Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What locking holster for 2011 for 3 gun?

louu

I use the Safariland 6378 with a G34 now and love it. I just bought a STI Apeiro with a full length dust cover and want the same style holster but Safariland does not make one.

This is the 6378

DG_6378_black_zoom_interior_zpsbqhszzst.

DG_6378_black_gun_with_belt_zps0pzoahis.

I like this style because it protects the gun for down and dirty 3 gun and holds it 100% secure.

What are my options and what do you guys use?

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they do make it for the sti. I bought one for my sti tactical for 3 gun because I love the one I have for my M&P. Don't use it because it is almost impossible to use the thumb release without disengaging the thumb safety on a 1911/2011.

Well I tried the ALS holster because I had a bad drop of my pistol when a rain jacket got stuck in my non retention holster. When I ran the jacket pulled my gun out of the holster. Gun landed pointing down range and due to the loose rules of the outlaw match they let me pick it up and continue.

I went to a bladetech with an upgraded thumb screw. If I start on my pistol I loosen it up for a quick clean draw. If I start with the shotgun or rifle I crank it down a bit for better retention. That and I pay better attention to clothing getting stuck in my holster. Its a compromise but seems to get the job done. I still have thought about modifying my ALS holster so that I can use it without hitting the guns thumb safety.

I use an als for work and wanted the same for my edge. It was a no go because as mentions, the Als and the safety went at the same time. I tried the GLS, which didn't seem very secure with any pistol I tried in it. To fit the Edge, the lock release needs to be shortened because it hits the 2011 grip when you deactivate it and if you have an extended mag release, the holster needs to be cut there also. Did I mention it still didn't lock in securely.

The blade tech WRS is now back in use. It holds the pistol, locks it in, is fast to draw from and didn't need a dremel. I wanted to stick with a safariland but its a not go. I do think its funny that with all the gear they make for 3gun, they don't make a holster for one of the most popular pistols for the sport.

GLS locks securely. Not sure why yours wouldn't. Did you adjust the tensioning screw? And install the trigger guard shim per the instructions? I used an Edge with it prior to my current gun. GLS lever does need to be modded to work due to the wide 2011 grip.

Edge will fit an ALS also. Lots of posts here on the site of what model to use and what to do to make it work. The model details are also on the video linked above. It is the model meant for the Springfield Operator. Five minutes with a dremel solves the safety issue, and then don't need to bother with any silly hoods or thumb drives.

But run what works best for you! :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Edited by AustinWolv

GLS locks securely. Not sure why yours wouldn't. Did you adjust the tensioning screw? And install the trigger guard shim per the instructions? I used an Edge with it prior to my current gun. GLS lever does need to be modded to work due to the wide 2011 grip.

Edge will fit an ALS also. Lots of posts here on the site of what model to use and what to do to make it work. The model details are also on the video linked above. It is the model meant for the Springfield Operator. Five minutes with a dremel solves the safety issue, and then don't need to bother with any silly hoods or thumb drives.

But run what works best for you! :-)

Shim installed and adjusted. The body had a lot of flex and if the pistol was twisted at all it would come unlocked.

The Springfield operator ALS can be made to work but the ALS button sits right by the thumb safety. I could not draw the pistol without knocking the safety off. I don't want the safety off until I want it off. Besides, full dust cover 2011's are all over the sport. There is no reason they couldn't make a 3 gun holster that doesn't need a heat gun and a dremel to work.

You are right and wish they would, they could make a holster. Market isn't big enough to do so I'm guessing, i.e. the same reason they don't make ALS with light holsters for guns like the P30. There aren't really that many 3gun people compared to LE and general users.

Still don't know why your gun would come out, locks in and very secure with the 3 different guns I've used with it.

Edited by AustinWolv

Thanks for the ideas guys.

1time, I called Safariland Friday and asked them my original question. They were very nice but told me they don't make one specifically for the 2011 full cover. I asked them why not and told them 3 gun is a growing sport. They said they know but it would take a huge order for them to retool to make a holster for a new gun.

I'm debating if I want to spend a hundred bucks on the Safariland GLS and have to hack it up to work or go with the Blade Tech WRS and deal with the weird hood.

Are there any other options out there?

GLS is like $40-45. Whoever is selling it for $100 is ripping someone off. ALS costs more like $80-100, as I recall it.

I got my gls for like $40. that makes it much more appealing for a dremel job. that being said, I ordered a g-code hoping it will be better.

I believe EazE (Dillen Easley) has both, so maybe he can offer a comparision.

GLS is like $40-45. Whoever is selling it for $100 is ripping someone off. ALS costs more like $80-100, as I recall it.

I got my gls for like $40. that makes it much more appealing for a dremel job. that being said, I ordered a g-code hoping it will be better.

I believe EazE (Dillen Easley) has both, so maybe he can offer a comparision.

Bass Pro Shop was where I first found the GLS, was like $54 but had a bunch of gift cars so no big deal. GT Dist is like $43, and they have 20% at different times of the year.