Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQing my first USPSA match

BobT

No, no, no ...

We need details .... :cheers:

During a transition/reload...finger in trigger guard/broke 180....all in a couple short seconds....I am an idiot... :blush:

No, you're not an idiot. You do have a couple of things to work on, in dryfire......

Get to work, and we'll see you on the range! :-)

I'm locking this one up.

<p>This Hate rant has turned into a discussion, which is beyond the bounds of the rules for the Hate Forum. Thus, it must be closed.<br /><br />Please review the Hate Forum Rules:<br />http://www.brianenos...owtopic=8097<br /><br />[note: this is a generic response]<br /></p>

:sight:

:roflol:

As opposed to finger off trigger, I think finger along slide. Easier for me to think where it goes vs where it doesn't go.

If u have choice of running right or left, running left to right puts a right-hander in a safer reload position than right to left.

Good luck at next match.

No, no, no ...

We need details .... :cheers:

During a transition/reload...finger in trigger guard/broke 180.

Doesn't sound like you let a round loose during the reload, you will see that happen to someone occasionally if you shoot very much, so it could have been worse. Bullets over the berm are bad for the sport, I don't really understand why it is ok with the rules to point the muzzle over the berm while reloading, and personally I think it is a good idea not to.

Something that can help with the 180 on a reload , when you just can't avoid running toward your weak hand side, is to pick something down range to keep the muzzle pointed at.

Now that I've had a day to relax, it still bothers me, and I am still mad at myself.

I don't remember having my finger in the trigger guard when the RO stopped me, but I believe him, as he was very good, very fair, and very attentive all day. I do know, that I broke the 180 as he was stopping my run, so either way I was out.

The up side is that I reviewed the video my wife took, and it appears I was using good trigger finger control on the other stages, and start of the one I DQed, so at least I have that. Unfortunately, the RO was between me and the camera when I committed the safety violation, so can't review it.

Although I am old and slow, you can see the video here, if you promise not to laugh: https://youtu.be/x721BAawQg0

So, figuring the best thing to do is get back on this horse, and ride it slow and easy. I've signed up for another local match next Sunday.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Bob

You point the gun to the right as you press the mag release. If your shoulders are facing to the right and do this "Point to the right" during a reload, you will break the 180. Watch your gun movement during the reload on the first stage run.

New shooters usually get sucked into facing their shoulders directly at the targets they want to engage. Then when any gun handling happens (reloads, malfunction clearing, etc) they are close to breaking the 180 or beyond.

Practice in your live fire and dry fire training to change the point direction of your shoulders to straight down range during any gun handling events (Draws, Reloads, Malfunctions, etc). Once the gun handling event is over then you can point your shoulders & gun back to the targets you want to engage. Just keep in mind that you need to be aware of the 180 at all times and know if you are within or beyond it at all times. The only way you improve your "180 awareness" is if you set a 180 in your practice and always strive to keep the gun pointed within it at all times.

You point the gun to the right as you press the mag release. If your shoulders are facing to the right and do this "Point to the right" during a reload, you will break the 180. Watch your gun movement during the reload on the first stage run.

New shooters usually get sucked into facing their shoulders directly at the targets they want to engage. Then when any gun handling happens (reloads, malfunction clearing, etc) they are close to breaking the 180 or beyond.

Practice in your live fire and dry fire training to change the point direction of your shoulders to straight down range during any gun handling events (Draws, Reloads, Malfunctions, etc). Once the gun handling event is over then you can point your shoulders & gun back to the targets you want to engage. Just keep in mind that you need to be aware of the 180 at all times and know if you are within or beyond it at all times. The only way you improve your "180 awareness" is if you set a 180 in your practice and always strive to keep the gun pointed within it at all times.

These are words of wisdom.

Very good advice....Thank you....

Keep your gun up when you are moving. You will be quicker back on your sights and its a much safer way to move. Every time you dry fire practice keeping your trigger finger on the frame or top of the triggergard until it feels funny when its not there. Watch some of the top shooter with how they move and where there guns are.

If you were on your sights on the target you would not have broken the 180* and would have been faster through the position. Keep your head up though. We have all dq'd or will dq. There was no AD and the RO did not have the gun pointed at him so its a learning experience.

My first DQ was at an IDPA match. The front sight caught on the holster when I drew the gun and instead of coming out I ended up flinging it into the air and part way down range. A buddy of mine was recording the run. I'm thankful he didn't add sound effects to it before he sent it to me.

The front sight caught on the holster and instead of coming out I ended up flinging it into the air.

I'm guessing you draw using the "scoop" technique ....

Place three fingers under the grip and "scoop" the gun out - acquire

the rest of the grip later.

This is just another advantage of pressing your hand down on the top

of the handle, acquire the grip in the holster and draw the gun all

ready to fire. :cheers:

The front sight caught on the holster and instead of coming out I ended up flinging it into the air.

Place three fingers under the grip and "scoop" the gun out - acquire

the rest of the grip later.

This is just another advantage of pressing your hand down on the top

of the handle, acquire the grip in the holster and draw the gun all

ready to fire. :cheers:

You can drop the gun using either technique.

I would prefer it if I did not know this.

I ended up flinging it into the air.

You can drop the gun using either technique.

I would prefer it if I did not know this.

I'm sorry you know it, too. :ph34r:

Lot more difficult (less likely) to drop the gun if you have

a secure grip on it, than if you're lifting it with three fingers. :cheers: