Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Lube Question

gerritm

Love my 38 super DVC. Shoots great, and flat. About 3K rounds on it. But, seem to have random feeding issues.

After cleaning and lube with what I have always used. Mobil 1 5-20W on all surfaces. Gun runs great for the first 100 -- 200 rounds or so. Then I will get a random feeding problem, either slide doesn't finish seating the next bullet and I rack it out or a double feed and I drop and reset the mag to correct.

Thought it was the mags, 2--170 MBX, 1--170 STI, grams follower & spring, stock 140 STI. Bought the Dawson tuning kit, all were out of specs, got them all where they should be. Keep the mags clean. Didn't help.

Putting 2 & 2 together I am thinking as hot as the weather is and the gun being very tight still, it is the lube. Tolerances are expanding or oil is burning off. I have a can of Royal Purple gun oil spray in my bag and I have been squirting on the slide rails when it happens and it seems to correct the problem. Happened yesterday during a 100 degree day. Always towards the end of the match. Really screws up my match.

Used to use Slide Glide on the rails of my Limited Tanfos with Mobile 1 on other parts. Never any problems. Only M1 on open Glock. Should I go back to SG & M1 on this gun? Gun is very tight.

Thanks, gerritm

In my opinion, you can never have too much lube on a 2011.

I also shot a match last weekend, and had the slide sticking at 150 rounds. Couple of drops of oil and no problems the rest of the match.

Not the worst idea to add more oil every couple of stages, or half way through the match.

only lube i use on my STI 9mm open gun is Slide Glide I never found the need to lube a gun during a match..... it may be that the Mobil One has not allowed the gun to "break in" ? if you used Slide Glide before with good results.. it may be a good idea to try it on your new shooter ..

Edited by cecil

I shoot 2 dvc's in 38 super, a steel master, and my edge... all lubed the same way after cleaning. I spray the barrel with an amsoil spray lube. Coating it completely on the outside. I use a needle bottle to fill the rails on the slide with mobile 1... 4 drops on the lower rails and assemble. Wipe the gun down after its together and shoot... I never lube or clean during a match and have had zero issues

I am new to all steel open guns and major power. Gun runs hot, weather is hot. Especially after long, high round count, fast shooting stages. Not sure on the extractor tension. It is what ever the stock one from the factory, gun has really run great right out of the box other than this. I do have an Aftec ready to go if needed. It does seem to be getting a little worse as the weather has gotten hotter. Doesn't happen all the time.

I did a break in period and ran AA factory for the first 500 rounds or so. Now I run 124gr JHP @ 1.235 with 8.5gr of HS6.

I will go back to SG and see what happens.

gerritm

If it is extraction problem, aftec would be the best replacement extractor. I had the same issues in the past but when I switched, zero problems!!

I also quick spray my gun with wd40 before the match and in between stages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by brytec

I don't think it's a lube problem. I've used Mobil one in all kinds of weather and never had an issue

Why then if I put some oil on it does it work? Seems to be a common idea from to keep it well lubed even during a match? I have used Mobile 1 on my other guns including my 3-gun AR and MKA 1919 shotgun. Both like to run wet especially the shotgun. Maybe the combo of heat & HS 6 powder being kind of dirty?

gerritm

Guy told me in 1911 and such that if there is not oil on your glasses it's not lubed enough. I lube mine with what other may seem excessive but I don't have many problems with my 4 2011 running well and I think it might be a factor

That is what my instructor said when I took an armorer school for AR 15's. If it ain't splashing on you're face you don't have enough. He is the one who told us to use Mobile 1.

gerritm

Could be a burr developed somewhere. Maybe clean and degrease the crap out of it and inspect closely even with a strong lens of some kind. A lot of oil will hide a binding issue.

I mean check the guide rod, rails, extractor tunnel, etc. every little part, no matter how insignificant it may seem. Because on these things no part is insignificant

Edited by Sarge

Beginning to think it is not lube. Cleaned & lubed for match Saturday with slide glide. 3 stages all good. End of 4th stage after mag change fired 1 more round had a double feed. Cleared and went on. Left MBX mags loaded for Sunday's match. First stage half way through feeding issue and double feed with main MBX mag killed the stage. Went to STI mags and other MBX mag ran perfect last 5 stages. Not sure what is going on. Not a consistent problem witness one mag or time.