Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Suppressed.

I know it is prohibited in the PCC Division,  but since it isn't a safety concern - I assume just a timer sensitivity one do you think a local club would let me try PCC suppressed for no score? My SBR isn't safe to shoot unsuppressed as the barrel is only about sticking about 3" out of the receiver. There is a hand guard, but I don't know how smart it is shooting it like that (I have never tried). I would hate to spend a few hundred dollars trying to convert or rebarrel this so it could be shot in PCC and find out I hate it. 

Maybe a hollow barrel extension with no baffles or suppression? Would this meet the letter and intent of the division for trial purposes?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

IMG_2508.PNG

I see no reason why an extended flash can like what KAK industries makes wouldn't be both legal and an inexpensive way to make it PCC legal. I don't know if they make a 9mm version, but if they don't, someone else probably does. You could even look at getting the 1/2 28 device from KAK and milling it out for 9mm, they are made of aluminum so it wouldn't be too hard if you have a lathe or someone you know who has one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

My mpx won't register on the timer that's the main concern. If suppressed was legal I'd be all over pcc

Whoever is running the timer needs to put it close for the first and last shot.  It can be done. 

I have a tired that picks it up from about 5 feet, but no more serious than I am going to be about it if they wanted to just tap the timer when they think I am done that is fine by me. 

The barrel is a 3 lug lug with no threads so I would have to make a tube that threads onto the existing 3 lug adapter I have. I think what I would end up with is something that looks like a 5" flaming pig. 

Thanks dor the advice. I think I will maybe I will try asking the MD and have the tube as a backup.

Lee

Hello: If you have your club set the timer so it will pickup quieter shots it should work if they put the timer near the ejection port. I would ask the match director and would think most would say yes hoping you come back with a non suppressed PCC and 10 of your friends. Our next match here has 17 people registered for PCC. Pretty good number for a match that has around 80 shooters total. Looks like a fun gun to shoot. Thanks, Eric

I'm hoping that when (not if) they allow transfers of suppressors on a 4473, they will become so common that the NROI will need to re-address the suppressor ban.

I went to a non-USPSA match a few weekends ago and suppressors were not only allowed, but recommended.  My kind of match.

In  the meantime, I hope MDs will allow suppressor shooters to at least participate for no score.

Like Aircooled6racer said,  put the timer close to the ejection port and it should work just fine.  (Heck, when I turn up the sensitivity on my timer, its can pick up airsoft.)

If you have a suppressed rifle, you might invest in an AirSoft timer.  Most manufacturers make a version of the regular timers with a more sensitive shot sensor, that should be perfect for suppressed.  When you go to shoot, hand the RO your timer, not like you are getting a score anyway.

Put the timer on a stick so the RO does not need to get up in your business while shooting. Seen too many times where an RO is way too close and ends up with RO interference called, or worse ends up downrange of the shooter. That or a stopwatch and a quick whistle or just saying beep. Back in the day they did not have these fancy timers and made it work. Was it the most accurate time, no, but this is just for fun at the local level.

21 minutes ago, ziebart said:

Put the timer on a stick so the RO does not need to get up in your business while shooting. Seen too many times where an RO is way too close and ends up with RO interference called, or worse ends up downrange of the shooter. That or a stopwatch and a quick whistle or just saying beep. Back in the day they did not have these fancy timers and made it work. Was it the most accurate time, no, but this is just for fun at the local level.

Nope. Too much hassle. Remember, PCC needs to adapt to USPSA. Not he other way around

I may take my end cap off and remove the baffles and leave the exiting tube and adapter in place. The can is a Form 1 build and likely adequate for .308 so I am sure no amount of 9mm will hurt the tube. Cleaning out the fouling to get the baffles back in might be a thing though.. lol. I would bet with the baffles removed and normal timer with sensitivity turned up would be a winning combo. I would have to think that an SBR would be an advantage for things like barriers due to maneuverability issues. Total length of my setup with the can or outer tube installed is right at 12" from the receiver. I believe that is a 10" Samson rail.

Lee

3 hours ago, L9X25 said:

If you have a suppressed rifle, you might invest in an AirSoft timer. ...

A suppressed rifle will make enough noise to work with regular timers if you are making power factor. A PCC may be a different thing.

One of the guys at our club has a PCC with an empty  suppressor lookalike tube, and it works fine: not all that loud but definitely enough for any timer.

We have lots of PCC shooters at our club and picking up shots is not a problem for most of them.  However, we have a couple that do not have a muzzle brake and the timer must be held close to the rifle to record the shots.  Something about light reloads with very fast powders that create almost no gas at the muzzle, and what gas is left is directed at the berm.  They are very quiet.  

A flash can on your PCC would make it good to go in USPSA. There's nothing that specifies the size of a non-compensating muzzle device, yet at least. In 3 Gun Nation you're good to go suppressed in Unlimited PCC division. 

As far as timers picking up suppressed shots, I've been able to pick up 95 grain bullets loaded to 600 FPS with a standard timer. Hold the timer with the sensor facing the action of the firearm in relatively close proximity. As a shooter, tell your RO where you plan on ending up at the end of the stage if it's complex and not just stand and deliver. We encourage suppressors at our falling steel match. Heck, we have 22 shooters run suppressed sometimes. We are blessed with excellent RO's that know how to adapt between the ridiculous 38SC shorty open gun with a billionty popple holes (don't be that guy) and a suppressed PCC. 

As an aside, if you forget your can you will know by the end of the stage, covered in carbon and tingly. Oh, and loud. Don't forget your can. 

Looks like I have an alternative for not being able to shoot suppressed. Honestly, looking at this barrel extension, I can't imagine it will help the timer pick up the shot any better though as so much of the sound is projected outward. I will say the muzzle on my SBR is closer to the timer and a the muzzle on a pistol at arms length so maybe it will make a difference. 

Lee

IMG_2584.JPG

Your 3-lug barrel extension should take care of the issue. 

As noted, suppressors are used without issue at subgun matches and other non-USPSA matches on a regular basis. The RO just needs to be aware of a couple of things. 

Reading some one of the comments, people seem to think the timer needs to pick up the noise from the muzzle. While this does work, it's not necessarily the best way to go about RO-ing a suppressed shooter. There is plenty of "gas" and mechanical noise coming from the ejection port. It's usually not that difficult for the RO to reach and get the timer in proximity to the ejection port. 

For an added measure, some will try to position the timer such that the brass from the last shot hits the timer. 

And remember, you don't need to catch all shots - only the last shot.