Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34

Jerrymarsh

I would get a Jager SS Guide Rod with a 13lb ISMI recoil spring.  It will shoot Flatter with Factory ammo and also if you occasionaly shoot lower PF ammo you wont have any FTF issues. I use a 13lb ISMI with American Eagle 147 Gr. Flat point and also with 115 Gr. Steel Challenge 120 PF ammo both with the 13lb Spring.

It'll shoot just fine right out of the box.  Of course most of us are not happy with just "fine".  Depending on what you are going to do with it, I'd just pick my favorite aftermarket trigger or trigger parts as has already been suggested and then get rid of the horrible stock sights.  I'd suggest Taran Tactical for the sights.....

Shoot a few matches and shoot some other people's Glocks and ask whats been done to them.  Make notes to what you like and didn't like.  I have taran's sights, guide rod, 13 lb spring and trigger kit.  Thats all been done.....so far.

Edited by oddjob

• 4 months later...
I would get a Jager SS Guide Rod with a 13lb ISMI recoil spring.  It will shoot Flatter with Factory ammo and also if you occasionaly shoot lower PF ammo you wont have any FTF issues. I use a 13lb ISMI with American Eagle 147 Gr. Flat point and also with 115 Gr. Steel Challenge 120 PF ammo both with the 13lb Spring.

Ditto. Test the loads you want to shoot one-handed weak side. Any FTFs indicate a 13-lb spring is needed.

I would automatically buy sights,  a grip plug,  a regular profile slide release,  and maybe grip tape (more important for gen 3s). 

Then the next step would be guide rod, recoil spring,  and a connector/spring kit.  

These mods should be under $200 total which isn't that much when you consider how much money can go into a CZ,  tanfo,  etc and how well the G34 can shoot with these mods. 

People are suggesting shoot other people's Glocks to see what you like but honestly most of these mods are no brainers.  The things that might benefit from testing are seeing which trigger setup you like,  maybe recoil spring weight but it seems like most use 13 lbs while  some like 11 lbs or 15 lbs,  and basically which subtly different fiber optic sight setup you prefer. 

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

On 12/29/2016 at 5:05 PM, 9x45 said:

Only the fundamentals, stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control.

This really sums it up....I've done all kinds of regrettable things to my polymer "perfection" but it really boils down to what was said above.  Enjoy your new shootin' iron. 

11 hours ago, pcs352 said:

This really sums it up....I've done all kinds of regrettable things to my polymer "perfection" but it really boils down to what was said above.  Enjoy your new shootin' iron. 

I wouldn't say all modifications are negative.

I would argue that a good set of sights from Warren/Sevigny/Dawson/TTI and a 13lb ISMI recoil spring on the factory guide rod are 100% positive improvements to every 34 on the planet.

After that, I suggest polishing the internals if you feel like it, and grip tape if you're shooting a 3rd gen like mine.

A change to the non-extended slide stop and mag release may be needed depending on hand size and how you grip. Being a lefty, the stock ones are still installed in mine and I can't hit them on accident.

Then buy a few thousand rounds of ammo and refuse to change anything until you make it to C class or B class. By then you'll know what you're doing when fancy gold anodized parts which might choke your gun begin arriving in the mail.

(Hopefully, you'll realize that purchasing them isn't needed to shoot a Glock and win at all, but that's a different topic entirely.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1.    In purchasing a new 34, is there an advantage with the gen 4 over the gen 3?   Reading here, there seems to be a consensus that the 35 really benefits from the gen 4 spring/recoil assembly.  

Wondering if that follows with the 34. (I see no advantage other than the backstraps on a gen3 v. gen 4 17 or 19)

2.   Has anyone used (pro or con) the full length guide rod with the non captured spring that's available at the glockstore?

2 hours ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

1.    In purchasing a new 34, is there an advantage with the gen 4 over the gen 3?   Reading here, there seems to be a consensus that the 35 really benefits from the gen 4 spring/recoil assembly.  

Wondering if that follows with the 34. (I see no advantage other than the backstraps on a gen3 v. gen 4 17 or 19)

2.   Has anyone used (pro or con) the full length guide rod with the non captured spring that's available at the glockstore?

1. The overwhelming benefit, in my opinion, was OEM beaver tail back straps included to allow me to shoot production and CO without getting slide bite like mad. I'm also a big fan of the updated OEM magazine release. The old standard mag release was a bit too small and the gen 3 extended mag release, without a touch up with an Emory board (and, thus, kicking me out of production), absolutely destroyed my support hands palm. If you're not concerned about fitting into a specific division with your gear, these considerations are rendered moot. Secondarily, the gen 4 is a bit more left hand friendly than the previous generations, though not fully ambidextrous (the slide release still isn't reversible).

2. I prefer non captured guide rods. I haven't used the specific one to which you refer, but I have used both polymer and steel guide rods that I found online (IIRC jager is who I used) and I am a big fan as it's easier to, first, tune your recoil spring and, second, replace your recoil spring when necessary. 

I agree with most everyone so far in this thread in feeling like less is more when it comes to Glock pistols, especially when first getting the gun. The one caveat to that is sights. I will replace the sights as soon as I get a new Glock. I can not stand the standard Glock sights. But when it comes to small internal parts and controls, prefer OEM as I put a premium on reliability over trigger pull and have found, when you start chasing the trigger fairy, you'll find that your light primer strike and trigger reset issues will increase. 

5 hours ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

The mag release is larger and you get backstraps plus an extra mag. You might not need grip tape either. The dual spring setup is honestly probably not a benefit in either the 34 or 35 for comp shooting since you will probably want to run a single lower weight spring. You would need an adapter for the gen 4's.  

I am guessing you refer to the extended guide rod. It is okay, albeit a little more annoying to put back in the slide than a captive or shorter guide rod. It also doesnt look as cool as it sounds. 

IPSC in the Netherlands with a Glock 34 places me in the standard division and not production. Next to training and attending matches I have used small things to give me more confidence. Most of it is also mentioned above by polymerfeelsweirdman and others , beavertail adapter is included in gen4.

As a Dutch guy I have placed my costs next to it.

• other sights. After tried different ones from other Glock users, I have bought me a set TruGlow TFX that was good for me and is still within the IPSC box measurements. (cost 180.- euro)
  • polishing internals (cost 0.00 euro). gives a nicer trigger feel
  • griptape used, changed to silicium carbide with epoxy (cost 15.- euro). gives a awesome grip
  • thumb rest "dowell-style" (cost 27.50 euro). gives more control of your recoil
  • small aluminium magwell (cost 49.50 euro). easier magazine loads
  • extended magazine bottom Arredondo ( cost 25.- euro). loads your magazine up to 20 rounds and keeps it within the IPSC measurement box

I started with reloading a couple of months ago and have now a really nice "recipe" with a low recoil. But it also forced me to use a lower weight spring. Ammo: 9mm - 147gr. RN. And then I went overboard with trigger and striker pin. I found out that in my situation this was not really needed and a waist of money.

.25c trigger job, polish, save your money for more ammo. The more I get into this sport, the more that trigger time is more important. Be careful of gun part envy. Definitely has gotten the best of me!!

• 1 month later...

On mine, which is a Gen4, I added 10-8 Performance sights, Vanek Custom Trigger kit, Jager heavy SS guide rod w/ Wolff 15 lb spring, factory non-extended slide release, factory extended mag release, granular talon grips, and a Pearce grip plug. 

With over 2500 rounds through the gun, I can say that none of it has affected reliability.

ETA: The purpose of this gun is primarily to shoot IDPA SSP division.

Edited by Captains1911