Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

*thumb rest [generic]* thumb rest on gun.. Ya or nay

Muldune21

Maybe I will have to check out mount and parking space before deciding on pedal. I do like a left hand out as far as possible grip to control recoil, but I have never shot an open gun, how is recoil and tracking?

I started shooting my Open gun by placing my thumb along the side of the frame mount and was quite happy with that approach. I recently decided to try a thumb rest and bought a CR Speed RHT. It will take more getting used to. That rest is not adjustable and places your thumb higher than without. I don't put much, if any, down force on the rest. I still push against the side of the frame mount. It does seem to help with dot tracking and if I decide it a plus, I'll try an adjustable one.

They don't solve a problem, especially if your grip is good. Who wins nationals with a thumb rest? No one.

Jerry Miculek says thumbs don't do anything for shooting, and I stand with Jerry because he is greatest.

You should really focus on developing a good grip.

I use them on my open guns and I like it. Try it out and see if you like it. Some do and some don't.

I did have the mounting area milled about half the thickness which brings the pedal closer to the gun and gives me a more consistent grip.

I hear both sides, I think I would like to try it just for a consistent rest point. I think all the top tier guys you have to take with a grain of salt, they are bad ass freaky talented.

The advantage to using a thumb rest is grip consistency. There are a lot of different thumb rests on the market that place your support hand in different positions. The key is to find the one that naturally supports where your thumb would ideally go. If the thumb rest is in a natural position it will not torque the pistol if you apply more pressure. I purchased a few before settling on one similar to the rescomp design, but I'd recommend handling a few different variant to save frustration and funds.

Anyone use them on limited guns?

Same thumb rest on my open gun. Used an old scope mount as the backer/shield on the limited.

that is one nice limited gun. :) I'm not really a 'limited guy' but I'd happily rock that!

edit: oh and yes I like and use them.

Edited by BeerBaron

I started shooting my Open gun by placing my thumb along the side of the frame mount and was quite happy with that approach. I recently decided to try a thumb rest and bought a CR Speed RHT. It will take more getting used to. That rest is not adjustable and places your thumb higher than without. I don't put much, if any, down force on the rest. I still push against the side of the frame mount. It does seem to help with dot tracking and if I decide it a plus, I'll try an adjustable one.

I recently got an advice to push the thumbrest hard with my thumb and to push up with an equal force on the bottom of the trigger guard with my index finger. The grip should be good when you can rotate the gun in your left hand only with the said grip.

I noticed a huge difference in dot bounce, the dot doesn't even leave the lens anymore

Edited by Janskis