Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salomon Speedcross life? How much wear?

CTJer

The soles are a soft compound and wear quickly.  I try to reserve mine for match use or trail use (I prefer them to hiking boots now).  I get about two years out of them this way and then retire them to regular shoe status and get new Speedcrosses for match use.They are still OK after some wear but if it is the muddy season you want the newer tread.

Edited by 12glocks

I just purchased a new pair  yesterday and I bought my last pair probably 18 months ago.  I only wear them at matches, so probably a total of 30 days per year.  It's not great, but as comfortable and functional as they are, I really don't mind spending a little extra for them compared to cheaper shoes.  If there's an area to cut money, I don't think shoes is one of them.

I was looking at the Salomon Speedcross last time I needed everyday shoes but ended up with Ultra X. I wear them all the time.......the guy helping me said the speedcross would wear out in no time. I like the Ultra X now that they loosened up a bit but I can see the benefit of having extra traction. Perhaps a dedicate pair of shooting shoes is in my future.

I have a pair, very comfortable, but felt I didn’t get the life out of them for the cost.  

I was wondering if I got a dud pair.  

Just ordered the Boombah’s this morning. I figured for the price, they were worth a shot.  

I didn't follow the direction posted above about using them only for matches.. 6 months lol.

my Forces are going on a year or more, longest lasting everyday shoes ive had.

19 hours ago, dkamps said:

I didn't follow the direction posted above about using them only for matches.. 6 months lol.

my Forces are going on a year or more, longest lasting everyday shoes ive had.

What are these Forces you speak of?

17 minutes ago, CTJer said:

What are these Forces you speak of?

Solomon XA 3d Forces, I have the older ones and they are great. Low non gortex for summer, mid top gtx for winter.

I wear the low cut ones pretty much year round, I'm about 13 months in and the tread is finally wearing down, and my wide feet didn't blow them out in a few months (like most shoes).

I can highly recommend.

13 minutes ago, dkamps said:

Solomon XA 3d Forces, I have the older ones and they are great. Low non gortex for summer, mid top gtx for winter.

I wear the low cut ones pretty much year round, I'm about 13 months in and the tread is finally wearing down, and my wide feet didn't blow them out in a few months (like most shoes).

I can highly recommend.

Sounds good.  I’m in need of a good pair of shoes.  

• 2 weeks later...

I spend at least $150 in GAS alone every month driving to local matches and practice. Fretting over how long the Salomon shoes last isn't even on my radar from a shooting/guns/gear expense perspective. When they wear out, they go in the dumpster and another pair goes on my feet. That being said, a pair of Salomon shoes usually lasts me a season before I pitch them. I also don't wait until the soles are worn down excessively either. If the traction lugs start to wear I pitch them. Fresh shoes that work effectively, like the Solomon's, are CHEAP insurance in the big picture.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Regarding the wear life of the tread, and when they should be replaced, my buddy told me something about dirtbike motocross tires.  He said when the square-shaped lugs on the tire have their edges rounded to the point you can see they aren't sharp, racers will throw the tires out and put new ones one.  The lug is still like 99% there, but that 1% edge wear is enough to ruin the traction and justify new tires.