Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First gun was a Savage 410 single shot at age 8 (almost caused a divorce but my dad won). :wub:

I wasn't allowed to shoot it until I had all the gun safety rules memorized.

I was also required to break it down and clean it after every firing.

If it didn't pass inpection, I had to clean it until it did.

Marlin .22 at age 11.

First Centerfire rifle was Win Mod 70 at age 20.

First Handgun: S&W Mod 15 at age 21.

Since then I couldn't begin to count them all.

Tls

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine was an old Stevens .22 bolt action single shot at age 8-9. I was a terror on rabbits and squirells! :) My first handgun was a Springfield Defender .45 I bought the day I turned 21. I was station in California at the time. I mostly shot pop cans with that though. Didn't start Practical Shooting until 2001- oddly enough. <_<

Edited by Rocket35

Raised on a farm, we always had firearms. It seemed that in each corner of every closet had a rifle standing in it. Pop didn't believe in shotguns. Never had one, never needed one.

When I was eight, my father gave me a very old but cared for Remington Model 33 (.22 LR single shot) and my brother a Remington Rolling Block in .32 RF. The .32 RF had two old boxes of ammo. Shot 1/2 of the first box and the Rolling Block's firing pin broke. That was in 1960 and still not fixed.

At 16, my parents gave me a Ruger Single Six with both cylinders (.22 LR and .22 mag). This was the first "new in the box" firearm my father ever purchased.

Still got them all.

Brought my daughters up a little differently. Each one got a good target quality pellet gun at age 8 and learned to shoot them, a new Ruger 10/22 at age 14. And to top it off, for their 21st birthday, they each got new Seecamp .32's.

Keep the tradition going.

My first gun was a Stevens .22 single shot bolt at 7 y.o. First handgun was a Remington Rand 1911A1 made in 1942 given to me at 11 y.o. (It was stolen out of my car in 1991).

I just gave my youngest son a Walther P22 for his 6th B-Day. I gave My oldest son a 10-22 for his 9th B-Day (He'll be 16 in March).

It was two years ago for me. I was living in NC, called up a local public range and said, "I know nothing about guns and want to learn." The person on the other end of the line said, "GREAT!" At the time I figured I'd just gotten a really enthusiastic clerk, but everyone I have met since then doing this has been like that, too. :wub:

Then I moved to MT, no public ranges, so I got into USPSA to improve my gun-handling skills. And the rest, as they say, is history.

• 3 years later...

My first was an Anshultz Wood Chucker some where around the age of 8. Not to say that I hadn't been shooting a bit before that, but I had to pass the Hunter Safety Test before I got my own gun. Lost track since then, but know that most of them are still here :ph34r:

Carinab - the only thing better than hearing range comands from a 4-year old are them standing next to you with a rig and cap gun going "Beep me Daddy!" :cheers:

mine was a BB gun at 8 or 9 years old--lone gone--I got a cowboy 45 cap gun==you had to take the lead bullets out and place the caps under the brass case,it only shot 6 times (( still have it )) real gun was a TARUS 38 spl,right after I got married,,not going to tell haw long that was ,,but it was a long time and I still have it,,, :roflol:

A 22 lever action my dad made for me. He was an amazing gunsmith among other things. Unfortunately it was stolen from me during a home invasion back in 1987. :(

edited to add that he gave it to me when I was 11.

Edited by Neomet

When I was 10-ish, my Dad had his Wincherster Model 62 reblued and gave it to me for Christmas. We refinished the stock together. At 13, we inherited my Great Aunt's S&W Model 10. Only they didn't have names or number when it was made. It was simply a 4" 38 Special. Mint condition. It stayed in my Dad's sock drawer, but I was the one who shot it when we went to the farm and I could dry fire it when ever I wanted. I also reloaded for it at 13 with a Lee Hand Loader. I bought my first 1911 at age 18 with my Dad's help.

This is an old thread, but ill play.

