Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting an STI DVC OPEN, need help with 9mm major load

WAlamo

Recently bought a DVC and have been messing with different loads. Out of my first batch my favorite was probably 7.8gr Hs6 1.165 OAL 124gr Everglades FMJ. Average of 171 PF. I made up another 6 or 7 different loads to try this weekend so I'll report back if I find something I like more.

On 11/3/2017 at 2:49 PM, frankge said:

Hi,

I load RMR 124s (they are actually 125 on my scale). OAL is 1.168 and I use for my gun (STI GrandMaster Trubor) 8.4g of HS-6. I'm getting ~175 pf out of it but my gun appears to be slow (like the owner). Plenty of grip on the bullet but they do look different because they are much rounder than PDs or MGs.

I use 7.8gr of HS-6 with a RMR HCM at about 1.160 to get roughly the same PF in my CK with 3 holes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm new to this forum but find it infinitely valuable so...thank you all.  I have been dialing in my DVC Open and experiencing all the usual issues, except for the cracked comp. However it's clear to me how STI has subtly changed the comp design to eliminate (or reduce) cracking at the top of the rear side ports. If you look at Bdh821's photo, you'll see that the round end of the oval-shaped side port intersects the upper machine line running the length of the comp. This creates a stress riser (machinists and mechanical engineers can weigh in). In the new design, the side ports are lower by, say, a millimeter, but enough to reduce/eliminate that stress riser. I'm not sure if anyone from STI can confirm this, but surely their machining tolerances are such that this distance on the newer comps is deliberate. I checked and I have the older-style comp so...I've got my fingers crossed awaiting the dreaded crack. 

IMG_1547.PNG

I spent some time with my new DVC Open this weekend. I will post my chrono screen capture so you can see the progression.

I found the sweet spot for mine seems to be 7.4gr HS-6 with 125gr blue bullets with an average of 1402fps and approx 175pf

There was little felt recoil and the barrel seemed to stay fairly flat with the test rounds.

My plan is to get some real life experience with four of the weights.

2 in HS-6 and 2 in CFE Pistol to better gauge how the gun will react.

I will conduct 50 round tests with the chosen weights and decide if I need to try a different load or run with one of these.

Chrono.png

I had a DVC Open till recently and the load was 125 grn zero JHP at 6.7 grns of WAC and a oal of 1.16. 

Every gun will be dif. but it looks like all using 125s and WAC are pretty close to that 6.7-6.8 range. 

As said above I would start lower and work my way up. 

AA#7 10.4 under MG 115jhp  1.170  make sure you start low around 9.7 and work up. Ive used autocomp for a year and some HS6 and AA#7 is the way to go. Ive also been playing with 124CMJ over 9.7 AA#7 at 1.80 nice load.

I went out recently with two HS6 and two CFE Pistol loads. The HS6 loads worked best for me. The HS6 at 7.4 he was the flattest shooting so far. I plan to go from 7.4, 7.6 and 7.8 to see if I can get the ammo truly tuned to the gun. Odd thing is that even after 7.4gr of HS6 my spent brass still fits in the case gauge and drops out easily with no signs of overpressure or case bulging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 3/13/2018 at 1:24 PM, wick said:

AA#7 10.4 under MG 115jhp  1.170  make sure you start low around 9.7 and work up. Ive used autocomp for a year and some HS6 and AA#7 is the way to go. Ive also been playing with 124CMJ over 9.7 AA#7 at 1.80 nice load.

In my sps vista 9mm I’m making major way under the numbers you have with aa7.   Mine is a 2port comp with no holes.   Aa7 9.6gr under 115.  167 pf

AA7  is by far the softest powder that I’ve tried.   

How did the 7.4 HS6 Chrono? Seems a little light unless you have a fast barrel.

Average was 1375fps 172pf. Now that said I could have been throwing a little more than 7.4gr. I am going back with the chrono to confirm this and run 7.4, 7.6 and 7.8 to verify my 7.4 and test out the others for better compensator operation. The 7.4 was working well but was still a little more upward motion than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 3/16/2018 at 1:24 PM, Bwilmot said:

In my sps vista 9mm I’m making major way under the numbers you have with aa7.   Mine is a 2port comp with no holes.   Aa7 9.6gr under 115.  167 pf

AA7  is by far the softest powder that I’ve tried.   

KKM barrel Chilly comp with 3 holes 115cmj over AA#7 10.4gr  172.50pf.

Latest chrono results show a few things.

First, my loads from the last chrono run were not well measured. The 7.4 and 7.6 were very similar in FPS and power factor was similar. This time out was different since I was more diligent in my load weights as the chrono results will show.

Second, I used multiple weights of HS6 taking these a little higher that previous chrono run.

Conclusion: I found that the 7.6gr of HS6 works very well in my gun. 7.8gr created a little more recoil than 7.6 which was flat shooting which was shown in the video I took.

Here are the chrono results:

Chrono_HS6_test.jpg

Edited by alsipd

• 4 weeks later...

I have a TRUBOR and load 7.0 of auto comp with a 124 gr MG JHP OAL 1.170. No signs of excess pressure with Win small pistol primers. My alternate load is 7.2 of N350, same bullet sized 1.160. The N350 is a lot cleaner burning but more $.

I’m running a 5” infinity ultimatch barrel and I’ve ran both Precision Delta JHP in 124 and 115. I personally prefer 115gn loads. You feel it in the hand a little more but the extra gas from the higher powder charge keeps the gun more flat I feel . Every guns different so work your load up and see what you like best. And make sure to pad that PF to make sure it’ll make major in different temperatures and climates . Load data I use below 

124gn PD jhp OAL 1.165 w/ 6.8gn of WAC

115 Gn PD jhp OAL 1.165 w/ 7.6gn of WAC

I have an akai with 2 v ports and 1 barrel port. I have a brand new v6 akai that should arrive in the next 30days. 

I am loading PD 124grn jhp at 1.165 with a CCI primer. I have 

Autocomp from 7.2-8.2

HS6 from 7.4-8.2

3n37 from 8-8.6

AA7 from 9.2-10.2 

Once both guns are here I will do my test and decide a powder then, or make changes. I was running a DVC Open before that and it liked 7.6 grns of autocomp at 1.165.