Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01 TACTICAL

thebigbeardedchef

Totally agree.

By the time you add Dawson sights, Cajun SRS, and an extra mag, extended mag release, you are about $20 away from just getting the Shadow.

The numbers are better still if you want extended safeties, care about having the shortest reset possible, or feel the Shadow hammer is "good enough" but the stock SP01 hammer is not.

Also a Shadow is simpler than a regular CZ75 to work on whereas a decocker model is more complex.

On the other hand, if the idea of manually dropping the hammer gives you the chills, the tactical could be a great competition platform.

Edited by Tictacticaltimmy

I shot my first 3 years of USPSA with a SP-01 Tactical.  It took me to B-class performance without even doing much practice.  Just a couple new springs, new sights, and new grips was all it took to get it perfectly set up with a 3.8 lbs SA.  It certainly won't hold you back. 

I really liked my tactical. I got it from CGW. absolutely amazing gun. regrettably being a 1911 shooter (now CZ guy ) I kept on de-coking with my thumb while I was shooting a stage. sold it got a CZ custom shadow and never looked back. Absolutely love it

On 2/21/2018 at 8:37 AM, eerw said:

Look at a base SP01 Shadow for $880 and shipping. 

Better sights, controls, has three mags add a couple of Springs.

better value for initial outlay of cash.

This is about the best deal going right now. It puts the shadow into reach for more folks than ever. Leaves room in budget for changes that better suit the individual. By the time you change out the stuff on a standard or tactical SP01, you will be darn close or over that. 

Depends. If you're handy with some tools and don't afraid of anything, you can get a stock SP01, and follow Atlas's trigger job guide. There's still the issues if you don't want to do that work, buy the new higher-quality parts that get you close to Shadow money, I'd really recommend just going with the Shadow and jamming with an awesome gun out of the box. 

I also started with an SP01 Tactical. After replacing the sights and having it tuned for a lighter, smoother trigger, it cost more than a stock shadow. I shot it for a couple years and then upgraded to a SP01 Shadow from CZC with short reset trigger. This trigger was smoother, lighter and shorter reset than my tuned decocker Tactical. IMO, buy once, cry once. A SP01 Shadow will be a great platform to grow with. 

If you're just starting out a factory SP01 won't be your limiting factor for some time. 

If you are exploring other production options the  Canik SFx (little less expensive than SP01)  is almost identical to the Q5.  There's a video in the 'Other..pistols' forum where a Q5 top end is assembled on a Canik lower (and vice versa) and both pistols (Q5 & SFx) function and fire.

Look at a base SP01 Shadow for $880 and shipping. 
Better sights, controls, has three mags add a couple of Springs.

better value for initial outlay of cash.

It’s between that gun and the dog p320x5 right now. I’m glad to know I can get the base shadow still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, 1911vm said:

When my dad was a live he used to say  "We are to poor yo by cheap things"  

Save for what you really want. Plus there are some grate deals in the classified section.  

WTF?  

What are you confused about:unsure:

He wants a custom shadow . But is settling for Tactical. You always end up spending more buying something that's cheaper because you'll do it twice or more. 

And  WTF is not a really polite way to respond to a post never mind a quote  of someone's father that past away.  Makes you sound kind of --------(fill the blank )

Edited by 1911vm

I have been using two CGW SP-01 Tacticals for 4 years now and love them.   My triggers are as smooth as any Shadow (of course they have around 25-30k rounds each).  Couple of advantages to the Tacticals.  Since it is a decocker you get to start with the hammer at half cocked.  This reduces trigger travel by 30% and the weight by ~1lbs when compared to the hammer at fully decocked.  My reset travel is around 3.5mm vs 1mm-3mm on a Shadow.   I do have some take up due to the firing pin block.   Can you tell the difference between a Shadow and SP-01 Tactical standing around dry firing the trigger, yes.  Would you notice the same stuff after the beeper goes off.  Probably not.   I would recommend getting the Tactical now, replace the springs with the lighter ones and start shooting.  Over time you add other components of the CGW Pro package as you can afford them plus CGW are more then willing to help you out as needed.  Plus there are plenty of forums and video to help you tune the pistol.