Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics

Onepocket

That is a probability at many stages, but they aren't ALL back to back arrays on 4 targets. Not trying to eliminate ALL reloads, just make it a little more reasonable. Many .40s can't get 16 into a mag (some not even 15, but 1 shot isn't going to make all the difference).

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

140MM Gage is in the rule set for CO already... Lift the 10 round limit an things will stabilize at 23+1 in 9MM and 20+1 for .40. making it a unique division capacity wise and the RO's wont have to use their toes to count (as that seems to be what was the concern at the last BOD review) mag Gage check at chrono just like open and limited..

Edited by 2011BLDR

The 10 round limit is what makes Production/Carry Optics such a challenge. If you want an easier division with a higher magazine capacity then I suggest that a request be mailed to USPSA for Modified division and leave Production/CO as it was originally intended.

OK Folks,
If it wasn't for CO I wouldn't be here. I'm 54 years old and just started shooting handguns last year. I purchased a 9mm for concealed carry and was shocked that my eye sight had gotten bad and i was having trouble seeing my sights.

After reading about the New M&P C.O.R.E I figured what the hell And gave it a try. I found a M&P 9mm from the performance center new for $650 out the door at a gun show and jumped on it. While reading about optics I stumbled on a post about USPSA and CO, (at the time I didn't even know what USPSA was).

I thought it would be fun to try. So I bit the bullet and paid $550 for a RMR. Hot damn I taught I was set until i realized the ported barrel was a no go! for CO.

Well I purchased a Apex semi drop in barrel for $200 to make my gun legal and finally showed up at SWGC for my first match, Not being a member of USPSA yet they let me compete anyway and showed me the ropes. I sucked but learned a lot that day.

30 days later I showed up (As a paid USPSA member) and did way better. I cant wait for the next match.

Oh and one of the things I like is being limited to 10 rounds in the mag. Planning the stage and the challenge of reloading is fun to me. I hope CO stays around.

Here is the link to my first match. I'm Mark Prickett.

https://practiscore.com/results/18137

The 10 round limit is what makes Production/Carry Optics such a challenge. If you want an easier division with a higher magazine capacity then I suggest that a request be mailed to USPSA for Modified division and leave Production/CO as it was originally intended.

News Flash:

Production Optics proposal was shot down by the BOD and is DEAD.

Carry Optics was approved with an intent to evolve the rule set over the provisional period

They are NOT the same thing

Correct!! The reloads are part of the stage execution that adds interest to Prod or CO. Learning to do them quickly, without mishap , is part of the fun. I have never understood why people want more rounds.

I wouldn't mind just a few more (hell even 14) to make it a little different.

Open/limited=as many as you can fit into an extended mag

Prod/L10= 10

SS and revolver 8 (or 6)

It's not Prod, make it its own thing and see what happens.

Already has been mentioned it won't eliminate all that many reloads.

I wonder how many people who shoot it think it should be changed? Or is it just the ones who are sitting back watching who have all the changes in mind?

Wow ... that doesn't seem like the right thing to ask.

This is my m&p core 40 (was already loading 40 for my limited gun) ... got it from buds last week and have a circle/dot jpoint on it ... the competition AEK ... 13lb recoil spring and a nice soft 135pf load ... 180gr 3.3gr bullseye ... hope to get it into a match on Sunday ... some steel tomorrow (for practice) ...

I have a few (co legal) mag extensions coming in today ... (good for shooting steel) ... and will try to play by the rules (or whatever they evolve to) ...

I am modestly classified in limited and revolver but "I think" I would like to be able to have more than 10 rounds in the magazines ...

Will be interesting to see where it goes ... I see a lot of good points falling out of the discussions.

post-61067-0-56148700-1460593719_thumb.j

Correct!! The reloads are part of the stage execution that adds interest to Prod or CO. Learning to do them quickly, without mishap , is part of the fun. I have never understood why people want more rounds.

I guess this is why it's good we have multiple divisions with different rule sets. I was previously a Production shooter, recently switched to Limited and I don't think I'm ever going back. I like the higher capacity so much more and that's the only reason I switched to Limited.

I've wondered if Production is as popular as it is in part because of the 10 round limit or in spite of the limit...

As for CO I was initially really excited about it, but recently have been debating whether I should sell my CO gun and just stick to Limited (and hopefully soon PCC :devil: )

I just don't like that we have another low capacity division being added 12 years after the "assault weapons ban" sunset. We (USPSA) have not added a single standard capacity division in that 12 years, we act like the ban is still in place.

We have three 10 round divisions ( L10, Production & SS minor) and two 8 round divisions ( Revolver & SS Major). 2 divisions that are limited by the magazine Gage, Open @ 29-30 and limited @ 20-21. keeping CO scored minor and allowing the mags that have to Gage on the 140MM side to fill to capacity will create a division that has a unique capacity ( 23) and opens things up to different stage brake downs.

As I've said before, if you want that kind of division then write a proposal and send it to the BOD, what a few people are asking for sounds like the IPSC Modified Division, so write up a proposal for a provisional division and see if you can get enough support to implement it.

The mag capacity limit is gone nationally, but it is still around in a lot of states.

I have no issues with reloads, although I was really bummed at first about not being able to load to 17 or 19. Now that I've shot that way, I like the additional stage planning it adds to the sport. If you have even just 17rds, you will almost never have to reload, and you can pick your ideal spot on all but the 32 round courses.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

i don't care about state laws on mag capacity. What I like about 10 rounds is the variety of guns that are competitive in production (and CO). Lifting that limit will result in a division where 1 gun type dominates, just like it does in limited and open, and you'll have to go buy one of those guns in order to compete.

right now you can download your duty 40 or 45 and compete just fine in production or CO. Or you can use your EDC P01 as an emergency backup when your shadow or tanfo or crappy plastic glock breaks.

I understand why people that suck at reloading and don't want to practice would want to change things, but I still think it's a bad idea to do so.

Edited by motosapiens

I don't see the 10 round limit as a consequence of dumb laws but rather the desire to make these divisions more challenging. Since switching to a 10 round division my enjoyment of the sport has increased considerably, other competitors may see the magazine limitation as a deterrent, but for those that enjoy the challenge of the sport it becomes an attraction.

Putting more rounds in the gun will make the division easier, for me that's a bad thing. I want the challenge, that's why I shoot.

What guns would be no longer competitive with a 14 round limit?

Well, guns in CA. Maybe others (NY, CT?).

So??? I don't plan on going to those states

I was answering IronArchers question. It's not about you, sorry. Why would you think that it was?

Edited by BrianKr