Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you ever shot a match with your SBR?

optimator

Has anyone here done this? My SBR is my HD rifle. It seems like shooting a match with it would be a better way to see if I have it set up right other than just range trips. Who here has done this?

. It seems like shooting a match with it would be a better way to see if I have it set up right other than just range trips.

yep i have shot either idpa or uspsa matches with my carry / HD guns to make sure everything works as expected (guns, gear and me) under a little bit of pressure, highly recommend everyone do the same.

The club I shoot with uses 3GN rules. Would using my suppressor put me into unlimited?

Problem with suppressor is the timer might not register the shots. I plan on running my CZ scorpion sbr suppressed just for fun though.

We had 2 SBR's today at the match. One hit the 400 yard target, furthest shot on our long range stage. If you run a SBR, know that any comp will be dramatically louder. One of the guys running a SBR today used the Silencerco flash hider mount and it was damn near the most pleasant SBR I have ever been around. Zero unpleasant feeling, minimal concussion.

You can pick up the action cycling on either normal gas or piston AR's with a can on with most timers. Same for the CZ scorpion with a can. The RO will need to be close for the last shot and hold the timer near the shooter's face. This doesn't affect the shooters in most situations as they are likely having too much fun to notice anything other than the awesomeness happening with their carbines. :goof:

I shot my mpx today with the gm9 on it and it did not register with e can. It needs to be close. Really close so you're going to end up with an ro up your ass to get it to register.

Not my HD gun, but an SBR nonetheless:

I have also run my suppressed HD AR15 SBR in a few night matches, but it was too dark for video :devil:

Good stuff. I've always contemplated running my cut down AK74 in a bay style match, I'm sure it would be fun but I'm not in any hurry to ruin my scores worse than I already do...

Good stuff. I've always contemplated running my cut down AK74 in a bay style match, I'm sure it would be fun but I'm not in any hurry to ruin my scores worse than I already do...

Funnily enough, I managed to win the Iron Sight division by a country mile, and even beat my smart-ass son who was running an AR w/optics (with which he normally pummels me into the ground). The straight-time format at this match is unforgiving. Victory is sweet :devil:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Good stuff guys, thanks :cheers: Now the question is, do I run factory with the Aimpoint, or throw a scope on it and shoot practical? In normal duty it wears the Aimpoint. But then I have to download my pistol and shotgun...

I shoot my 12.5" 5.56 in 2 gun matches and 3 gun, too.

I actually built it for factory division 3 gun. Has a Vortex Spitfire 1X prism scope. It is soooo dang fun. Much funner than my 16" rifle. It's loud, but you don't notice it at a match where all guns are obnoxious.

I've shot it out to 550 at the range. Our local 3gun match has a lot of targets beyond 200 and out to 400 and it is no problem getting hits. In fact, it feels more accurate than my 16" rifle!

I have a SHTF upper, but wanted something for comps. I decided to go as inexpensive and stripped down as possible on this as it was sort of an experiment and I wasn't sure I'd like it. The Ballistic Advantage barrel I got on sale for cheap and it has exceeded my expectations by a mile.

IMG_4671_zpsxnnses3a.jpg

Cheap anderson slickside upper

12.5" BA gov profile 1-7 twist carbine gas

Fixed gas with h2 buffer & JP polished spring

Templar Custom brake

ALG m-lok handguard

Vortex Spitfire (this optic is so perfect for this gun, and I feel it makes long shots much easier than a red dot because of it's crisp center dot)

Edited by NoKimberDave

I have shot my 300 blk with suppressor. Did fairly well. First thing after with walk through I noticed was that there were no rifle finishes that week so I shot the SBR in the truck instead of the 16" 5.56.

What killed me though was that on the long range stage we shot at 200 than ran up 15 or so yards and re engaged same targets. I had my dope pretty good at 200 but when I ran up and shot at 185 it didnt click that my 220 subs were 10 INCHES higher. It took me several shots before I remembered my dope change( for 200 I dialed in 5 and held 2.5)

Well, I'm going to try it next month's match. I mounted and bore sighted a Nikon M223 1-4 today. I'll zero it tomorrow. This rifle normally wears a Aimpoint Pro, so we'll see where she shoots in the morning.

I have been running a AR9 SBR lately in matches and it is a blast to shoot. Have taken it out to 250 yrds with a RDS in a couple of outlaw matches. Hits aren't difficult if you know the holdovers.

I have shot it with a vortex spitfire at locals. I usually like it for the bay stages and for that it works well. We had a rifle only match after a pistol match where we shot the match with rifles and added a couple extra targets and removed any steel. 3 of the top 4 slots were sub 16 including 1st and second with sbrs and 4th with a pistol If you wanna have fun and shoot it I say go for it.

I'm planning to shoot bay matches with my SBRs once the paperwork goes through. I don't think I have the ability necessary to run it on a long course hitting 200+ yard targets.

I have run 3 different SBR's competitively (for fun)... I ran my MAC 10 for steel challenge, My 10.5 inch 5.56 for 3 gun (match grade Noveske Barrel is good to 300) and my Mini Draco just for fun at a bay style rifle match.

Sometimes its fun to bring your "non competition" toys just for fun.

With that said, I have been seeing a lot more 13.5 and 14.5 AR's with pinned brakes doing really well in the bay matches. compact package with enough barrel to reach out when necessary.

• 2 weeks later...