Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel or Polymer grip 2011

Novock

I am getting ready to make a move on a CK Arms 2011 Open gun in 9mm for USPSA and 3 gun.

For $400 extra I can get the Steel grip... Is it worth the coin? I shoot open now and know that the heavier the lower/frame and the lighter the slide the faster the gun cycles. I also prefer 115 grain projectiles for the faster feel...

Any reason not to get the steel grip other than cost? I figure I am already spending a pile of money for what i want... might as well get it the way i want it. Just want to get some feedback from you guys who have shot the polymer and steel grips and see if there is a big difference.

Edited by Novock

I have the steel grip and love it personally. Going from a glock 34 to a full steel 2011 was a big change. But I would not trade it now that I am used to it.

I went with the same philosophy on the buy once cry once and couldn't be happier. 24ac6e23435a19692a74877969e031f4.jpg

that is beautiful....

Yep i have a Glock 17 Open gun that runs like a top, but am ready to make the move to the 2011. What was the biggest difference for you? Grip angle?

I don't think it can be said it's objectivity better or worse to add seven ounces to your Open gun because the extra weight may do something different for your shooting than mine.

I started Open at the other end of the spectrum from you: a CZ TS I turned into an Open gun, tipping the scales at 54oz empty. Your G17 probably weighs less than 40oz, am I right? For me, draws and transitions are much faster with a gun in the 42oz range. Balance is also important, a big steel comp may help the gun shoot flatter, but it also transitions like a turd on a stick; I prefer Ti or aluminum comps.

Before you spend the money on a steel grip I suggest you shoot a steel gripped Open gun for a stage, a Limited gun is a different animal altogether.

Edited by kneelingatlas

that is beautiful....

Yep i have a Glock 17 Open gun that runs like a top, but am ready to make the move to the 2011. What was the biggest difference for you? Grip angle?

I would say I shot my glock pretty good, but going to a quality 2011 was a major change. The trigger was probably the biggest change for me. Going from a glock 3.5# trigger to the trigger on this thing was night and day. Made my splits faster and made the long shots much easier to make.

I went from a plastic grip svi to a all steel caspian and I definitely prefer the steel. It feels like the weight of the gun is in your hand VS on top of your hand. But, that is no small chunk of change to commit to an unknown factor for you. I suggest trying out someone else's before dolling out the $'s.

Once the adrenaline gets going it is possible to squeeze a plastic grip so hard the mag won't drop. Happens all the time to a friend at the club. When he is just practicing, everything is fine. When it counts, he often has to pull the mag out by hand. Personally, I'd go with metal.

Once the adrenaline gets going it is possible to squeeze a plastic grip so hard the mag won't drop. Happens all the time to a friend at the club. When he is just practicing, everything is fine. When it counts, he often has to pull the mag out by hand. Personally, I'd go with metal.

^ what he said. If you can, spend the $$$, no on I know who has, has had any complaints....other than it is exactly a drop 'n swap.

You won't regret your decision, I have both. Make sure the grip safety is disabled however, I couldn't enable the steel gripped gun for anything (forgot to ask for it to be disabled)

b16027af33f150f536379034dbaaa266.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You won't regret your decision, I have both. Make sure the grip safety is disabled however, I couldn't enable the steel gripped gun for anything (forgot to ask for it to be disabled)

As you have both side by side, can you give a synopsis of how the feel varies sizewise between the two grips? Visually the steel grip looks larger but everyone seems to say its more comfortable. No one around me has one for me to try it out, also trying to decide between plastic or steel. Thanks!

As you have both side by side, can you give a synopsis of how the feel varies sizewise between the two grips? Visually the steel grip looks larger but everyone seems to say its more comfortable. No one around me has one for me to try it out, also trying to decide between plastic or steel. Thanks!
It feels more comfortable for sure. And the recoil "feels" softer. It certianty doesn't feel any larger to me, just different, like you can grip it a small bit higher than the ck polymer. Both have their upsides, only downside is the weight. But if you aren't 10 and scrawny, you will be fine. I would go with the steel again... well worth it. Just make sure the safety is pinned.