Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PMAG Coupler

Anyone have any experience running the PMAG coupler made by Magpul? Is it as stable as the coupler from Springer Precision? I ask because my rifle only likes Gen 2 pmags. Am looking to buy a gen 2 coupler, but Springer has discontinued them.

If anyone is willing to sell one, I'm interested.

Thank you,

John K.

No personal experience with one yet. Bought one thinking it would be good, but was told by a buddy who said, from his personal experience, they don't last and are more of a pain than benefit. I know some SWATers who use something similar and will see what it is and how the like it, and report back. Perhaps you'll have a lot more feedback by then.

Have two M3 gen mags, with ranger plates, coupled with the Magpul version.

Been mostly used as a range toy and a few backyard 3G runs.

Works fine so far, just one thing to watch for is the mags are held close enough together that accessories such as bolt releases and magwells may interfere with the second magazine held off to the left.

i have two of them, one to couple 55g and 75g 30 round pmags, and one to couple two 55g 30 round pmags. they haven't gotten extensive use but seem to keep the two mags nice and tight. haven't use springers so can't compare. they do couple roughly halfway up the mags so in my mind would be more stable/rigid than something that just couples at the bottoms.

regarding spacing and controls, i start mag on the right in the gun so that the mag release isn't blocked. magwell etc on my jp ctr02 doesn't get in the way.

The problem with the pmag coupler is when you insert the mag on the left, the mag on the right can block the ejection port. The sping basepad coupler rectifies this by putting some distance between the two mags.

Edited by Snopczynski

The problem with the pmag coupler is when you insert the mag on the left, the mag on the right can block the ejection port. The sping basepad coupler rectifies this by putting some distance between the two mags.

been running one for a few years and it doesn't block the ejection port. it's close, but a properly tuned AR extracts i bit upward anyway. non issue.

post-2786-0-80023200-1465344614_thumb.jp

I remember when I was running mine it was hitting the ejection port door and pushing it up. it did it with two different couplers and 6 different mags. I just ordered the springers instead. My upper/lower setup is a billet sun devil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used them in the past but there isn't enough space between the magazines to clear the dust cover on my current AR. I moved to the Springer Precision style that also had plus 5 on each magazine and have been pleased with the new result.

For my 20s I use an old MFT coupler from the bottom of seowitz's gear box. I cut the middle out of it so the top and bottom sections could stack close together and fit on the small amount of mag left exposed below the magwell. There are better options, bit it works great.