work on keeping them still

That would be my guess as well. 

So I did a bit of dryfire and noticeably draw from the holster and pulling the trigger, I see my front sight marginally moving left. 

when shooting strong hand only - it is magnified now with first shot on A zone and the second no where to be seen. 

jim that marginal amount grets to be bigger and bigger with distance,say at 5 yards your 3 inches left but at 10 that would be 6 inches left,try to play withthat alot in dry fire,start slow and keep doing it until the sights dont move,play with grip pressure and finger placement and find what works to keep it solid,then work at improving the speed,it takes time but its defiantely doable

So I did a bit of dryfire and noticeably draw from the holster and pulling the trigger, I see my front sight marginally moving left. 

when shooting strong hand only - it is magnified now with first shot on A zone and the second no where to be seen. 
every one has a natural ability to point at an object with the eyes leading the hands. That weak hand has got to apply maximum grip to the gun. After enough time your draw should bring the sights leveled almost every time without having to do it consciously. However, you will have to train that consciously for 10-14 days. Work at 50% speed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 11/4/2018 at 6:10 AM, Rnlinebacker said:

left/right hits are always poor grip and/or too much finger on the trigger

Not necessarily. Many who shoot Glocks and talk about it here report correcting left shooting by using more finger on the trigger, not less.

OP: When dry firing, see what happens when you loosen your grip. Loosen both hands then right and then left and watch what happens to the sight picture. I can tell you that, for me, when my support hand loosens up, the sights go left (RH shooter).  And your trigger pull should be straight back with no sight movement. Also, is your attention on the A zone when you take the second shot or has your attention shifted? If your attention is not focused on where you want the bullet to go, you will not hit where you want.

Edited by lgh

this one was a strong hand only stage (requiring one foot on a platform behind target) and you can shoot pretty much on the side. I tried to keep shots deliberate here but left most target had an Alpha and a Mike, Second from the left is an Alpha and a Mike, third and fourth target had two Charlies each. - I cant believe I missed them.... I will look at how the sights are when dryfiring next. I wouldnt say I was rushing to the next targets on this stage but still having Mikes - had literally zero'd this stage. Trying to see where I'd go wrong to improve.

To put it simply: AIM YOUR SECOND SHOT AS HARD OR HARDER THAN YOU AIMED YOUR FIRST SHOT. 

There’s no reason not to. It’s worth just as many points, and you already knew you had a problem walking into this match.

I expected some very dilibrate aiming, but instead, you’re ripping off the second round as fast as the M’s on your squad were.

Of course you didn’t hit anything. I see now why you have no clue where the second round is going. Quit firing 2nd round hopers. It’s a fools errand. Get a clean sight picture first.

Edited by MemphisMechanic