Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Mags

Wolfar15

17 minutes ago, Wolfar15 said:

good to know the price difference is just kinda astronomical but if its worth it i can deal with it. anyone know a places with good deals or to buy in bulk?

The only "deal" I've heard of is if you buy 6 mags from MBX, you get a free mag sleeve. (didn't impress me much, I've got a few of those collecting dust on the shelf, my range bag has built in slots for mags)

The price is not really that different once you add in new guts and pads you are just under the MBX cost.  You can spend hours searching the web and it's gonna be one thirty all day long.  If you want a certain color base pad best bet is to call them up and purchase direct as most pro shop sites only stock limited colors.

As I've said before, I must be the luckiest sumbitch shooting, cause I've used dozens of STI mags & tubes, slapped Grams guts & Dawson pads on them, & went shooting. No problems. I recently got 3 of the newest style STI tubes in 40, & they run perfectly.  Pay your money, take your chances. As Sarge is hinting, nothing is guaranteed 100%. 

16 minutes ago, OPENB said:

As I've said before, I must be the luckiest sumbitch shooting, cause I've used dozens of STI mags & tubes, slapped Grams guts & Dawson pads on them, & went shooting. No problems. I recently got 3 of the newest style STI tubes in 40, & they run perfectly.  Pay your money, take your chances. As Sarge is hinting, nothing is guaranteed 100%. 

Same here. STI tubes, grams guts and bolen/TTI base pads and steel spacers. Change springs once in awhile and they just work. 

2 hours ago, OPENB said:

Agree

Seems like I can build a mag for around a 100.

Still tube grams guts, Dawson or tti base

Maybe have to run a stone on edges

56 minutes ago, orangeman711 said:

Sarge. I was relaying my experience with MBX mags. I have no reason to lie. Glad you have no problems with your mags.

I don't think "lie" ever entered my mind. It's just that there are countless examples here and elsewhere of MBX mags not working 100%. My mags are not perfect. But they are damn near it. :)

Here's my experience with 2011 mags, all 9mm. I bought 5 of the old school STI mags to get me started all stock. They worked for a while right out of the package. The springs started to wear out pretty quick so I tried some aftermarket springs that would fit the stock follower. I had a few problems here and there and it turns out all the problems were caused by the stock followers. Once I listened to everyone and switched to grams springs and followers with the tab ground off I never had a single problem again. The only thing that took some getting used to is the slide not locking back but with a 2011 you should never slam a mag in with the slide locked back anyway. 

Was eventually convinced that I need to start wasting more money so I bought an overpriced MBX 140 mag. What a POS that thing turned out to be. First, it wouldn't seat in my Apeiro and my frame is debured. I called shootersconnection to try and return it, guy said sure ship it back. So 8 more bucks down the drain to ship it back, I get an angry phone call from the owner, bla, bla, bla, he ends up grinding a chunk out of it and ships it back to me. Then I look on the MBX website for a phone number and what do you know, there isn't one. I guess if you sell shit you don't want to hear about it all day. To shorten it up a bit I'm stuck with this thing. So a gunsmith friend got it working for me and its working for about 3 matches. Then all of a sudden the rounds start getting stuck side by side about 1/3 of the way down the tube costing me spots overall. This is now a practice mag and still gives me this problem. People that pay to much for certain things will say good things about said products to make themselves feel better about wasting money.

A few months ago I got 2 of the new style STI bodies, put grams guts in and stock basepads. These 2 mags have been 100% perfect from day 1 and I'm sold on them. I have just over 80 bucks each in them and like I said they are awesome. Some people say that grams shouldn't be used in the new style STI's but there are lots of people doing it and it's working for them to.

Also I'm beyond tired of hearing about mag X fitting 2 more rounds than mag O because you want to shoot a whole stage without changing a mag. Go shoot open ya lazy no skilled prick.

18 hours ago, louu said:

Here's my experience with 2011 mags, all 9mm. I bought 5 of the old school STI mags to get me started all stock. They worked for a while right out of the package. The springs started to wear out pretty quick so I tried some aftermarket springs that would fit the stock follower. I had a few problems here and there and it turns out all the problems were caused by the stock followers. Once I listened to everyone and switched to grams springs and followers with the tab ground off I never had a single problem again. The only thing that took some getting used to is the slide not locking back but with a 2011 you should never slam a mag in with the slide locked back anyway. 

Was eventually convinced that I need to start wasting more money so I bought an overpriced MBX 140 mag. What a POS that thing turned out to be. First, it wouldn't seat in my Apeiro and my frame is debured. I called shootersconnection to try and return it, guy said sure ship it back. So 8 more bucks down the drain to ship it back, I get an angry phone call from the owner, bla, bla, bla, he ends up grinding a chunk out of it and ships it back to me. Then I look on the MBX website for a phone number and what do you know, there isn't one. I guess if you sell shit you don't want to hear about it all day. To shorten it up a bit I'm stuck with this thing. So a gunsmith friend got it working for me and its working for about 3 matches. Then all of a sudden the rounds start getting stuck side by side about 1/3 of the way down the tube costing me spots overall. This is now a practice mag and still gives me this problem. People that pay to much for certain things will say good things about said products to make themselves feel better about wasting money.

A few months ago I got 2 of the new style STI bodies, put grams guts in and stock basepads. These 2 mags have been 100% perfect from day 1 and I'm sold on them. I have just over 80 bucks each in them and like I said they are awesome. Some people say that grams shouldn't be used in the new style STI's but there are lots of people doing it and it's working for them to.

Also I'm beyond tired of hearing about mag X fitting 2 more rounds than mag O because you want to shoot a whole stage without changing a mag. Go shoot open ya lazy no skilled prick.

So your experience with a sample set of 1, out weighs all the positive reviews. Oh that's right people who say positive things about MBX mags are just trying to make themselves feel good. 

I'll take my experience with 12 MBX mags in both .40 and 9mm that have all run right out of the package, Over some butthurt whiner on the internet. 

18 hours ago, louu said:

So you're saying the owner of Shootersconnetcion took back your mag ground on it, and shipped it back to you? And you never contacted MBX directly? Or did I read that wrong?

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

So you're saying the owner of Shootersconnetcion took back your mag ground on it, and shipped it back to you? And you never contacted MBX directly? Or did I read that wrong?

He must mean MBX. I can't see Chuck working on a product that was returned to his store. I assume SC sent it back to MBX and they worked on it.

I have had great luck with the old and new style STI mags with Dawson/TTI pads and TTI guts. All 6 hold 20+1 (40SW) and have been 100% over the last 10,000 rounds. If you're not up to speed on the different options available, Atlas posted a great video on YouTube yesterday going over the options available right now.