Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol powder

jeffroberdo

6 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Thanks, it really dialed in pretty quick. It's the same 3.2 charge I've been using with TG, but SP is a softer shoot though. Going to pick up another bottle tomorrow and shoot this stuff for a while and see. Actually going to shoot in a local match tonight which hopefully will give me a guess at what to expect.

The best I have seen with my load (3.25/147 Blue Bullet/1.135/P320X5) is ES 20 and SD 6 which I am more than happy with. PF is 131/135/133 avg.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, ddc said:

The best I have seen with my load (3.25/147 Blue Bullet/1.135/P320X5) is ES 20 and SD 6 which I am more than happy with. PF is 131/135/133 avg.

Awesome numbers for sure, I know it provides a lot of satisfaction to obtain results like that!

9 hours ago, ddc said:

How many rounds did you chronograph?

When I consistently hit a SD of 6 or 7 with Prima V over a 15-20 shot sample size, I knew I had a keeper.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I ran my first test with it over the weekend...

gun: Shadow 1

bullet: Gallant Bullets coated 9mm 147

charge: 3.3gr

primer: WSP

oal: 1.100

string: 10 shots at 10 feet

avg mv: 895 (132pf)

es: 17

sd: 5

So far I'm sold on it. No more smoke than N320 and time will tell if it's as clean. I'll be testing some at 3.2gr today at lunch.

Edited by jlo86cj

18 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

When I consistently hit a SD of 6 or 7 with Prima V over a 15-20 shot sample size, I knew I had a keeper.

Loaded 1 mag (15) with 3.1 & saw 3 SD, another (15) with 3.2 and saw 4 SD. Best I ever saw with TG was 9...

11 minutes ago, jlo86cj said:

I ran my first test with it over the weekend...

gun: Shadow 1

bullet: Gallant Bullets coated 9mm 147

charge: 3.3gr

primer: WSP

oal: 1.100

string: 10 shots at 10 feet

avg mv: 895 (132pf)

es: 17

sd: 5

So far I'm sold on it. No more smoke than N320 and time will tell if it's as clean. I'll be testing some at 3.2gr today at lunch.

And softer than TG...

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The numbers I posted  ES 20, SD 6 were with only 10 shots. I should have pointed that out. I fired 15 but only 10 registered.

Later that day I had a 15 round string with ES 26, SD 9.

I had a friend shoot that string but I wouldn't think that could make any difference unless I'm missing something.

Those are the only two runs through that particular gun (X5) that I have.

On my M&P the only SP run I have is 11 shots ES 24, SD 7.

That is why I indicated that the numbers I posted were "the best I've seen with my load".

I've had similar results with Prima V.

Edited by ddc

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@ddc how do you think it compares to Prima V in terms of cleanliness and recoil and accuracy?

Recoil/accuracy: In my M&P I think they were very comparable. I doubt if I could tell them apart in a blindfold test.

In my new X5 I've only shot the SP loads.

Cleanliness: Kind of subjective but I thought Prima V was not bad and SP may be a touch cleaner.

My gut reaction is that they are very comparable. If you have a solid Prima V load there isn't any reason to change other than you want to try something different to have an alternative at some point. When my SP runs out I'll probably use up the rest of my Prima V and then decide which way to go.

Charge weight note: Almost identical. For equivalent power factor needed just a touch less SP than Prima V but it was very small, maybe in the noise. i.e. Prima V/3.3 vs. SP/3.25. I did have to adjust my powder measure a bit; forget which direction.

5 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Thanks.

Suspicion confirmed. I only ask because PV varies a lot from lot to lot. Sport Pistol I hope will be titegroup-like consistent.

You know... that is a good point about PV.

I purchased my stash before I read the threads on variability.  My data is from batch 16055.

If I made another PV purchase and saw different results that would be all it took to steer me towards SP.

1 minute ago, ddc said:

You know... that is a good point about PV.

I purchased my stash before I read the threads on variability.  My data is from batch 16055.

If I made another PV purchase and saw different results that would be all it took to steer me towards SP.

I have 7lbs of the good early batch left, too. I think it’s that same one. Out of 11lbs initially.

When it’s gone I will likely switch rather than risk hitting the batch no one liked quite as much.

Honestly I really liked the old Clays behind a 124, and may try International Clays or SP.

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I have 7lbs of the good early batch left, too. I think it’s that same one. Out of 11lbs initially.

When it’s gone I will likely switch rather than risk hitting the batch no one liked quite as much.

Honestly I really liked the old Clays behind a 124, and may try International Clays or SP.

You probably won't have to worry about it. It appears Prima V has gone the way of Solo 1000. No one has it. Glad I got 20 bottles of the original lot. Like it so much better than Titegroup.

49 minutes ago, OPENB said:

You probably won't have to worry about it. It appears Prima V has gone the way of Solo 1000. No one has it. Glad I got 20 bottles of the original lot. Like it so much better than Titegroup.

Good to know. I won’t bother to hunt for it, then.

I still have two 8lb jugs of the fast batch of old-school Solo 100, too. I‘m not quite sure why I refuse to open them, and keep buying other powders.

13 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I would not use International Clays.  Even Hodgdon says it is really spikey in handgun loads.  If you want something of similar speed, use Solo 1000 or American Select.  Sport Pistol should be a better bet.

8 minutes ago, zzt said:

I would not use International Clays.  Even Hodgdon says it is really spikey in handgun loads.  If you want something of similar speed, use Solo 1000 or American Select.  Sport Pistol should be a better bet.

I guess you didn’t read the rest of the thread. :D 

On 8/9/2017 at 2:22 PM, bowenbuilt said:

I have been testing and shooting SP for a while. It measures great, it is extremely low smoke with coated bullets when other powders are not, It is low report and low flash in the dark. It has proven to be as accurate as e3 and as clean burning. It is the same price right now as Promo. It fills the case nicely and is not temp sensitive. So basically what you get is a temperature stabile, cheap N320. It basically uses the same load data and gives relatively the same velocity. It has proven to be more accurate than 320 in all my guns. Lets hope they don't f**k this one up by changing it in the future like they did for Prima V.

Agreed. I was also very pleased with the data from my chrono from the loads I built last weekend, so much so bought another bottle yesterday while I could find it!

6 hours ago, OPENB said:

Interesting. Yes, Powder Valley out of stock and Grafs no longer lists it at all as far as I could see.

Well that will certainly help me make up my mind.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, jschweg said:

Forgive me if this was answered already, but how well does this meter in the Dillon since it's an extruded powder?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Outstanding!  Better than VV N320 (which is excellent).

Don’t have any technical specs on Sport Pistol, but I picked up a container a few weeks ago. Developed a few loads with it and chronograph readings were spot on. Really like the powder and it may replace my Win 231 loads.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk