Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

has anyone been injured due to reloading?

rustybayonet

The question here: if you followed all the rules have you ever been injured during the reloading process? Reason is I loaded some 223 and dropped a finished one right on the primer. A little flinch but good to go. Just a thought?

uh ok.

isn't there a rule not to drop primers and primed ammo?

the only thing I know happens on a somewhat unpredictable basis

is the primers can blow up. (my guess is static discharge causes this unpredictability.)

I think no one has claimed blood loss.

miranda

I don't see how you can get injured if you follow all the rules.

I got injured by doing something totally stupid. Not a serious injury, fortunately, but one that required a surgery.

What are the rules of reloading? I haven't injured myself by operation of the press alone, but I have blown up a Glock via being a dumbass and forgetting to only put in gunpowder once. A friend of mine also managed to detonate a 1050's primer magazine (likely by mashing on it like a gorilla).

yeah I probably did a little hearing damage when I let off a whole bunch of primers in my old lee loadmaster. fortunately I had the optional primer explosion shield installed.

No matter how cautious we are or how many rules we follow there is a small amount of risk in any activity we do. particularly one that involves flammables and a small amount of explosives.

Hell there have been cases of fit, healthy people in their mid 30s who fell over walking down their front path of their house and died from head injury. They certainly weren't doing anything we'd consider dangerous.

My worse was yesterday I bent down to pick up a shell, hit my forhead on the primer slide and drew blood

This one cracked me up

I've smashed fingers a bit, and a blister on my hand from pulling the handle. Knock on wood

Red

My pride when I screwed up a batch of 500 rounds that I then needed to pull because I forgot to re-adjust the powder measure when changing to another caliber (same powder).

Worse way to get hurt reloading is 1. no powder, or 2. too much powder, or bullet setback.

(Not checking to visually confirm there is the proper amount of powder in the case before

seating the bullet), or

Not sizing the cartridge case properly.

Worse way to get hurt reloading is 1. no powder, or 2. too much powder, or bullet setback.

(Not checking to visually confirm there is the proper amount of powder in the case before

seating the bullet), or

Not sizing the cartridge case properly.

Can you elaborate on 1?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For any number of reasons, it's possible that you will throw ZERO powder,

or very little powder, while reloading ... (I have 200 rounds which contain

anywhere from 0 - 7 grains of powder, and can't tell which is which).

Best way to avoid it is to have a good light that enables you to see into

EVERY case before you seat a bullet.

With no powder (or very little powder), the primer has caused the bullet to

fire just far enough to lodge itself in the barrel.

If you're shooting "on the clock" and perform a very rapid "rack bang",

you can load a fresh cartridge into the chamber and pull the trigger

before you even think of the consequences.

Fresh bullet at PF 135 or 175 tries to get past the blocked bullet already

in your barrel, and BBBBOOOOOOMMMMMMM.

Very important to "see the powder" Every Time Before you seat the bullet ...

Had my fingers mashed 30+ years ago, I was the bullet feeder/collator and my Brother was the case feed and autodrive.

The manual has no rules, and when your a kid some things are learned the hard way. We did manage to load 800 rounds in an hour on an SD though.