Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol powder

jeffroberdo

6 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Out of a Shadow 2. 147gr plated RMR rnfp bullet. Mixed range brass. Win spp. 1.100" oal. 3.30gr Sport Pistol. This gives me a very very consistent 131pf and consistent groups.

No bad smell or weird residue after shooting. Gun doesn't get branding iron hot after a lot of shooting. No goofiness at the press.

Only negative is the 8# jugs are big so they took up more space in my powder storage area.

Rowdy, I was thinking about playing around with a 147 plated load. I was just over on the RMR website and I'm not seeing a plated 147 RNFP. I do see a jacketed "147 full metal jacket heavy match winner" FP. Is that what you are shooting?

Thanks.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, ddc said:

Rowdy, I was thinking about playing around with a 147 plated load. I was just over on the RMR website and I'm not seeing a plated 147 RNFP. I do see a jacketed "147 full metal jacket heavy match winner" FP. Is that what you are shooting?

Thanks.

I don't see them having in stock the bullet I'm shooting either. 

2 hours ago, Agent #1911 said:

anyone use this powder with jacketed bullets? I mainly use JHP now so cooler burning is no big deal. 

I'm curious too. I just picked up some 147 jacketed but won't be loading them right away.

image.jpeg

Edited by Dwbsig
Tried some 124 gr jacked bullets been shooting 147 gr acme's going to try 4.2 grs to see if they group about the and then I'll run them over my crony.

2 hours ago, Dwbsig said:

For the above post these were fired with my sig p-320 RX was having trouble trying to post comments with picture.

Is that from a bench rest or freestyle?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, DWFAN said:

I'm looking for real world experience.

I have 10k Precision FN bullets and wanted to try SP so I worked up a 115 gr Precision FN load. Not jacketed of course and there was no specific data for that bullet and the OAL length I needed.

Laddered at  4.2, 4.4, 4.6 with OAL=1.110.  Win brass. 4.6 exceeded max velocity of 1170. 4.4 clocked at 1128, SD = 4.4. ES = 12. With 4.2 and 4.4 charges the Ruger shot 10-1 groups of > 2.6 inches at 50yds. Not acceptable. I also tried VV340, W231, Power Pistol, and True Blue. True Blue grouped the best with a 8-1 group of 1.0" and was soft shooting. I check for groups with a 14x scope. Velocity from a G17 w KKM barrel using Magnetospeed.

Hope this helps. Just a reminder that my OAL is considerably shorter than published data for 115gr RN bullets and so is seated deep. YMMV.

Edited by lgh

3 minutes ago, malobukov said:

What does "10-1 group" mean, a ten shot group excluding the worst shot?

Yes, it means the flyer was not included. The good group was an 8-1.

Not to steal the thread but the best grouping bullet out of the Ruger was a 124gr RMR JHP which consistently shoots ragged 1 inch holes at 50yds.

7 hours ago, lgh said:

Yes, it means the flyer was not included. The good group was an 8-1.

Not to steal the thread but the best grouping bullet out of the Ruger was a 124gr RMR JHP which consistently shoots ragged 1 inch holes at 50yds.

Qurious what kind of ruger are you shooting?

Blue bullets 125TC (actual 126grn average) 

3.6 grains sport pistol

1.125 COL

.377 crimp

.355 bullet diameter

Shadow 2

131PF

SD 12.35

Spread 41

Min fps 1041

Max fps 1082

12lb recoil spring 

Grouped pretty well for me at 25 yards standing freestyle. All A zone shots. The "felt" recoil was much more tamer than titegroup imho. No weird smells which is important to me since i shoot indoor USPSA time to time. 

I dont flip out on the SD since sport pistol claims temperature stable. Pretty good load imho. 

On 6/24/2018 at 2:43 PM, lgh said:

PCC

Ok. That would be good information to have. When someone claims 1" at 50 yards I'm really impressed. Of course I'm an old fart and assume we are talking with a pistol.

1 hour ago, PhillySoldier said:

It is my understanding that the Sport Pistol was meant more for casted bullets. Can someone say how true that might be?

I shoot mainly FMJ  or JHP and wanted to see how it might compare to say Titegroup or Power Pistol

I believe it was made for coated bullets, to smoke less.  They just happen to be cast.