Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How has STI been recently?

CheekyChung

Any reviews on STI this year for reliability and customer service?

I've read things here and there about new management, manufacturing, etc, but still don't see any reviews for any of the new 2018 products; only product 'ads' and short shooting videos.

I plan on shooting their new DVC Limited in .40 for USPSA Major, but I have seen issues with their hard chrome and a badly fitted machine slide for the island barrel, but that was during their last ownership/lineup.

I have 3 

DVC Limited 49

DVC Open 38 Sc

Edge 9mm

all three run flawless on factory ammo and for the most part I run cheep factory ammo with exception of my open gun which I run Atlanta Arms the 40 and 9 run 100% with factory new and old mags but don’t like MBX my open likes all mags 

I think it will get better, I personally know one of the people/managers they hired to bring back the standards of manufacturing/QC and he has a lot of experience in not just the gun industry, but the custom 1911 world.  

Does sti Know what qc or cs stands for? 

No longer a fan after many many of them. 

Go with a CK less aggravating and they know what qc and cs is.

Edited by jcc7x7

I've had nothing but good experiences with them. My DVC Limited 9mm (2017) model has run flawlessly, and hasn't shown any issues with quality of parts, fit and finish, excessive wear, etc. I also got to talk shop with one of their guys at NRAAM in Dallas and he gave me his card to contact him with any issues I may have in the future, and about getting in line with their custom shop to get my DVC the black coating they now offer. I've already emailed back and forth with him several times about the re-coating, and he has been very responsive. I asked him about the new management and he seemed very adamant about their renewed focus on quality and customer service. While they may not be at the same level as CK or another builder, I've loved my DVC and plan to stick with it for a while until I can save up for a more custom build. 

I've been satisfied so far, my DVC 3 Gun looks great when I took it apart.  I misplaced the case and emailed CS, they sent me a older style hard case, free of charge.  I have been able to speak to a rep every time I've called.  I also like the fact that I'm only a 3 hour drive to them, in case I need something major.  

Does sti Know what qc or cs stands for? 
No longer a fan after many many of them. 
Go with a CK less aggravating and they know what qc and cs is.

This. Have six STIs, but after recent bad experiences with a DVC Open I've since gotten 2x CKs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Other than the fact they dont make any 1911s anymore past the DVC Classic. I feel they are quickly getting away from the competition market with guns like the cost carry comp and whatnot. Personal opinion though. 

I've called in a few times over the last month for questions about this or that and they always answer the phone. Which has been a step up from last year when I had issues with my DVC Classic

1 hour ago, Dutchman195 said:

Other than the fact they dont make any 1911s anymore past the DVC Classic. I feel they are quickly getting away from the competition market with guns like the cost carry comp and whatnot. Personal opinion though. 

I've called in a few times over the last month for questions about this or that and they always answer the phone. Which has been a step up from last year when I had issues with my DVC Classic

Probably realized they can sell more guns to concealed carry/defensive shooting crowd. Competitive shooters are a small niche market. 

FWIW.

The tactical community does have deeper pockets. but I feel they are getting away from their own niche market. This drives people to purchase their competition guns from other builders. Or be like me and pay out the waazoo for a BNIB Trojan.

Also, still having issues with my DVC, I called in the other day and was just asking about the weight limit on the gun. STI offered that they will 'warranty' the gun and cut metal out of the gun in order for the gun to make Classic/SS division weight. Which is a nice. Still kind of messed up that they produced and advertised a gun that was legal and actually wasn't.

Defenitely not the sti I’m used to from 4-5 years ago. A lot has happened since then and their quality and fit and finished have deteriorated a lot. Hopefully the new mgt gets sti back on track.....

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:39 AM, Wisemenofgotham said:

It sure looks like they are moving towards the "tactical" community, with models like the DVC Omni and Tactical.  

I don't know what category the Omni fits in. I haven't shot it yet, but an island/comp'd 2011 looks like a fun range toy, but not something that you could carry, compete, or do anything outside play with. 

I classify it as a range toy, but I can imagine someone carrying it with a RMR.  “Operators” are walking around with $2.5k+ Agency or Salient Glock builds as an EDC.  I was originally looking to buy the DVC Tactical for the threaded barrel, but the STI rep convinced me to pick up the DVC 3 Gun (I’m new to shooting sports).  

I wouldn’t mind an OMNI in the future but my noob eyes have been opened to the wonders of Atlas/Akai/SVI.  Lots of quality companies can mill the RMR.

Edited by Wisemenofgotham

3 hours ago, Wisemenofgotham said:

I classify it as a range toy, but I can imagine someone carrying it with a RMR.  “Operators” are walking around with $2.5k+ Agency or Salient Glock builds as an EDC. 

It's going to be an incredibly heavy "carry gun".  I have a 4" Tactical that is sniffing 40 oz before you cram 20 rounds of 9mm in it... Add a sight tracker barrel, a comp and a red dot... you are probably pushing 50oz?? 

Edited by tha1000

Forgot about that part haha, but you’re right.  My old EDC was a compensated P226 Tacops 9mm, AIWB, with a ROMEO1 and X300U-B, I bet it was up there in weight.  Some guys are carrying Shadow 2s with X300U weapon lights.  

Back to the topic, My DVC 3 Gun has been 100% reliable for me so far.  I look forward to running it hard in some events soon.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 4 STI all my guns runs like a champ and when I have had to deal with customer service recently they have been outstanding just my 2 cents love STI but don’t k ow how they were in the past 

Their customer service response is great. Not sure what it'd be like for turn around time. 

The gun itself is great so far. I've ran about 1000 rounds through it so far and a couple matches.

0 ammo issues with factory ammo. Winchester White Box and Federal Champion

0 magazine issues with the new style factory mags.

Only problems I'm running into is with my small hands. I just  need to get a a short trigger and extended magazine release.

I'm glad I went with STI.

Pictures and shooting videos are on my instagram. https://www.instagram.com/cheekychung/

Edited by CheekyChung

I purchased a DVC Carry at the first of the year and when it arrived I discovered the front night site was dead.  Bad lamp from Trijicon, not STI's fault, but how do you let that out of your shop without a visual check first?  I called and addressed the issue with them and the CS was decent.  I mailed in the slide, had to call and follow up because it took so long, then learned they'd done the replacement but it had been sitting on the shelf to go out for two weeks.  

The pistol itself is now flawless and shoots lights out.  I really like the DLC finish which is wearing very well.