Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics

Onepocket

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G-man - semantics perhaps but there was not an Open-only division as there were NO divisions originally. :roflol:

I wasn't really saying it was an Open-only "division" just that everything was what we now call Open...back then it was just a list of rules that all guns had to comply with to compete.

Only 5 People have signed up for CO for Area 2.. Would still be recognizes as a division?

Think it makes a difference that the current rules that allow all production guns (not just plastic ones) have existed for only three weeks?

Think it makes a difference that we now have a pres who will follow through on stuff has only been in office a month and 12 days?

Think it makes a difference that it takes time to get guns milled for a slide mounted optic?

Things did not change in the first 24 hours and you think that's important?

I loaned a CO Shadow to a buddy at last night's match.

Looks like we have a new convert

Is he shooting Area 6? We need some more to switch.

no clue, hopefully he is smarter than giving money to those blood suckers tho

• 1 month later...

I'm a relatively new USPSA shooter after a lay off of a few years. My eyes just weren't good enough any more and I was dropping lots of points on no shoots and such so I gave it up. I decided to start shooting again and I was setting up a gun for Open even though I didn't want to be there, but I needed optics for my older eyes. Just as I began setting it up CO was announced. I was one happy camper. I changed the ported barrel to an unported one and I was off. The only difference between what I would have been shooting in Open and CO is the barrel. I wouldn't have gone in for a real race gun and all the other paraphenalia. Seems to me that the division was made just for old farts like me who want to shoot but don't want to spend all of the money to be competitive in Open. I want to shoot just to have fun but I also want to have the illusion of being competitive.

Sorry if you young guys with great eyes don't see it. Maybe we just shouldn't shoot but others should? When our eyes go to hell we should just what, not shoot anymore? I don't see how it affects anyone who doesn't shoot it, so what's the problem? It brings more shooters to matches. I thought that's what competition was about... bringing folks to the shooting sports. :-) Or are the complainers afraid that maybe an old gent in a walker will show how badly they shoot in comparison? I simply don't get it.

It seems to me fragmentation and dividing shooters is exactly what the enemies of shooting want. Instead why not welcome the new shooters who need the new division?

BTW, for a few months I was the only shooter in CO locally. Now I see that there are at least half a dozen at each match. I think that's great; now I have people to gauge my shooting against.

CO is not just for older shooters, it's for anyone who cannot afford the high cost of an Open gun but still wants to be competitive, it's for anyone with vision issues, it's for anyone who wants the challenge of shooting Minor with its higher requirement on accuracy and it's for anyone who enjoys the challenge of figuring out a stage plan with only 10 rounds in the magazine.

I was getting a bored with shooting until I put way the custom Open gun and switched to an XDM with a DeltaPoint back in the middle of 2014. This is most fun I have ever had shooting....

The division is off to a slow start, but I think the CO Nationals will help to ignite more growth.

Unless a new division brings with it something that slows down the overall match (something other than just more shooters---which is kind of the point, isn't it, to grow the sport?), who cares how many people shoot it?

For those who don't like CO, here's some food for thought. If CO is successful, and if manufacturers keep expanding the optics choices on their factory lines. It will be that some day in the near future optics on factory firearms will be the norm, not the exception. When that occurs how long do you think it will be before 1911's, Revolvers, Hi-Cap 2011's all come out set up for or with slide ride optics and then the push will be for them to be allowed in all divisions.

The day will come when an Optic sighted SS, Limited or Revolver will be allowed in their respective Division.

Well maybe not SS, as it is an attempt at a Division that is for lack of a better word Pure and to change that would probably not be wise.

Edited by pskys2

Well I got to put a few rounds through my CO gun today. A few things were evident fairly quickly. It requires more concentration on the dot because of the slide movement. Additionally when shooting plates trigger control and follow through are at a premium.

All in all fun. I'll get my first classifier on April 10.

Your experiences may vary of course.

I do like it. Finally can shoot with both eyes open, actually must use both eyes as it helps with that first shot.

Bruce as I posted that day will come but it will be in either Limited/L10 or an Optic version. Just a matter of time.

So I am a giant newb here and definitely have some questions about CO as it relates to rules. I dug thru and read the rules multiple times, but as a generally new sport shooter I just don't follow all the wording.

I am strongly considering a Glock 17, 19 or 34 to shoot CO. Seems like an easy entry point will be a 17 MOS.

I feel like I will install an optic like the Vortex Venom or FF3 to just get practice in. My main question is what other modifications can be made in CO? Originally I thought it was production only with optic, but reading the rules makes it seem like there are some barrel & trigger swaps that can be done.

Are there other items shooters are changing? In my local group there is only 2 shooting CO currently and neither are shooting Glock for now.

Thanks in advance!