Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need to use case lube when using carbide dies ?

hkvp9

Agree w/Brittin. The up and down strokes with the operating handle  before the plate indexing should always be a smooth harmonious operation.

WITHOUT LUBE,   I  find that even on 9mm(least likely to need) if there is  resistance when you start to move the press heads down from the completion of the work of the 4 die heads sometimes you will sense an unwillingness of   the dies to release the down stoke .  This commencement  of the  down stroke should be smooth and w/o resistance. Lube will eliminate that  " sticking" if its there and make the entire reload actions smooth and harmonious.  More enjoyable and faster operations ensue.

Chuck

I don't.  I paid extra for carbide resizing dies so I wouldn't have to put lube on the cases or take it off after resizing.

I used to use a set of Lee dies for 9MM and resizing was really tough.  Based on some suggestions on another forum I bought a set of Hornady 9MM dies with a carbide resizing die and that step is so much easier now.  And the brass works just fine in my CZ 9MM pistols.  The Lee dies were sort of like small based dies.  You could see the bottle neck look  in the loaded cases after the bullets were seated and the bullet swelled the top of the case back out from where the Lee resizing die had squeezed it down.  With the Hornady die I don't see that bottle neck look nearly as much.

With the other calibers resizing is easy if the brass is clean.

1 minute ago, M1A4ME said:

I paid extra for carbide  dies so I wouldn't have to put lube on the cases or take it off after resizing.

No reason to "take it off" ...

Very little spray lube in a plastic bag of cases - let it dry a few hours - and reload.

No "taking it off" afterwards.

Works great - easier to reload.    :) 

2 hours ago, rustybayonet said:

On 9mm the question is: how do you clean the brass. I tumble with corn cob. I tried lube with 9mm on my 550 and think the differance was minimal.

I tumble with corn cob and I find a difference with lube - no cost, no sweat, no problems - just easier.    :) 

Just tried the One Shot. Big difference. So how are you guys applying the One Shot. Direct spray ? In a bag ? How ?

Yes throw them in a Ziplock back hose them down shake the piss out of it leave the air in when sealing the bag it helps. Let the lube dry down before running through the press.

Also you can make ur own case lube with lanolin and heet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For pistol I use one-shot, and lightly spritz on cases in a flat tupperware container, about 10x14".  2-3 quick spritzes and shake around, let dry for a few min and then dump in the CF.  For Rifle I use Dillon case lube.

In the recipe thread, a guy talks about just laying brass out on an old towel and then spraying & working around in the towel a bit. I am going to try that next but a baggie or box will work. 

I always spray brass when it is laying on its side . 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

20 hours ago, 78Staff said:

For pistol I use one-shot, and lightly spritz on cases in a flat tupperware container, about 10x14".  2-3 quick spritzes and shake around, let dry for a few min and then dump in the CF.  For Rifle I use Dillon case lube.

The tupperware type container I had been using had a groove around the edge of interior I guess to drain away liquid from food, not sure... anyway it would catch brass and flip it upright, which reduced the amount of brass to brass contact when shaking to distribute the lube/spray better - I ran across a similar container at the dollar store (but it was $5 :( ) but it has a completely flat bottom, just like a cardboard box would, which is what a lot of folks use.  So I'll give it a try and see if it works better.