Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

Probably a silly question but am about to buy my first gun for IPSC and I'm pretty much set for Shadow 2 and production. But I'm also interested in the idea of converting the gun to SA only and run it in Standard minor at some point. My question is will the gun fit the IPSC Standard box with magwell and mag base pads. Just curious since the czub site lists the guns height 157mm and the IPSC box is 150. 

Edited by Tirppa

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tirppa said:

Probably a silly question but am about to buy my first gun for IPSC and I'm pretty much set for Shadow 2 and production. But I'm also interested in the idea of converting the gun to SA only and run it in Standard minor at some point. My question is will the gun fit the IPSC Standard box with magwell and mag base pads. Just curious since the czub site lists the guns height 157mm and the IPSC box is 150. 

It will fit if you change basepads to 17 + 1 (buy at  luckydelta.com or elsewhere). Standard mags do not fit the box!

7 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

It will fit if you change basepads to 17 + 1 (buy at  luckydelta.com or elsewhere). Standard mags do not fit the box!

Any combo that gives me 20+1 rounds and still fits in the box? Though I'm not too worried about being competitive (at least not at this point) but 20 rounds would still be nice.

why would you bother with converting it to SA? Just shoot it in minor as is. With a good trigger job and 10-11lb hammer springs you won't be at any disadvantage. 

Well that's also an option. I just like the idea of the flat trigger. Then again that way it would be easier to shoot both. Just remove magwell. But I'm more interested fitting 20 rounds in the mag and the gun still fitting in the box. 

Edited by Tirppa

so how's it shoot ? do you notice any additional muzzle flip or movement with the lightened slide?

I'm 3 weeks in at CZC now, I'm hoping I get it back before the 8-9 I was quoted, would love to use it 

in a couple of matches before the season really dies down here

I run my gun in Open and Standard, 94% of the Open match winner recently, with iron sights and DA/SA trigger. I won standard with the same setup. I do want to build a gun like Robin did, TS top end with a frame mounted optic, but I'd stick with the DA/SA setup so I don't need to run safeties. Throw on a magwell and I'm happy. but up here in Canuckistan it's still 10 rounds

I changed my front sight to a .100 wide dawson

installed a 11.5 hammer spring, extended firing pin, light firing pin spring and a 13lb recoil spring with LOK palmswell grips

sets off any primers I can find

DA 5.5lb SA 2.5lb

70F026E6-D4AD-40E5-9067-A7BC9F30A00E.jpeg

Edited by jpm2953

Nice thread !
A simple question: is the screw holding the mag release button locktited ?
It's nearly impossible to remove using a torx key, I think I've stripped the screw head, fortunately, the factory setting is ok for my hands, but I guess I was curious about that feature, so I tried to unscrew it :) 

I got a s2 a couple weeks ago I use the gun for plate matches and range fun. I need some advice on what I need to do to it to get some creep out and drop some of the pull wt. on the trigger. The gun started out with a da of ten pounds and a sa of four pounds I changed the hammer spring to 13lb and a lighter firing pin sring also bought a 11 and 12 pound recoil spring. After the spring change i had 9 lb da and sa went 3lb 12oz was a little disappointed. Would like to have somewhere around 3-3-1/4 pound sa and about seven double without the creep. There is to much creep after the take up,this what I don't like. I been shooting glocks and sigs plastic guns last few years this my frist Cz ,have shot 1911's in the past with pretty good triggers. 

3 hours ago, Dwbsig said:

I got a s2 a couple weeks ago I use the gun for plate matches and range fun. I need some advice on what I need to do to it to get some creep out and drop some of the pull wt. on the trigger. The gun started out with a da of ten pounds and a sa of four pounds I changed the hammer spring to 13lb and a lighter firing pin sring also bought a 11 and 12 pound recoil spring. After the spring change i had 9 lb da and sa went 3lb 12oz was a little disappointed. Would like to have somewhere around 3-3-1/4 pound sa and about seven double without the creep. There is to much creep after the take up,this what I don't like. I been shooting glocks and sigs plastic guns last few years this my frist Cz ,have shot 1911's in the past with pretty good triggers. 

Replace the hammer, disco, and install an 11.5# hammer spring.

5 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Replace the hammer, disco, and install an 11.5# hammer spring.

Hate to be a pain but what brand and type of parts do I need to get? I looked at cgw and they have three or four different types have not looked at czc parts yet.

Edited by Dwbsig

3 minutes ago, Dwbsig said:

Hate to be a pain but what brand and type of parts do I need to get? I looked at cgw and they have three or four different types have not looked at czc parts yet.

Just get the Shadow 2 competition package if money is no problem.

On 8/11/2018 at 4:44 PM, kmanick said:

Nice! that shoots real flat what ammo you using (PF?)

The ammo I make. 145gr Acme round nose. 3.2 of Sport Pistol. I routinely come in at 129-133 pf at matches and it's 130 pf on my personal chrono.

Someone asked me the super popular question, "What do I have to do?" if they bought a Shadow 2 and wanted to compete. My answer was this:

Optional, a thinner front sight and grips. These are all personal preference items.

