Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loads for a PCC - specific questions

mstamper

I am getting a Dillon 650 press and I have a few questions to all the PCC shooters who shoot 124 grn, and reload.... what brand of bullet, powder, and primer are you using for your loads? Also, are you buying primers and powder locally (ATLANTA AREA)  or ordering online? IF locally (ATLANTA AREA), where? and what are you paying for powder and primers?

Before everyone says this has been talked to death or I should do a search on this topic.... I have been reading everything on here in PCC and the Reloading sections.... everyone is loading a different weight bullet and using a different powder and using a different primer... to much confusion to try to see a consensus of opinion for what I am wanting to shoot. 

I already have my PCC tuned for 124 gr Freedom munitions rounds at 1060fps (as listed on the web) and I do not want to go and do a ton of reworking of springs and such for a new bullet weight.

These days I rarely buy primers locally and I NEVER buy powder locally. I plan to load XTREME 124’s with HP38 because I have a bunch of both and don’t plan to shoot enough PCC to make it worth trying 20 different combos like I did for my Open guns. Probably CCI SPP.

I am getting a Dillon 650 press and I have a few questions to all the PCC shooters who shoot 124 grn, and reload.... what brand of bullet, powder, and primer are you using for your loads? Also, are you buying primers and powder locally (ATLANTA AREA)  or ordering online? IF locally (ATLANTA AREA), where? and what are you paying for powder and primers?

Before everyone says this has been talked to death or I should do a search on this topic.... I have been reading everything on here in PCC and the Reloading sections.... everyone is loading a different weight bullet and using a different powder and using a different primer... to much confusion to try to see a consensus of opinion for what I am wanting to shoot. 

I already have my PCC tuned for 124 gr Freedom munitions rounds at 1060fps (as listed on the web) and I do not want to go and do a ton of reworking of springs and such for a new bullet weight.

My load is 124 Xtreem 4.2 gr 231 Win primers. 1090 from Glock 34. Probably a little lower in a shorter 5 in bbl and higher in a 16 in PPC. Shoots great groups out of my PPC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO it doesn't matter which primer you select (unless your gun will not set

off Russian primers), and I'd stick with any jacketed124 gr bullet (they're all

good).

Get them all delivered to your house for less than retail - saves LOTS of $$$$

if you buy them in bulk - if you can, share a larger order with some local

shooters :)  

124 Bbi's, n320 powder cci 500 primers. 1.125 oal. Powder charge will vary depending on your barrel length. I use this combo because I prefer to spend time shooting instead of cleaning. You won't find a cleaner combo. 

On 4/23/2018 at 4:34 PM, mstamper said:

Reloading by consensus is a poor way of doing it.  Find what works best for YOU.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:01 AM, ExStreetWalker said:

Reloading by consensus is a poor way of doing it.  Find what works best for YOU.

Having never done this before, I like to learn from others and then make a decision. It saves a lot of expense when entering any expensive hobby. Learning from other hobbyists is what makes it a great community.

My PCC load is:

124 grain RN from RMR

3.2 grains of N320

WW case

CCI SPP

OAL is 1.150 inches.

This load makes 128 PF on a cool day, and has a soft recoil with very good accuracy.

With my PCC (16" Nordic barrel) I'm currently using:

125gr TC Blue Bullets

Winchester SPP (I have also used Federal #100 SPP and didn't notice any difference)

3.2gr Titegroup

Mixed brass

1.08" OAL

138 PF

I had originally tried my pistol load, which is the same as the above but 3.6 gr of Titegroup.  It was 149 PF and caused a LOT of lead buildup in my comp.  At 3.2 gr it's not completely gone, but it's much better.

I'm thinking of trying some of those RMR 124gr TCFP Matchwinners.  They look like they have an exposed lead base, so I'm a little worried that the leading will still be there if I have to bump up the powder charge because of the jacket.  Has anyone tried their JHP vs the TCFP?  The JHP's are totally jacketed like Montana Golds.

PCC   

124 Everglades RN plated bullets

Winchester SPP 

4.0 WSF

mixed brass

1.16 OAL   

130 PF 

Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer w/carbine spring   -- very soft & very accurate 

Bayou Bullet 105 grain 9mm. 3.3 N310. Sweet (3 round groups under 1.5 inch, 25 yard bench with 6 MOA reflex dot), and not much more recoil than my Ruger 10/22. Also, very clean burning... important in a blow back action.

On 5/9/2018 at 1:49 PM, JAFO said:

I'm thinking of trying some of those RMR 124gr TCFP Matchwinners.  They look like they have an exposed lead base, so I'm a little worried that the leading will still be there if I have to bump up the powder charge because of the jacket.  Has anyone tried their JHP vs the TCFP?  The JHP's are totally jacketed like Montana Golds.

I had a lot of feeding issues with the 124gr Matchwinners in my PCC.  I added the Taccom feed ramp and it was better, but still happened at least once per mag.  I switched back to RMR 124gr RN FMJ's and haven't had any issues sense then.  I have a few thousand of the Matchwinners left, but they feed in my STI and Glocks just fine.

My PCC load is as follows:

RMR 124gr RN FMJ

3.2gr Titegroup

Federal SPP

1.150 OAL

Mixed brass 

• 2 weeks later...

here is what I have settled on;

125gr blue bullets

4.1 gr W231 

CCI 550 primers

1.135 OAL

I started with what the guy I got the 650 from had the powder measure set up (4.6 gr of 231) loaded and shot about 100 rounds of that setup. Too much muzzle flip and a harsh felt recoil. I backed the powder off to 4.3 grains and it was better but still some extra recoil I did not like. I backed it down again to 4.1 and that has worked great. Feels awesome, no feed issues and is grouping the same as my factory loads I was using from freedom munitions.

I have not been able to chrono the load as I don't have a chrono and not been able to get with any of my shooting buddies who do have one to find out what the load PF is.