Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Temporarily stopping case and primer feed on a 650

Comes up from time to time as problems when setting up/adjusting.

If you want to stop the flow of the case feed and primer feed you need a coat hanger and something to bend and cut it.

For the case feed you need to form it like this. (Parts removed so I could take photos)

IMG_20160113_160707_848_zpsdy7zxdp2.jpg

And install it like this.

IMG_20160113_160618_996_zps05jbrjvz.jpg

For the primer feed you need to form it like this.

IMG_20160113_161041_071_zpsmbdpxfqo.jpg

And install it like this.

IMG_20160113_161020_001_zpstpguoec3.jpg

For primers you can also just use a ziptie in a loop over the failsafe rod bracket to hold the primer index arm back but everyone has a wire hanger in there house, unless their mom is "Mommy dearest".

To stop the primer feed, I remove the Primer Cam. It's the black plastic ramp that pushes the Primer Indexing Arm. I replaced the hex socket screw holding it on with a length of threaded rod, loctited into the frame. Vinyl tubing over the rod creates a friction fit with the Primer Cam. I had to wrap some thin copper wire around the rod to expand the vinyl a bit to get a proper fit. The cam can now just be pulled off when I want to stop the primers.

To stop the primer feed I was using a Hornady .224 75grain BTHP bullet and just dropping it in the primer feed disk.

I finally went to a piece of brass rod that I turned down on one end to fit the hole. Easily installed and removed.

• 2 weeks later...

Easier still to NOT remove anything and just pull the Primer Indexing Arm as far as it will go then drop something in the next hole on the Rotary Disk to keep the Arm from returning and the disk will no longer rotate.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice. For the case feeder I use a 9mm case.

Yep, that is even easier. Although a 9mm case wouldn't fit in mine but a .223 case would.

IMG_20160114_083814_750_zps11b9qkik.jpg

Been setting up my 650XL .... .223 case works PERFECT and it's easy to take in and out. :D

To stop the primer feed, it's pretty easy to take off the primer cam. It's only one screw to remove that's easily accessible.

This works great... Takes a bit to unscrew it. :D I'll try to make one of the hanger clips next. ;)

i'll use a washer if I try it, no need to trouble the SS. ;)

For the primer feed, I'm a little concerned about jamming something under the arm...afraid I'll bend something. :surprise:

The wire retaining "clip" looks like the winner, long term. But pulling the cam is pretty easy. :D

The 223 case for the case feed is a clear winner. :cheers:

Edited by Chutist