Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What locking holster for 2011 for 3 gun?

louu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently went through this with a Para PC18.9. I followed the above posted vid and was able to make the GLS work perfect. It did take some work with the dremel to get it right and had to add the shim. $40 was cheap enough for me to whack away with the dremel. For a while, I couldn't get it to consistently lock in. Sometimes it would and sometimes not. I had to examine it closely to see why and really it just need a bit more of the body cut back in a certain spot. That and cutting down the release lever on the inside too. That holster is great now. I have an older 90's Para P16-40 that wouldn't lock in after I had done all the work for the new Para. For some reason it needed to seat slightly deeper. A bit more dremel and now they both lock in solid. I was able to use a "T" shaped adapter from Safariland and drill holes to adapt an ELS clip to fit the GLS holster.

I had the same issue lissted above with the ALS holster. Every time I drew the gun I would wind up with the thumb safety off. I couldn't get the gun out with out hitting the thumb safety. The GLS is very easy to use, Locks up totally secure and is natural to unlock.

Can you hook the GLS up to an ELS fork?

I made a simple aluminum adapter plate to couple mine to an ELS fork. Works great. Grab me at SMM3G and I will show you.

I use the Invictus holster drop on my GLS with the larger Safariland forks.

I picked up a GLS earlier this month to use at resurgence 3gun, I got to say its pretty amazing, It fits my M&P's, glocks, STI's and 1911 & CZ LS (needs shim). holds them well enough.

Edited by DocMedic

I would say from experience that the ALS/GLS are the best retention holsters on the market.

I agree - I run GLS, my son runs ALS, and both get the combination of speed and security about right for 3-Gun. However, more options are better. For pistol-only stages I run a non-retention Bladetech. For stages with mild retention needs I run the GLS. For 3-gun stages where I will be carrying the pistol plus one slung long-gun while shooting the other long gun (a rare circumstance), I prefer the 5.11 ThumbDrive as it is virtually impossible for the sling to hook under the handgun's grip and release the retention device (a low, but not zero, probability).

I have a Bladetech Ice for my Edge. Maybe not the strongest of retention holsters, but I can hold it upside down and it doesn't come out even with some good shaking. FWIW.

Does g-code have retension?

G-code has a spring loaded rotating hood. It will not work a LDC though

If you have a heat gun, you can make it work. They mold it off a Tactical model which happens to be the only narrow full length dust cover. I love mine but it did take some work to reform it to fit the wide dust cover. To me, the hood drops in half the time of a wrs and that's why I went with g code.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stupid question. Does the caliber matter in this instance? I'm going to run a 2011 in 3 gun in 9mm. All the holster guys seem to think 2011s only come in .45ACP.

Nope, they are all the same size on the outside.

Update:

The gun is an STI Apreio with a full length dust cover.

I got this holster

http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-578-683-551-Pro-Fit-Holster-Slide/dp/B00UTMDGI2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I had to cut about a half inch off of the release lever and cut a notch out of the back of the holster to clear the mag release. Also had to install the shim that comes with the holster.

It's not a snug fit, the gun does wiggle around a little bit but it does not come out without using the release. It also does not AD the trigger with the safety off (no ammo in the gun just testing it for safety reasons, relax keyboard safety nazi's).

I'm pretty happy with it Im probably gonna add some kydex to the bottom to keep the barrel out of the dirt if I have to shoot sitting.

Anybody have a recommendation for a long wide dust cover holster?

The Safariland that is mentioned above. The GLS fits just about all 5" guns, just install and remove the 'shim' as needed.

Edited by The Donald

Done and done!

New edit: God I'm slow this morning. Does the ELS as opposed to the QLS cause me any issues with in the rules? It was explained to me, on here I believe, that I needed QLS system to remain legal in 3-gun.

Edited by Thaunk

Done and done!

New edit: God I'm slow this morning. Does the ELS as opposed to the QLS cause me any issues with in the rules? It was explained to me, on here I believe, that I needed QLS system to remain legal in 3-gun.

You mount a holster with either a ELS (smaller of the two) or a QLS. The QLS is better to mount a holster due to it's larger size. The ELS work better for magazine and shot shell holders.

Not sure of any rule set that mandates QLS for holsters. Most rules I'm familiar with, "must retain the gun, cover the trigger, etc". Not too concerned with how it mounts to your belt.

QLS has more "break away or tearing strength" than the ELS. However, we are not dealing with people trying to rip our guns off our belts.

I run ELS on my holsters, one, its cheaper and allows me to switch between a bunch of holsters for different games. Two, for high round count rifle/shotgun stages, that extra space comes in handy. If you hard mount or have a QLS for holster, you don't have that option.

Good luck