Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Regimen- Full Tear Down

Posvar

Hello: I do a light cleaning after I shoot it. Mostly barrel, frame rails and slide. Total tear down after about 15 matches or 6 months. So about 5000-6000 rounds. If the trigger feels different I will pull all that assemble apart and have a look. I would run your pistol and see without cleaning and see when it starts to fail. Then you know when you have to do the cleaning. I can usually go 1000 rounds before a light cleaning. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric. With my hybrid barrel Beastcat it jammed up after 300 rounds but I found it was just the corn cob media from tumbling the JHP after loading. I appreciate the answers and that is what I was thinking.

With my glocks I’d do a complete tear down every 3k or so and clean and inspect. And I field strip and clean, so barrel, chamber, comp, inside of slide, breech face etc after every range session, plus re lube all the spots. Some times I’d shoot it twice before cleaning but I like to clean my guns so I do it often. And they always run great. 

But it I just switched to 2011s, and I don’t know how to detail strip them yet. But I still field strip and clean after every range session. I’ll have to learn how to take these things apart at some point. 

I have 2 open guns,

My "practice gun" is used for practice, dry fire and local matches.  I take off the top end and wipe out / lube every 700-1000 rounds, clean the extractor tunnel every 3000 and do a full tear down twice a year.

My "match gun" only gets used in Lvl 2 and above matches.  It gets cleaned and lubed before each match, extractor tunnel every 1000 rounds and a full tear down twice a year.

Cleaning of slide, frame, barrel and the parts that come off when removing the slide- before every match.  I've leaned that using Weapon Shield for lube (and their cleaner) means I can go a whole 10 stage match with no failures.  It is also way easier to clean.  I strip the entire pistol once or twice a year and anytime something breaks and needs replacing.

After shooting a match I always clean my rifle, pistol and shotgun. With my 2011, I always take the top off and wipe everything down and oil the rails and lug and whatnot. Haven’t done a full breakdown yet because I just switched not long ago from Glock. The video posted above is one I found about a year ago and is BY FAR the best one out there for 2011 maintenance imho. I stripped it down pretty far when I first bought it new with this video just to go through it. Not as hard as one would think just have to take your time, have plenty of light and a decent workspace. Patience is key for me [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several friends that do not know how to do a full tear down of their guns and would think of it as a   professional gunsmith activity. I do it once per year (10,000 rounds + -) but I have no evidence that is has ever been beneficial except as a feel good thing.

Else + - 1000 rounds just for basic top end clean & lube but sometimes just lube at 1000 and clean at 2-3K. 

On my Open gun I will do a full tear down, clean, inspect and relube every 1500 rounds. For my Limited guns I will do the same every 3000 rounds. Between those intervals I will simply add more lube as needed. My Open gun seems to get powder fowled about twice as fast as my Limited guns, thus why I do it twice as often.

Several years ago I decided to see how long one of my Limited guns would go without being cleaned and I went over 15K before I caved in and cleaned it. Through that 15K all I did was add oil to it when it would start to get gummy. It was also functioning reliably through that whole time with no issues. The dirtiest part was the extractor tunnel as it was packed with burnt powder and solid retention of the case wasn't happening any more when you would slowly rack out live rounds. It never had a failure to extract though. 

I have never understood why people do a "Field Strip & Clean" process. If you are going to take the time to disassemble your gun and clean it just do the whole thing. I can usually do a full detail disassemble, inspection, clean, relube and reassemble in less than 30 minutes on any of my 2011's. Doing so allows me to observe how things are wearing more diligently and head off potential issues proactively. Why risk running a gun to failure in a match when it can be avoided with proper maintenance?

7 hours ago, Posvar said:

Thanks Eric. With my hybrid barrel Beastcat it jammed up after 300 rounds but I found it was just the corn cob media from tumbling the JHP after loading. I appreciate the answers and that is what I was thinking.

I am wondering why you tumble your rounds after you load them. Is it to remove the case lube?  I get the lube off of my loaded rounds by shooting them.

Top end every so often... not sure how often, sometimes go 600-800 rounds with no cleaning and no issues. Before major matches - yes.   Between seasons usually go till ejection gets noticeably slow.

The frame... basically not touching it, waiting for it to tell me it wants to be cleaned.  So far I would guess it has at least 30,000 rounds, and still is working as it should.

1 hour ago, corny said:

I am wondering why you tumble your rounds after you load them. Is it to remove the case lube?  I get the lube off of my loaded rounds by shooting them.

I believe that it may be because he labels them. I found that when I use a brass marker with the lube on them, the marking does not adhere that well. Tumbling these rounds dry helps save time and effort as opposed to wiping each one down. 

12 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I believe that it may be because he labels them. I found that when I use a brass marker with the lube on them, the marking does not adhere that well. Tumbling these rounds dry helps save time and effort as opposed to wiping each one down. 

Forgot about marking rounds.  

My guns get field stripped and cleaned after every range visit. Complete strip down and cleaning every 3-4 mo or if I feel anything odd in the lockworks.

Case lube? Never used it on straight wall cases. I use carbide dies.

10 hours ago, echotango said:

I tumble them dry to check for loose primer pockets. 

Two months ago a tumbled round lost its primer in the middle of a long stage.  That was the last straw - no more old brass at matches.