Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sidenote: if I ever build another Tanfo, it’ll get....

1pc sear

guide rod & spring

PD hammer, sear, trigger springs

Dawson .160” tall sight.

Aaaaand a crapload of polishing.

As an ex-owner of a fully triggerpimped Tanfo, I don’t see the need for more than that. Personally.

Maybe I’d stick a Titan in it. But probably not.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

1pc sear

guide rod & spring

Dawson .160” tall sight.

As an ex-owner of a fully triggerpimped Tanfo, I don’t see the need for more than that. Personally.

Yep after going all crazy on my first Tanfo which is now the backup gun, my second Lim Pro is pretty much stock and has functioned flawlessly with comparatively little done to it.

Dawson FO front sight

PD 15.5 hammer and FP spring

PD light weight guide rod

Wolff 10# recoil spring

and most importantly a whole day's worth of polishing

Sure I could get a 1911-ish trigger and a lighter pull.  But I'd rather spend my limited gun time dry and live firing than fitting parts and chasing down light strikes and other problems.  Polishing the crap out of the internals combined with PD's non-stacking hammer spring really makes for a sweet trigger pull (even with the 15.5 hammer spring).  

On 2/5/2018 at 12:06 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

1pc sear

guide rod & spring

Dawson .160” tall sight.

Yup, that's about all it needs. My Stock 2 with 2 rounds of polishing is setup like above with a 6.75lb da and 2lb 10oz SA using a worn 14lb PD hammer spring. I've got less than $100 in parts (minus the grips) and it's fricken awesome.

• 5 months later...

This thread should be updated, some links does not exist any more and there are a lot of valuable info around here like the MemphisMechanic tuning videos that should be listed.

In this thread are very good info about how to deal with light strikes in a Stock II 

@haiedras has good knowledge about SF Tanfos too!

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Aasp76 this thread is old enough that I compiled this list of resources before @PatriotDefense had sold their first production part.

90% of it is now irrelevant unless you shoot IPSC internationally, where their parts are illegal.

Yeap!! that is why it's valuable for me, I shoot IPSC a lot internationally! ?

Just now, SCTaylor said:

@Aasp76 then send the gun to Jim Bodkin (Shooter Ready.biz) and have him do a IPSC work over. Several hundred buck gives you a great gun in compliance with the rules.

¡Thank you, but I don't really need something in particular, but the info is really valuable!

Great great thread.

I don't think it could ever be 100%, but it would be nice to have reference to a couple things: 

1. What oem parts vary from gun to gun? For example, looking at 2 Stock 2's manufactured within 12 months of each other and purchased new, they have very different  firing pins and  rear sight leafs. 

2. What changes are made over time. For example the Tang & Trigger guard are very different between some older and newer models. I suspect less obvious changes, possibly upgrades occur. 

1 minute ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Great great thread.

I don't think it could ever be 100%, but it would be nice to have reference to a couple things: 

1. What oem parts vary from gun to gun? For example, looking at 2 Stock 2's manufactured within 12 months of each other and purchased new, they have very different  firing pins and  rear sight leafs. 

2. What changes are made over time. For example the Tang & Trigger guard are very different between some older and newer models. I suspect less obvious changes, possibly upgrades occur. 

Their frames changed at one point because they used to crack by where the grip meets the trigger guard. they now have a cut-out in that section to prevent this. I was told that when they did this, they also changed the company that supplied the frames and therefore they have now different tangs.

Not sure if this is correct and do not want to propagate false info, maybe someone can confirm?

• 2 weeks later...

@MemphisMechanic I just p/u a new Stock II. I have following your suggestions/videos on polishing the internals, so far the front 1/2 is completed (trigger & bar assm. plunger assm. inside of frame. Haven't done the hammer, sear assm. yet as I'm trying to decide what parts I want to replace with aftermarket stuff.

The only other thing I've done is installed a  stk. hammer spring that has a couple coils removed that I had around from my Limited build.

Other than changing all rhe springs to lower trigger pull, the only thing I dislike is the amount of take-up or pre travel there is in sa.

Would installing a Patriot Defense "Bolo" disconnector take care of this problem? 

Also which 1 pc. sear would you recommend to replace the 2pc. my intention is ro stay with the stock hammer unless you or someone else can honestly say it is a worth while addition. 

I would appreciate any comments from others as to what they would change if they where to build a new Stk. II.

Thanks in advance to all of you that have contributed to this invaluable thread.

"NOTE – For a trouble free install with the BOLO interrupter we recommend you have the Xtreme Sear and Titan Hammer installed on your pistol. These two items are a must if your looking for a trouble free install on your firearm."

That is from PD's website. I can not confirm or deny but I can say they they have treated me well & been a no bull poop group to work with. 

20 minutes ago, SDTMatch40 said:

he only thing I dislike is the amount of take-up or pre travel there is in sa.

Would installing a Patriot Defense "Bolo" disconnector take care of this problem?

Big time. I know it hurts but where I have gotten to is buy once & cry once with Tanfo's. A trained monkey can do the polishing, my success on bolo fitting is 3 of 4, the last gun I think I understood my mistake on but I didn't want to risk another $46.00 plus shipping so I let PD fit the second bolo.

Something else I like about their bolo fitting service is you are not messing about & maybe trashing a bolo trying to get maximum hammer travel in double action, I suspect they have that part down to a science & maybe a half dozen different test bolo's cut down to different heights to see what height a particular gun wants. 

@IHAVEGAS Thanks for the reply. Have you installed a bolo using a stock hammer, or only with one of the Xtreme units? 

Has anyone tried the PD "Bolo" with s stock hammer? 

Am I correct in thinking the interrrupter/disconnector controls the sa pre travel or is it the hammer? 

Thanks again for the help!

Never tried bolo & stock hammer, stock hammer & 1 piece sear worked well for me for everything except reduction of pre-travel.  As mentioned by others it is a good way to go if pre-travel does not make you crazy, for me my other guns already have the bolo & minimal pre-travel & switching back & forth did indeed make me crazy.

Bolo gives you the reduction in pre-travel. 

If you’re not afraid to patiently fit and file?

(1.) Single piece sear from EAA. Not the exteme version. Finish is often better on ordinary sears.

Bolo will delete all pretravel when properly Fit. I like pretravel on my guns so I wouldn’t bolo another build. Soooooo:

(2.) Also add, from Patriot:

* 14lb hammer spring

* Reduced sear and trigger springs

* firing pin return spring

The titan hammer & extended FPB pairing causes the bolo usually to drop in, but is NOT necessary to have a great trigger. Without it, you need to do some fitting to the bolo.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...