Should do, reduced power firing pin spring. Polish the bevel at the bottom of the firing pin stop plate. Stone cartridge rail smooth. Use 11 pound recoil spring as a starting point. Polish sides of trigger bar. Polish appropriate parts of sear and cage. Polish sides of hammer where it contacts frame. Make hammer spring strut smooth, removing the sharp edges from stamping and then polish it. Start with an 11 pound recoil spring if you reload and run appropriate primers. Install your choice of disconnector and fit it properly. Polish disco where needed.

So sights, $40. Grips $70-130. Disco $40. Three springs, recoil, fp and hammer are $30. So around $200 and a few hours of your time get you a great gun!

57 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

The ammo I make. 145gr Acme round nose. 3.2 of Sport Pistol. I routinely come in at 129-133 pf at matches and it's 130 pf on my personal chrono.

Someone asked me the super popular question, "What do I have to do?" if they bought a Shadow 2 and wanted to compete. My answer was this:

Optional, a thinner front sight and grips. These are all personal preference items.

Should do, reduced power firing pin spring. Polish the bevel at the bottom of the firing pin stop plate. Stone cartridge rail smooth. Use 11 pound recoil spring as a starting point. Polish sides of trigger bar. Polish appropriate parts of sear and cage. Polish sides of hammer where it contacts frame. Make hammer spring strut smooth, removing the sharp edges from stamping and then polish it. Start with an 11 pound recoil spring if you reload and run appropriate primers. Install your choice of disconnector and fit it properly. Polish disco where needed.

So sights, $40. Grips $70-130. Disco $40. Three springs, recoil, fp and hammer are $30. So around $200 and a few hours of your time get you a great gun!

my Carry optics milled S2 slide is on it's way back from CZC. I already have the lighter hammer springs in there, and just ordered  11 and 13 pound recoil springs

We load Ibejihead 147's CCi primers 3.4 grams win231 powrder, comes in right at 130PF. I've been using these with my M&P 9L because that has on optic on it

but will be switching back to my Shadow 2 now, so i am going to be in full "tune" mode.  disco may be up next :)

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into a guy at the "walls of Steel" match this past weekend that had a Shadow 2 with the full competition kit in it, and he let me check it out.

His trigger was   a little bit nicer than mine and he said he did all of the work himself. So... I manned up and decided to see if I can 

do any of this stuff myself. I replaced the recoil spring with an 11# the hammer  Spring with an 11.5#, put in extended firing pin ,

all relatively simple. I have an extended safety on mine and I noticed that I keep hitting it when I do mag changes and it locks me up, so 

I decided this needs to come off ( I don't really ever use it anyway) taking this off spooked me because of how small some of the parts are

but it went smoothly , so I ordered an S2 disconnect and I'm going to drop that in this week as well.

I know this is no big deal to you guys who work on these guns all the time but  this is the first time I've really ventured down this road

at this level, and I must say it's pretty gratifying . Even with the changes I made yesterday the trigger is noticeably better. 

I ran about 50 rounds of my homegrown 147s that use CCi primers and all went boom with no light hits. Yay!

the little creep in the take up is what needs to go. I also have the reduced trigger spring but I keep reading mixed reviews on that so I 'm going to hold off

on swapping that out yet.

3 hours ago, kmanick said:

I ran into a guy at the "walls of Steel" match this past weekend that had a Shadow 2 with the full competition kit in it, and he let me check it out.

His trigger was   a little bit nicer than mine and he said he did all of the work himself. So... I manned up and decided to see if I can 

do any of this stuff myself. I replaced the recoil spring with an 11# the hammer  Spring with an 11.5#, put in extended firing pin ,

all relatively simple. I have an extended safety on mine and I noticed that I keep hitting it when I do mag changes and it locks me up, so 

I decided this needs to come off ( I don't really ever use it anyway) taking this off spooked me because of how small some of the parts are

but it went smoothly , so I ordered an S2 disconnect and I'm going to drop that in this week as well.

I know this is no big deal to you guys who work on these guns all the time but  this is the first time I've really ventured down this road

at this level, and I must say it's pretty gratifying . Even with the changes I made yesterday the trigger is noticeably better. 

I ran about 50 rounds of my homegrown 147s that use CCi primers and all went boom with no light hits. Yay!

the little creep in the take up is what needs to go. I also have the reduced trigger spring but I keep reading mixed reviews on that so I 'm going to hold off

You need to install a new hammer if you want to remove the creep. Not really any mixed reviews on the reduced trigger spring AFAIK. It's a lot more durable than the factory stuff too.

4 hours ago, kmanick said:

I also have the reduced trigger spring but I keep reading mixed reviews on that so I 'm going to hold off

I have the original reduced power trigger return spring in mine that I put in it and have had 0 issues with it, I probably have 12-15K rounds on it or so.

One issue to look out for that I have ran in to and it was a bonehead mistake on my part - the screw that holds the trigger bar horseshoe spring in place (and the mag release spring) has worked loose on me and it doesn't allow the trigger to catch the hammer to drop or cock it. Was bonehead on my part because I didn't loctite it back in place when I modified the mag release spring.