Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best jacketed 9mm for the $

JunotFranco

To me this is like asking what the best raincoat is to run a marathon in. Jacketed bullets are fine for factory ammo where they have no clue what you're shooting the gun in, but for most shooters, jacketed bullets are unnecessary and a complete waste of money. I'm glad to see that many people are going to coated bullets; I've been shooting them since at least 2005.

Precision Delta.

I hear "coated bullets are fine in open guns" all the time, yet at every major match I've shot this year, there was at least 1 or 2 open shooters in each of my squads with random oblong holes in their targets. All shooting coated bullets.

I have yet to find an open shooter tumbling jacketed bullets.

My son's G34 has never seen a plated bullet and it has more than 6k worth of coated lead from S&S through it in the last couple years. Everytime I clean the gun the barrel doesn't even need to be brushed. I just pull a bore snake through it and put it back in the gun.

For jacketed PD, not as pretty as zeros or Montana gold, but the target doesn't know the difference

Ive also been shooting blue bullets out my open gun for over a year, cheaper than PD and the target doesn't know the difference

For local matches I'll shoot blue bullets, for a major I'll switch to PD

I have 500 bayou sitting on my bench, any recipes?

What weight, and what powders? Need to make minor, or just plinking?

For coated 124/5 3.6-3.8 gr TG at 1.1-1.5 is a range. Plunk test for COAL and start on the low side using chrono.

Precision Delta are 8.9 cents per bullet with free shipping if you buy 2000 or more. They're as cheap as a lot of plated bullets. If you're not into coated lead, Precision Delta is an absolute no-brainer.

No love for Montana Gold anymore? They aren't much more expensive than PD and support a lot of matches. That said I've been shooting Ibeji Head coated bullets however, if I needed to shoot to 50+ yards I'd go MG or Hornady.