My first was at 10-11 yrs old, and it was a Ruger 10/22 standard model with walnut stock. That was in 1973 I think. It was stolen a couple years later when our house was broken into when we were on vacation. It was a blessing in disguise as when the insurance check got to us, my mom took me to the gunshop and we baught a 10/22 and a Standard Ruger pistol as well. The year was 1976 (I was 13) and both were stamped with "Made in The 200th year of American liberty". I still have them and they will go to my son.

Saved up and bought a Ruger Single Six .22LR when I was around 12. My grandfather gave me a 1903A3 sporter shortly after that, but I couldn't shoot it until I completed the Utah Hunter Safety course taught by my other grandparents (both NRA instructors). I have many more guns now, but those two are special, and I plan to pass them on to my son and grandson very soon.

My first was a breech loading single shot .22 pistol with a hooded front sight and pearl/plastic grips. I still hae it, and it is really accurate. (I'd have to look to see what brand it is.) I got that when I was 8. The first gun I got that was mine to keep in my room, and take out shooting rabbits and coyotes was a Ruger 10/22 when I was 10. that Same year my pop brought home a 1903 A3 Springfield for me, and I started shootin it when I turned 12.(It was so heavy up until then) I was shooting pistols somewhere in there 10-11 and my first pistol was a S&W .38 revo that I still have now. It was returned to me by my brother in law just last year. It had a blown forcing cone when my pop gave it to me. I paid to have it fixed with my paper route money. I shot a BHP about a year after that, and have been shooting autos ever since.

Like many here, my first pistols were stolen several years ago. Wish I had them now.

My first was a breech loading single shot .22 pistol with a hooded front sight and pearl/plastic grips. I still hae it, and it is really accurate. (I'd have to look to see what brand it is.) I got that when I was 8. The first gun I got that was mine to keep in my room, and take out shooting rabbits and coyotes was a Ruger 10/22 when I was 10. that Same year my pop brought home a 1903 A3 Springfield for me, and I started shootin it when I turned 12.(It was so heavy up until then) I was shooting pistols somewhere in there 10-11 and my first pistol was a S&W .38 revo that I still have now. It was returned to me by my brother in law just last year. It had a blown forcing cone when my pop gave it to me. I paid to have it fixed with my paper route money. I shot a BHP about a year after that, and have been shooting autos ever since.

Like many here, my first pistols were stolen several years ago. Wish I had them now.

Mine was a Ruger 22/45 MK III. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Red Ryder BB gun (and a can of 8k BBs)for my 7th Birthday. My first real gun was an Ithaca M66 .410 single shot, I got it for Christmas when I was 10. Daddy gave me his 12ga. 870 two years later. I bought my first pistol at 19, a S&W 6" 686 in 1984. I still have all but the pistol, I sold it to help fund my first 1911, and the man I sold it to in 1989 won't sell it back to me.

I gave my 8year old daughter a pink Davy Crickett .22 for Christmas this year.

Hurley

Dad is a part time gunsmith. Took an older Remington single shot bolt action and cut it down for me, 18" barrel, front and rear sights from a 700 rem, shortened the stock to fit my 5 y/o frame. Shot it... Damn, If i shot 100 rounds through it I musta shot 100,000 rounds through it.

To this day I wish i still had it, but unfortunately it was stolen from my dads house about 5 years ago. Shoulda had it in my safe, but just didnt have the room. Know better now, buy another safe.

First rifle, Telly (Czech) 177 Air Rifle 1975 aged 11 and a bit.

Next real rifle. Winchester M64B, 1979, June 19th, 3 days after turning 16 and getting my Firearms Licence. Still have them both, and the next and the next.

My daughter "thoerectically" has a Tikka 595 in 17Remington, it arrived 4 days after she did, the wife was not fully pleased, but I did explain that the rifle was ordered in and around the same time as the child. :surprise:

Edited by gm iprod

My first real gun would be a Montgomery Wards bolt action .410 shotgun given to me by my uncle. I still have it. I have taught 4 kids to shoot with it. I was in 7th grade so I was either 12 or 13. I made a dent in the squirrel population for a while and was able to pay for shells shooting pigeons on a friends great aunts farm.